Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew York's reaction to the president of Iran.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: New York's reaction to the president of Iran
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [11.76%]
3 [17.65%]
6 [35.29%]
6 [35.29%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
zicIy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New York's reaction to the president of Iran.
    Posted: October 16 2007 at 13:20

LOL yeah, its more nice to say ": I´m so happy because i can say  to you that my country is full of homosexuals! Any gay,all of them, they have these basicly human rights to get married to each other, and, of course, to adoption some child if they like to do that!!! Cheers!!!" LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2007 at 22:50
Originally posted by Chicapah Chicapah wrote:

He was so informative.  Who knew that Iran is the only country in the world that doesn't have homosexuals?  I  did  not  know  that!

True, they stone them to death when they are discovered.
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2007 at 22:43
Originally posted by Chicapah Chicapah wrote:

He was so informative.  Who knew that Iran is the only country in the world that doesn't have homosexuals?  I  did  not  know  that!

That's because they're all dead.

zicIy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2007 at 14:42
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Still, as Britney Spears once said...........
LOLLOLLOL  she probably said something about that  from a rehab centre LOLLOLLOL
zicIy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2007 at 14:01

imho, there´s  not  any problem with "human rights", "women rights", "homosexuall rights" or any other so called -"rights", there´s  problem coz  Zionists are hurry to steal this crude oil from Iran (as others minerals too), but is impossible today. Iranian people are ready, willing and able to defence their country, no kidding anymore, (AS WAS THE CASE  NOT SO LONG TIME BEFORE!)!

Greetings to President of Iran! ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

Edited by zicIy - October 14 2007 at 14:23
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 10:34
i think he should have been welcomed politely, as much as i dislike him, it's just how any human being should be treated. if america wanted to help the image we have in the world we would have treated him with respect, and let him make a fool of himself if that's what he desired.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 00:39
Yeah theres sticky parts in the whole thing that will obviously and were obviously all politically motivated.
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 16:57
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

He should have been welcomed politely

Because as a head of state of a regional power, he cannot be ignored or ridiculed. Somehow, the US are not helping themselves.

Tell us something we don't know...
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 16:55
but the administration (actually, Dick Cheney, but you can't deny his power and influence) really wants to attack Iran. This helps them get what they want, while the rest of us who aren't mindless sheep agree that the way the Iranian Leader was wrong and brings negative consequences.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 04:04
He should have been welcomed politely

Because as a head of state of a regional power, he cannot be ignored or ridiculed. Somehow, the US are not helping themselves.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Forgotten Son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 10:15
Originally posted by jimmy_row jimmy_row wrote:

well I'd like to know how GW is worse...he is just a much larger figure and thus comes under greater scrutiny.

Intrinsically he may not be worse, but he has more power so his actions have larger consequences.

The motives of the Bush administration are subject to speculation so it is impossible to say that they have any such agenda, they could be doing what they think is best (likely? maybe not, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt

That's not particularly relevant. Ahmadinejad is just as likely to be doing all the bad things he does because he thinks it's for the best, it doesn't make them any less wrong.

And if you're willing to give the Bush administration the benefit of the doubt, despite being responsible for the deaths of far more people, you should certainly extend the same courtesy to Ahmadinejad.

while Ahmadinejad is more explicitly disrespectful and wreckless).

I really don't think he is. He hasn't threatened to attack anyone, for example. Something which the Bush administration has done and followed through on.

you're underestimating the amount of neo-cons and sheep over here

Of course there are many Americans that follow leaders blindly. There's a very complex system of control at work in our societies, developed to keep populations passive while their interests are undermined. Cut out all the spin though, and ask people straight up questions the real views of the average people are clear.

Okay it looks like I've fallen into the propaganda trap...but I could have sworn he said "wipe off the map", I'll have to look for that.

It's very much a case of the lie being repeated so often that it becomes truth. I've taken to questioning everything I hear in the media, though it's really hard to break out of the habit of assuming that the mainstream media are telling the truth.

But anyway, his wish is for the regime to fall, and that beats out (well at least marginally) ol' George's will for the entire world to be democracy (or whatever it's called nowadays....no not proto-fascism! no way! not without a fight.)

But the Bush regime have not only wanted regimes to fall, they've participated in their fall, which is very different from Khomeini's prophetic statement. We're not just talking about Dictatorships and theocracies, either, the US supported the coup of 2002 that overthrew democratically elected Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez.

