Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen was Family Guy at its best?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: What's the best period of Family Guy?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [46.15%]
1 [3.85%]
13 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: When was Family Guy at its best?
    Posted: October 23 2007 at 10:36
^ Yup, I know what you mean and I agree with you.
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 10:25
Originally posted by Visitor13 Visitor13 wrote:

Let's put it this way - I heard that WWII concentration camp prisoners used to tease one another into handing over their rations to their friends, since they'd be executed the next day anyway and there was no point in having to carry all those extra kilos in dead bodies to the crematorium. I'm sure they actually found this funny.

I would never tell that joke to a concentration camp prisoner.

That's quite close. Just... the spread of certain contents is what I'm more aware off. Jokes about peruvian inmigrants are the base to the violence that those inmigrants end up suffering here. The joke serves as a smooth envelope to carry on with the segregation by making it seem fun. I go back over an over again to a very concrete model: everythyng that exists, exists in language. One has to be careful about the way concepts gain layers of meaning by the use we make of them. It's diffcult for me to explain this in a more deep way using english, but I'm sure there is plenty of information available about this kind of semiotic variations.
¡Beware of the Bee!

Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 11:36
Let's put it this way - I heard that WWII concentration camp prisoners used to tease one another into handing over their rations to their friends, since they'd be executed the next day anyway and there was no point in having to carry all those extra kilos in dead bodies to the crematorium. I'm sure they actually found this funny.

I would never tell that joke to a concentration camp prisoner.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 11:31
Personally I think one should laugh at anything, but that´s just me

I like how the guys from South Park put it, either you make fun of everything or you make fun of nothing, anything in between is just unfair.

Edited by el böthy - October 22 2007 at 11:32
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 11:27
I don't know. I think that you can't really laugh at an unpleasant experience unless you've somehow got over it. And to get over it, you first have to experience it. Somehow I don't think there are any paedophilia victims that can laugh at their misfortune, even if they have 'got over it'. And the people who haven't experienced it, why are they laughing? Surely it just shows their total ignorance of the problem.

Having said that, the same probably applies to jokes involving injury, murder or manslaughter, and I rarely have any qualms about laughing at those... although I do believe one should learn to laugh at one's own death, and maybe even at the death of one's beloved.
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 10:11
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Originally posted by cuncuna cuncuna wrote:

Originally posted by Kid-A Kid-A wrote:

Cuncuna, you are being absolutely rediculous. Yes the show makes jokes about pedophilia, but it also clearly shows it as something sick and disgusting. The pedophile character's only trait is that he is a pedophile. Family guy is a satirical view of society, and it shows how there are sick, perverted characters in the corners of society. If Peter or another popular character was a pedophile, that would be an entirely different story. But it is deliberately a marginal character who you are supposed to hate.

Would you rather people just pretended pedophilia didn't exist? That would actually make the problem worse. The more aware children are of the thread of pedophiles, the better. You really think that jokes about pedophilia on Family guy make the problem worse?

How about jokes about Hitler? Millions of people suffered from him. So can no-one ever make any jokes about Hitler? I certainly think they can.

I guess you don't like dark comedy, that's fine. But get off your f**king moral high horse and stop calling people who do 'inhumane' just because we can take a joke for what it is. People who like Family guy find pedophilia no less sick than you. You're making it seem like we're watching a child get raped and laughing in his face.
First of all, remember that you don't know me at all, meaning, watch the way you adress to me, the terms "ridiculous" and "f__ng moral high horse" are certainly not welcome. As for Hitler jokes, find a joke about jewish people being murdered, and you'll be in front of a tasteless joke. That's for moral. As for jokes as such, Family guy is beyond boring. As for pedophilia, comedy is not the context to discuss it. Read a little about "speech analysis" (I'm not sure if it is the right translation, you know how it is when one has to deal with a high horse). Anyway, if you enjoy crap, hey, don't worry about me!. it's your money and your TV.
Again, why do you keep comming to this poll if you hate the programme so much? If what you look is to make us change our mind about the show, I have news for you, I doubt you will succed. Of course this will be awnsered, which will only make my point more evident... and if not, well, I guess then you will have proven myself wrong.Wink

The reply posted above to Kid-A answers your questions, I think. I'm not trying to succed at anything, mind you. Just spreading a point of view. Who knows, it might be useful. If not to you, perhaps to someone else. This is all about repect. For example, people her have "Argentinian jokes". I don't know a single one, and I certainly hate the idea. Those jokes serve as a tool to spread hate to inmigrants. Same thing with Peruvian people who lives here. I hope this helps.
WHats with the Argentinian jokes? What does that have to do with anything?¿

It's another example of tasteless, negative humor. They serve to the only purpose of justify discrimination. Ok, if you can't see the relation, then this conversation is officialy sterile.
¡Beware of the Bee!

