Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen was Family Guy at its best?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: What's the best period of Family Guy?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [46.15%]
1 [3.85%]
13 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: When was Family Guy at its best?
    Posted: September 30 2007 at 08:40
Watching Season 1-3 episodes on tv, I realized that what I considered a pretty lazy show aimed to see how far they can get away with not being censored, was a very funny show.

On the flashbacks: Seasons 1-3 makes few, short, and funny (even hilarious) ones. Recently though, they tend to use them as filler and are too based on pop culture references that even If I get them, aren't really funny.

Peter used to be just a dumb guy, but now he's completely retarded and childish to a way that isn't as funny. Stewie used to be the "Pinky and the Brain" influenced evil baby wanting to defeat the "tyranny" of the mother. Now he's gay? Meg used to be the outcast wanting to get attention and had some respect from the family. Now the family frickin abuses her and Peter could even punch her! It's just not funny man.Dead

What happened to family guy? It used to be a pretty funny, satirical, and witty show but now the writing is completely dumb, cliched, lazy, and offensive.

And don't get me started on the pedophile old man. It's extremely offensive and he's completely overused. You know what the joke would be like so it's predictable and unfunny.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 08:51
I don't know but what's with that guy who looks like he has his testicles on his chin?LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 08:59
ooooo hard question.When it first came out it was amazing and they got better  then when i went back to the first season and it felt dated.Then i relise every joke was the same and i began to predict the unpredictabilty of it.Basicaly i think its great in small doses.

Anyone seen South Park's Cartoon wars?South Park actually owned Family guy lol
Kaizer_O View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 09:04
Family Guy got better with each season, imo. The jokes are much more clever nowadays and The-Evil-Genius-Baby-gimmick got old pretty fast.
Bastille Dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 12:23
Originally posted by Zitro Zitro wrote:

And don't get me started on the pedophile old man. It's extremely offensive and he's completely overused. You know what the joke would be like so it's predictable and unfunny.

Totally agree with you there man, I hate that character and it ruins the show for me. Other than the creepy old guy as Obi Wan, The Star Wars episode was pretty gosh darn funny.
DEATH TO FALSE PROG!
Mikerinos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 12:28
I don't find it funny anymore, I did 4-5 years ago though.  It seems recycled, predictable, and just not my type of humor.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 12:29
Seasons 1-3 BY FAR.  The first three seasons were genius.  I don't watch the new episodes anymore, I hate what they've done with some of the characters and many episodes have too many flashbacks ("Remember that time I...?" "And that time when...?").  And they kill some of the old jokes from the first three seasons. 

Actually Zitro's original post more or less sums up what I think.

Edited by darkmatter - September 30 2007 at 12:30
fungusucantkill View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 12:30

I think their best time on air was on South Park.

mrcozdude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2007 at 14:40
Originally posted by fungusucantkill fungusucantkill wrote:

I think their best time on air was on South Park.

yeah lol i love that episode
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 00:05
The third season was the best, but the first two for me where the worst (still pretty good) and I really like the new stuff... so I voted for both
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 00:09
Yeah I used to really like it. Now, it's just ok. But the old ones are better than the new ones.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2007 at 00:21

Watching Season 1-3 episodes on tv, I realized that what I considered a pretty lazy show aimed to see how far they can get away with not being censored, was a very funny show.

On the flashbacks: Seasons 1-3 makes few, short, and funny (even hilarious) ones. Recently though, they tend to use them as filler and are too based on pop culture references that even If I get them, aren't really funny.

Peter used to be just a dumb guy, but now he's completely retarded and childish to a way that isn't as funny. Stewie used to be the "Pinky and the Brain" influenced evil baby wanting to defeat the "tyranny" of the mother. Now he's gay? Meg used to be the outcast wanting to get attention and had some respect from the family. Now the family frickin abuses her and Peter could even punch her! It's just not funny man.Dead

What happened to family guy? It used to be a pretty funny, satirical, and witty show but now the writing is completely dumb, cliched, lazy, and offensive.

actually all what you say I find it to be great... I think I should have voted for the 4 season choice jajajaj
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2007 at 10:16
Originally posted by Bastille Dude Bastille Dude wrote:

Totally agree with you there man, I hate that character and it ruins the show for me. Other than the creepy old guy as Obi Wan, The Star Wars episode was pretty gosh darn funny.