I'd dispute that George Bush wants real democracy around the world, and could cite a number of examples to support my view, but I think we'd be going to far off topic.

My opinion is that he is using it as a political tool, much worse than not actually believing it happened;

Exactly the reason the Bush administration denies that the Armenians suffered genocide at the hands of the Turks.

I'd like to hear and example of a more crude statement than this from the current administration.

"What we've encouraged the Turks and the Armenians to do is to have joint historical commissions that can look at this, to have efforts to examine their past, and in examining their past to get over it," the AP quoted her as saying. "I don't think it helps that process of reconciliation for the United States to enter this debate at that level," Rice added.

Source

Eerily similar to Ahmadinejad's statements on the Holocaust. The paralells are obvious, but it goes without question that these similarities weren't widely reported. The mainstream media using circular reasoning to justify the demonising of official enemies. Why do we think Ahmadinejad is? Because he denies the Holocaust and threatens the collapse of other regimes. But Western politicians deny attrocities all the time and regularly topple governments that don't suit them? Ahh but that's different, we do these things for noble reasons, Ahmadinejad does them because he's evil.
markosherrera View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 20:39
I BELIEVE THAT WAS BAD the discourse of the president of the University and was bad the discourse or responses of Mammoth Amadjihad....In Iran the discrimination against some  women rights  ,homosexuals(in the same status of criminals) etc is a consequence of  retarded  fundamentalist ideas of muslims
.The president of Ny University made insults....the idea is make attacks to some politics or sistems..not persons.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 20:03
Originally posted by Hirgwath Hirgwath wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

To introduce him in such a poor manner is disgraceful. He carried out his arguments logically as far as I know. And wiping Israel off the map is not necessarily a military action.

He is just as much of an idiotic fundamentalist as our own Bush is. Probably even more of one. He's a holocaust denier. This is pretty much a sign of insanity.

So, given his record of anti-Semitism, the Israelis shouldn't be worried about his statements at all?

Not when he doesn't hold most of the power in Iran and when many people in his own government think he's crazy.
Hirgwath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 15:30
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

To introduce him in such a poor manner is disgraceful. He carried out his arguments logically as far as I know. And wiping Israel off the map is not necessarily a military action.

He is just as much of an idiotic fundamentalist as our own Bush is. Probably even more of one. He's a holocaust denier. This is pretty much a sign of insanity.

So, given his record of anti-Semitism, the Israelis shouldn't be worried about his statements at all?

Skwisgaar Skwigelf: taller than a tree.

Toki Wartooth: not a bumblebee.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 14:53
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 09:35
another link about the rumor/propaganda of "Israel should be wiped off the map"

my opinions about him are negative and between the opinions of Forgotten Son and Jimmy Row. That makes him as bad as the Bush administration, not worse, not better.

And C'mon, this is the Frickin' United States, we can do better than this!Dead

Edited by Zitro - October 07 2007 at 09:37
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 21:05
Originally posted by Forgotten Son Forgotten Son wrote:

It gets a bit hazy here becuase Reagan's role in that whole plot is debatable (now, I'll admit that I am not as familiar with this point in history as yourself, because I wasn't alive yetEmbarrassed) but, say it's an extreme case, I would say that Reagan was a corrupt leader and (obviously) a hypocrite if it's completely true....but his motives were probably somewhat different, as the Reagan administration wasn't particularly violent (although they surely did some questionable things and get entirely tooooo much credit for the whole USSR downfall).

Oh the Reagan administration was far more violent than Iran. The only war Iran has fought in the last few decades was a defensive war against Iraq in the 80s, and a revolution in 1979 otherthrowing the corrupt, oppressive Shah. During that same period the United States was supporting some of the worst regimes in the world, as well as carrying out military operations in Grenada, Libya etc.

I don't think that Ahmadinejad's goal is to win elections; he craves power in a different way, and he doesn't seem to put the betterment of his country above his own power, image, and 'legacy'.

This is true, Ahmadinejad craves power just like any politcian, and like most he has little real concern for bettering his country. He's still a shrewd politician, though, as he knows what buttons to push and how to distract people from domestic problems. Comparatively, though, he's not that bad. well I'd like to know how GW is worse...he is just a much larger figure and thus comes under greater scrutiny.  The motives of the Bush administration are subject to speculation so it is impossible to say that they have any such agenda, they could be doing what they think is best (likely? maybe not, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, while Ahmadinejad is more explicitly disrespectful and wreckless).

true, but his position belies that of a "dictator" moreso than the president or prime minister of a democracy or republic, whereas a theocracy gives more power to one or a select few individuals - he may have been 'voted' in but he does very little to his people's will, and they still don't have some of the freedom's that any human being should have, even in a theocracy.