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 23:07
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Cuncuna, you are being absolutely rediculous. Yes the show makes jokes about pedophilia, but it also clearly shows it as something sick and disgusting. The pedophile character's only trait is that he is a pedophile. Family guy is a satirical view of society, and it shows how there are sick, perverted characters in the corners of society. If Peter or another popular character was a pedophile, that would be an entirely different story. But it is deliberately a marginal character who you are supposed to hate.

Would you rather people just pretended pedophilia didn't exist? That would actually make the problem worse. The more aware children are of the thread of pedophiles, the better. You really think that jokes about pedophilia on Family guy make the problem worse?

How about jokes about Hitler? Millions of people suffered from him. So can no-one ever make any jokes about Hitler? I certainly think they can.

I guess you don't like dark comedy, that's fine. But get off your f**king moral high horse and stop calling people who do 'inhumane' just because we can take a joke for what it is. People who like Family guy find pedophilia no less sick than you. You're making it seem like we're watching a child get raped and laughing in his face.
First of all, remember that you don't know me at all, meaning, watch the way you adress to me, the terms "ridiculous" and "f__ng moral high horse" are certainly not welcome. As for Hitler jokes, find a joke about jewish people being murdered, and you'll be in front of a tasteless joke. That's for moral. As for jokes as such, Family guy is beyond boring. As for pedophilia, comedy is not the context to discuss it. Read a little about "speech analysis" (I'm not sure if it is the right translation, you know how it is when one has to deal with a high horse). Anyway, if you enjoy crap, hey, don't worry about me!. it's your money and your TV.
Again, why do you keep comming to this poll if you hate the programme so much? If what you look is to make us change our mind about the show, I have news for you, I doubt you will succed. Of course this will be awnsered, which will only make my point more evident... and if not, well, I guess then you will have proven myself wrong.Wink

The reply posted above to Kid-A answers your questions, I think. I'm not trying to succed at anything, mind you. Just spreading a point of view. Who knows, it might be useful. If not to you, perhaps to someone else. This is all about repect. For example, people her have "Argentinian jokes". I don't know a single one, and I certainly hate the idea. Those jokes serve as a tool to spread hate to inmigrants. Same thing with Peruvian people who lives here. I hope this helps.

There's nothing like a good argentinian joke...Wink.....

Laugh at yourselves first, don't be so serious about yourself, then you can laugh at the rest, and we'll get along!

Indeed theres nothing like a good argentinian joke, I just wanted to know what that has to do with anything...
I can laugh at myself... in fact I can laugh at anything really, and if its a bit cruel, then better LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 22:40

There's nothing like a good argentinian joke...Wink.....

Laugh at yourselves first, don't be so serious about yourself, then you can laugh at the rest, and we'll get along!
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 17:06
Ok, so i just watched "The Aristocrats". Talk about offensive comedy! : ) Very interested to hear what y'all think of that one, you who have seen it.

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2007 at 18:00

Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2007 at 11:24
A swedish comedian once made a tv-show where he wanted to try just how far you could go, how tasteless a joke could be and still have people laugh at it, so he went to a naughty jokes reading and told his joke. The punchline had to be censored even in swedish television, not because of dirty words, but because of the content. Nobodyin the audience  laughed, and many people called him "b*****d" and such names, after and hour of listening to and laughing at some of the most sexist, tasteless and (in my opinion) humourless jokes that you can think of. The joke in itself was indeed terrible, but not really any worse than any else, it was only because it was so blatanyly offensive that the atmosphere in the room totally died.

Child molestation is a very taboo subject, but does that mean that you shouldn't be allowed to make jokes about it at all?

I'm not very fond of the old man in Family Guy, but i truly believe that you have to be able to laugh at even such a thing as child molestation. Not that it is funny in any way, and it must never be the intention to hurt someone by it, but to ignore it or treat it as something we can never make jokes about, i just don't think that is a solution at all.
It's very human to joke about thing we are afraid of, it is a need we have, to make the situation manageable.

So as a means of dealing with the situation, i don't disapprove, but taking advantage of those who may have been hurt just to get laughs, that i do not agree with.

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
tardis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2007 at 10:43
I agree with Cuncuna. I find the series tasteless.
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2007 at 08:32

Edited by cuncuna - October 20 2007 at 08:34
¡Beware of the Bee!

cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2007 at 08:24

First off. I said you were being rediculous, referring to what you said within this thread. Not you are rediculous.

And you've shown me in this thread you are on a moral high horse. You called people who like Family guy inhumane. That sounds pretty much like a moral high horse. I am not saying you are like this in real life and in character. I am just saying what I think you are being in this thread.