I HATE that character,and think he's extremely offensive.The new season opener,the Star Wars parody,was very good,but his presence in it sort of ruined it for me.

I happen to like the entire run of Family Guy so far.I don't mind the newer shows at all,maybe because I have seen the first three seasons so many times that some new shows were a welcome change of pace.

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 16:41
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

I HATE that character,and think he's extremely offensive.The new season opener,the Star Wars parody,was very good,but his presence in it sort of ruined it for me.

I happen to like the entire run of Family Guy so far.I don't mind the newer shows at all,maybe because I have seen the first three seasons so many times that some new shows were a welcome change of pace.

Whats so offensive about him? Personally I think its incredibly funny and only a show like that or South Park can get away with it
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2007 at 18:03
I think probably it has something to do with the delivery. If South Park were to do something with a dirty old man pedophile, As tasteless as that is, it would have been done in a somewhat "clever" and funny way. When Family Guy does it, It's just tasteless, unfunny, annoying and gross beyond being funny. I don't even know what the character's name is, But it's the same old disturbing and unfunny joke every episode.
Where South Park is consistently clever, Family Guy falls flat with "I can be more gross and tasteless than you" humor, And this is coming from someone who watches and enjoys Family Guy, albeit cautiously.
DEATH TO FALSE PROG!
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2007 at 14:51

I think probably it has something to do with the delivery. If South Park were to do something with a dirty old man pedophile, As tasteless as that is, it would have been done in a somewhat "clever" and funny way. When Family Guy does it, It's just tasteless, unfunny, annoying and gross beyond being funny. I don't even know what the character's name is, But it's the same old disturbing and unfunny joke every episode.
Where South Park is consistently clever, Family Guy falls flat with "I can be more gross and tasteless than you" humor, And this is coming from someone who watches and enjoys Family Guy, albeit cautiously.

The characters name is Herbert. And there was a pedophile character, in fact a whole association in a South park episodeLOL
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 11:15
Originally posted by mrcozdude mrcozdude wrote:

ooooo hard question.When it first came out it was amazing and they got better  then when i went back to the first season and it felt dated.Then i relise every joke was the same and i began to predict the unpredictabilty of it.Basicaly i think its great in small doses.

Anyone seen South Park's Cartoon wars?South Park actually owned Family guy lol

OK, first I like Family Guy just as much now as before...no difference.
As for cartoon wars  I found it REALLY stupid. I like South Park   but lets face it, Family Guy is more popular  and that;s why they hate it. They just kept harping on "Oh, it's jokes are meaningless and random and do nothing to further the plot line" BS   and I REALLY didn't get it. They bash Family Guy to no end  but I remember one guy in that episode saying something like "I dont really love family guy...but at least it keeps the show fresh and dosnt get all preachy and up its ass with messages"      refering to their own show of South Park.  So....what the f*ck South Park   that made no sense to me
cynthiasmallet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 11:32
I love them all, the darkness of Family Guy is unequalled by any other comedy. The episode where Peter has a prostate examination has to be the best
Would you like to watch TV, or get between the sheets, or contemplate the silent freeway, would you like something to eat?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 14:21
Actually, season 0, BEOFRE they started airing the program... it rivals season 9, never produced, so no damage ever done...Tongue

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 16:28
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

The characters name is Herbert. And there was a pedophile character, in fact a whole association in a South park episodeLOL

I Remember the whole nambla South Park episode, That was pretty damn funny. I heard somewhere that Seth McFarlen was going to be killing off a character in FG, God I hope it's Herbert or whatever his name is.
DEATH TO FALSE PROG!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>