Sure they're different, but I'd really question whether the neo-cons were doing a lot for the will of the people. In fact they do the opposite of what a lot of Americans want you're underestimating the amount of neo-cons and sheep over here Ouchand the reason they get away with it is shameless propaganda, a lot of which is being spread about Iran, to stop the American people intefering in the upcoming war. Sadly this is very true, the prophecies of Orwell and Chomsky have never been more relevant.

Hazy again...this really depends on your opinion/perception of the war; if, for example, GW & crew went into Iraq believing it was the right thing to do, it doesn't make them bad people, just pre-emptive and hasty (along with all the other supporters at the time, including both political parties...they couldn't have all been fooled now could they?), even considering the terrible death toll, these things can be difficult to predict.

They are responsible, as Noam Chomsky points out, for the predictable conquences of their actions, many people warned that an attack on Iraq could be disaterous but they chose to ignore this evidence and attack, so whether or not their intentions were good or not (I doubt their intentions were good at all), they are reponsible for the carnage that resulted.
yes they are responsible, but I chose a more virtuistic perspective - I think believe there's a possibility that this was done in defense and that the tragic death toll was difficult to foresee (this is a stretch for me because I am generally against any war. period.)

What we have here is a classic case of consequentialist perspective vs. deontological perspective, thus it's down to subjectivity...and I very much appreciate your points, this is the type of thing that really helps me gain more perspectiveSmile

On the other hand, Ahmadinejad wishes to "wipe Israel off the map" and then denies saying it...then says similar things...then denies them.   As much as we don't like Bush, he isn't below this level.

Ahmadinejad never said he wanted to wipe Israel off the map, he quote Ayatollah Khomeini who said:

"The Imam said this regime occupying Jerusalem must vanish from the page of time".

It's a prophetic statement which suggests that a regime will fall, it doesn't call for genocide, as is so unscupulously repeated by the Western media. Ahmadinejad, from what I can gather, supports a single state settlement, which is hardly lunatic or evil. Whether it'll work or not is another matter, but many intelligent people, including Israelis, also support such a settlement. Okay it looks like I've fallen into the propaganda trap...but I could have sworn he said "wipe off the map", I'll have to look for that.  But anyway, his wish is for the regime to fall, and that beats out (well at least marginally) ol' George's will for the entire world to be democracy (or whatever it's called nowadays....no not proto-fascism! no way! not without a fight.)

If denying homosexuality exists, while killing them for their "crime" is "shrewd" then I fear for the future of our planet (welll....I fear for it either way

As I've said, that's been the situation in Iran for some time, long before Ahmadinejad became President. To be clear, when I say shrewd, I don't mean to compliment the man. Shrewd =/= respecting human rights necessarily. Kissinger, for example, was a shrewd politcian, that doesn't make the things he did any less attrocious.

I believe I've answered this throughout...I'll have to admit to a slight bias because I sure as hell hope that the president of my country isn't farther off the deep end than Ahmadinejad, but GW Bush hasn't done anything as ridiculous as denying the Holocaust.

That was very much a political move on Ahmadinejad's part I think. He never outright stated that the Holocaust never happened, rather doubted the veracity of Western claims and rightly pointed out that, if the Holocaust was as bad as people say, that the Palestinians, and the Middle East generally, shouldn't have to suffer for the sins of Europe.
My opinion is that he is using it as a political tool, much worse than not actually believing it happened; I'd like to hear and example of a more crude statement than this from the current administration.
I read an article recently which suggested the reason why so many in the Middle East doubt the Holocaust is because it's used by Israel to justify some pretty barbaric things, and the people of the Middle East are used to hearing all sorts of wild apolagetics for Western colonialism, it could well be that Ahmadinejad is one of these people.

And yes, I think the Bush administration, and administrations before that, have made some far more ridiculous, offensive statements. A paralell example being the US government's refusal to acknowledge the Armenian holocaust.
Signature Writers Guild on strike
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 11:51

It gets a bit hazy here becuase Reagan's role in that whole plot is debatable (now, I'll admit that I am not as familiar with this point in history as yourself, because I wasn't alive yetEmbarrassed) but, say it's an extreme case, I would say that Reagan was a corrupt leader and (obviously) a hypocrite if it's completely true....but his motives were probably somewhat different, as the Reagan administration wasn't particularly violent (although they surely did some questionable things and get entirely tooooo much credit for the whole USSR downfall).