Why is comedy not a legitimate context to discuss problems? Especially satirical comedy is a perfectly good context to discuss it. If you think comedy shows such as the Simpsons and Family Guy are just about laughs, you view them very shallowly indeed (although admittedly not so much Family Guy). Comedians have just as much right to express their views on the world in the art as any other artists. Would you have a problem with a musical artist singing about the wrongness of pedophilia? I'm not saying comedy should be the only context of discussion for it, but there is nothing wrong with it.

I didn't say making jokes about millions of Jews being murdered. I said jokes about Hitler, which by the way even John Cleese from Monty Python has made. There is nothing wrong with that.

I am not sure what you mean about speech analysis please explain?

Hey I'll enjoy 'crap' if I want. I bet I would call a lot of what you like 'crap' as well. Just because you doesn't like it doesn't mean it's crap.

And if you find it so boring why post so much on a thread about Family Guy berating people who do like it? The post is called 'When was Family Guy at its best?'. That implies the people this thread is for what is for would like Family Guy at some point. Why come here and call people inhumane for liking the programme?

First of all, thanks for clearing the "impasse". In this language, I sometimes can't recognize the mood of some sentences.

As for posting here, "the horse forces me". Being this, for good or for bad, a going on debate, to not explain my point of view to people that asks my reasons to say something would be disrespectful; plus, I really think that the point of plain sick jokes must be explained; maybe it'll lick in the future. Who knows. If I were near to a situation in wich a close child were somehow molested, I would certainly not appreciate a show with jokes about the subject. That's tasteless if you ask me. I'm not a moral standard or some sort of human conduct ISO norm. Anyways, the jokes are just... I don't know how to tell you this, it's just that same feeling in music when one thinks "wow!, I could never think of something like that". The joke's lack of that element of extreme cleverness (I don't know if this is a word) is what I call bad. I yawn instead of laughing.

Edit: to be more concise, I won't accept a joke as such if it can hurt someone. If I ever do this myself, I would humbly apologize from my very heart. Jokes are like sports, where a fault is a fault and lack of honour is a very ugly thing to witness.

Edited by cuncuna - October 20 2007 at 08:29
¡Beware of the Bee!

Kid-A View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2007 at 15:33

First off. I said you were being rediculous, referring to what you said within this thread. Not you are rediculous.
   And you've shown me in this thread you are on a moral high horse. You called people who like Family guy inhumane. That sounds pretty much like a moral high horse. I am not saying you are like this in real life and in character. I am just saying what I think you are being in this thread.
   Why is comedy not a legitimate context to discuss problems? Especially satirical comedy is a perfectly good context to discuss it. If you think comedy shows such as the Simpsons and Family Guy are just about laughs, you view them very shallowly indeed (although admittedly not so much Family Guy). Comedians have just as much right to express their views on the world in the art as any other artists. Would you have a problem with a musical artist singing about the wrongness of pedophilia? I'm not saying comedy should be the only context of discussion for it, but there is nothing wrong with it.
   I didn't say making jokes about millions of Jews being murdered. I said jokes about Hitler, which by the way even John Cleese from Monty Python has made. There is nothing wrong with that.
   I am not sure what you mean about speech analysis please explain?
   Hey I'll enjoy 'crap' if I want. I bet I would call a lot of what you like 'crap' as well. Just because you doesn't like it doesn't mean it's crap.

And if you find it so boring why post so much on a thread about Family Guy berating people who do like it? The post is called 'When was Family Guy at its best?'. That implies the people this thread is for what is for would like Family Guy at some point. Why come here and call people inhumane for liking the programme?

Edited by Kid-A - October 19 2007 at 15:41
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2007 at 14:02

cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2007 at 08:50
Originally posted by Dalezilla Dalezilla wrote:

Plagiarisimo Wink

That's the worst part.
¡Beware of the Bee!

Dalezilla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2007 at 08:43
Plagiarisimo Wink
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2007 at 08:35
I don't like Family Guy. It's just too gratuitously crude for my tastes, and none of the characters seem to have any morally-redeeming qualities. It seems to shock just for the sake of it.Thumbs%20Down

I much prefer the Simpsons, and Futurama, and Sponge Bob, and Dexter's Lab, and Johnny Bravo, abd Ren and Stimpy, and South Park, and Duck Man, and Bugs Bunny, and Daffy Duck, and Donald Duck, and Goofy, and Yogi Bear, and Huckleberry Hound, and....Thumbs%20Up

Edited by Peter - October 19 2007 at 08:36
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2007 at 23:20

¡Beware of the Bee!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>