Oh the Reagan administration was far more violent than Iran. The only war Iran has fought in the last few decades was a defensive war against Iraq in the 80s, and a revolution in 1979 otherthrowing the corrupt, oppressive Shah. During that same period the United States was supporting some of the worst regimes in the world, as well as carrying out military operations in Grenada, Libya etc.

I don't think that Ahmadinejad's goal is to win elections; he craves power in a different way, and he doesn't seem to put the betterment of his country above his own power, image, and 'legacy'.

This is true, Ahmadinejad craves power just like any politcian, and like most he has little real concern for bettering his country. He's still a shrewd politician, though, as he knows what buttons to push and how to distract people from domestic problems. Comparatively, though, he's not that bad.

true, but his position belies that of a "dictator" moreso than the president or prime minister of a democracy or republic, whereas a theocracy gives more power to one or a select few individuals - he may have been 'voted' in but he does very little to his people's will, and they still don't have some of the freedom's that any human being should have, even in a theocracy.

Sure they're different, but I'd really question whether the neo-cons were doing a lot for the will of the people. In fact they do the opposite of what a lot of Americans want and the reason they get away with it is shameless propaganda, a lot of which is being spread about Iran, to stop the American people intefering in the upcoming war.

Hazy again...this really depends on your opinion/perception of the war; if, for example, GW & crew went into Iraq believing it was the right thing to do, it doesn't make them bad people, just pre-emptive and hasty (along with all the other supporters at the time, including both political parties...they couldn't have all been fooled now could they?), even considering the terrible death toll, these things can be difficult to predict.

They are responsible, as Noam Chomsky points out, for the predictable conquences of their actions, many people warned that an attack on Iraq could be disaterous but they chose to ignore this evidence and attack, so whether or not their intentions were good or not (I doubt their intentions were good at all), they are reponsible for the carnage that resulted.

On the other hand, Ahmadinejad wishes to "wipe Israel off the map" and then denies saying it...then says similar things...then denies them.   As much as we don't like Bush, he isn't below this level.

Ahmadinejad never said he wanted to wipe Israel off the map, he quote Ayatollah Khomeini who said:

"The Imam said this regime occupying Jerusalem must vanish from the page of time".

It's a prophetic statement which suggests that a regime will fall, it doesn't call for genocide, as is so unscupulously repeated by the Western media. Ahmadinejad, from what I can gather, supports a single state settlement, which is hardly lunatic or evil. Whether it'll work or not is another matter, but many intelligent people, including Israelis, also support such a settlement.

If denying homosexuality exists, while killing them for their "crime" is "shrewd" then I fear for the future of our planet (welll....I fear for it either way

As I've said, that's been the situation in Iran for some time, long before Ahmadinejad became President. To be clear, when I say shrewd, I don't mean to compliment the man. Shrewd =/= respecting human rights necessarily. Kissinger, for example, was a shrewd politcian, that doesn't make the things he did any less attrocious.

I believe I've answered this throughout...I'll have to admit to a slight bias because I sure as hell hope that the president of my country isn't farther off the deep end than Ahmadinejad, but GW Bush hasn't done anything as ridiculous as denying the Holocaust.

That was very much a political move on Ahmadinejad's part I think. He never outright stated that the Holocaust never happened, rather doubted the veracity of Western claims and rightly pointed out that, if the Holocaust was as bad as people say, that the Palestinians, and the Middle East generally, shouldn't have to suffer for the sins of Europe.

I read an article recently which suggested the reason why so many in the Middle East doubt the Holocaust is because it's used by Israel to justify some pretty barbaric things, and the people of the Middle East are used to hearing all sorts of wild apolagetics for Western colonialism, it could well be that Ahmadinejad is one of these people.

And yes, I think the Bush administration, and administrations before that, have made some far more ridiculous, offensive statements. A paralell example being the US government's refusal to acknowledge the Armenian holocaust.
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 16:15

Originally posted by Forgotten Son Forgotten Son wrote:

not to sound hostile

Not at all.

I think this is going a bit too far.  A shrewd politician would be Bill Clinton or Ronald Reagan...knowing the public and marketing your goals and beliefs to gain a following.

Sounds like that's what Ahmadinejad is doing to me, with all his comments about Zionism and American imperialism. Using them as smokescreens to distract the Iranian people from domestic issues. Just as the Reagan administration talked utter rubbish about Nicaragua being only a few days away from Texas, all the while supporting a vicious terrorist campaign against Nicaragua.

It gets a bit hazy here becuase Reagan's role in that whole plot is debatable (now, I'll admit that I am not as familiar with this point in history as yourself, because I wasn't alive yetEmbarrassed) but, say it's an extreme case, I would say that Reagan was a corrupt leader and (obviously) a hypocrite if it's completely true....but his motives were probably somewhat different, as the Reagan administration wasn't particularly violent (although they surely did some questionable things and get entirely tooooo much credit for the whole USSR downfall).  I don't think that Ahmadinejad's goal is to win elections; he craves power in a different way, and he doesn't seem to put the betterment of his country above his own power, image, and 'legacy'.

Ahmadinejad is a violent dictator, there's no masking the torture and suffering that he causes

Not really a dictator, per se. He was voted into power after the real power of Iran excluded the candidates he didn't like. Iran is really a theocracy with mild democratic pretensions. true, but his position belies that of a "dictator" moreso than the president or prime minister of a democracy or republic, whereas a theocracy gives more power to one or a select few individuals - he may have been 'voted' in but he does very little to his people's will, and they still don't have some of the freedom's that any human being should have, even in a theocracy.

As for torture and oppression. Yes, that's rife in Iran, and Ahmadinejad is partly to blame for not doing anything about it, though it must be said, with much of the legal system under the control on clerics he has little influence in this area.

No matter what the suffering in Iran, not inconsiderable as I've said, it pales in comparison to what has happened in Iraq and Afghanistan, and should I say the West Bank and Gaza, all of which the Bush adminitration is in some way responsible for. Hazy again...this really depends on your opinion/perception of the war; if, for example, GW & crew went into Iraq believing it was the right thing to do, it doesn't make them bad people, just pre-emptive and hasty (along with all the other supporters at the time, including both political parties...they couldn't have all been fooled now could they?), even considering the terrible death toll, these things can be difficult to predict.

Originally posted by jimmy-row jimmy-row wrote:

and the absurd things he says...

Sure, he says absurd, sometimes provocative things *you're too kind*, I wasn't aware that claiming Iran has no homosexuals makes one less of a shrewd politician (given the demographic he's aiming to sway) and a cause of more suffering than an adminitration that started a war of aggression that has claimed over 1,000,000 lives.
If denying homosexuality exists, while killing them for their "crime" is "shrewd" then I fear for the future of our planet (welll....I fear for it either wayOuch)

he's clearly more ridiculous than American neo-cons and politicians.

Leaving aside the fact that I made no mention of him being absurd or not, what makes him more absurd than GW Bush?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 14:33

not to sound hostile

Not at all.

I think this is going a bit too far.  A shrewd politician would be Bill Clinton or Ronald Reagan...knowing the public and marketing your goals and beliefs to gain a following.

Sounds like that's what Ahmadinejad is doing to me, with all his comments about Zionism and American imperialism. Using them as smokescreens to distract the Iranian people from domestic issues. Just as the Reagan administration talked utter rubbish about Nicaragua being only a few days away from Texas, all the while supporting a vicious terrorist campaign against Nicaragua.

Ahmadinejad is a violent dictator, there's no masking the torture and suffering that he causes

Not really a dictator, per se. He was voted into power after the real power of Iran excluded the candidates he didn't like. Iran is really a theocracy with mild democratic pretensions.

As for torture and oppression. Yes, that's rife in Iran, and Ahmadinejad is partly to blame for not doing anything about it, though it must be said, with much of the legal system under the control on clerics he has little influence in this area.

No matter what the suffering in Iran, not inconsiderable as I've said, it pales in comparison to what has happened in Iraq and Afghanistan, and should I say the West Bank and Gaza, all of which the Bush adminitration is in some way responsible for.

and the absurd things he says...

Sure, he says absurd, sometimes provocative things, I wasn't aware that claiming Iran has no homosexuals makes one less of a shrewd politician (given the demographic he's aiming to sway) and a cause of more suffering than an adminitration that started a war of aggression that has claimed over 1,000,000 lives.

he's clearly more ridiculous than American neo-cons and politicians.

Leaving aside the fact that I made no mention of him being absurd or not, what makes him more absurd than GW Bush?

Edited by Forgotten Son - October 05 2007 at 14:33
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>