Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen was Family Guy at its best?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: What's the best period of Family Guy?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [46.15%]
1 [3.85%]
13 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 16:33
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Originally posted by Bastille Dude Bastille Dude wrote:

Originally posted by Zitro Zitro wrote:

And don't get me started on the pedophile old man. It's extremely offensive and he's completely overused. You know what the joke would be like so it's predictable and unfunny.

Totally agree with you there man, I hate that character and it ruins the show for me. Other than the creepy old guy as Obi Wan, The Star Wars episode was pretty gosh darn funny.

I HATE that character,and think he's extremely offensive.The new season opener,the Star Wars parody,was very good,but his presence in it sort of ruined it for me.

I happen to like the entire run of Family Guy so far.I don't mind the newer shows at all,maybe because I have seen the first three seasons so many times that some new shows were a welcome change of pace.

Whats so offensive about him? Personally I think its incredibly funny and only a show like that or South Park can get away with it

I really can't believe you asked that....

I have children,one of them a 10 year old boy,and I don't care what context it is presented in,I don't find ANYTHING funny about pedophilia.If a man acted like that to my boy he would lose his breathing privileges.

sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 17:55
i agree with everyone saying seasons 1-3. i think it was still funny afterwards although it got progressively less funny as time went on and nowadays i don't find it that amusing. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2007 at 19:31

And don't get me started on the pedophile old man. It's extremely offensive and he's completely overused. You know what the joke would be like so it's predictable and unfunny.

Totally agree with you there man, I hate that character and it ruins the show for me. Other than the creepy old guy as Obi Wan, The Star Wars episode was pretty gosh darn funny.

I HATE that character,and think he's extremely offensive.The new season opener,the Star Wars parody,was very good,but his presence in it sort of ruined it for me.

I happen to like the entire run of Family Guy so far.I don't mind the newer shows at all,maybe because I have seen the first three seasons so many times that some new shows were a welcome change of pace.

Whats so offensive about him? Personally I think its incredibly funny and only a show like that or South Park can get away with it

I have children,one of them a 10 year old boy,and I don't care what context it is presented in,I don't find ANYTHING funny about pedophilia.If a man acted like that to my boy he would lose his breathing privileges.

That's totally understandable...are you a fan of Quagmire? While they may be 2 pretty different characters, Mr. Quagmire is not exactly a...morally upstanding character.
I'm sorry its just a personal thing with me, because I would get ripped to shreds alot about my sense of humor...while the people who do it love shows like Family Guy that are way more f*cked up.

But I digress, Family Guy rules!

Edited by JJLehto - October 11 2007 at 19:31
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 00:38
The first 3 seasons were great, but are so over played now that its hard to enjoy them the same as I used to.  The newer seasons started off a bit rough and they were trying to be overly-crude to make up for lost time I guess, but they've gotten back into the groove of great episodes (although the star wars episode was mostly lame). So both have good and bad moments.
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 00:48
I think it's a rather lame show. The only good thing about it is that it sucks so much, that lonely people can feel it... 
¡Beware of the Bee!

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 00:10

well if anything really happend like in Family Guy I think I would be pretty mad too, but its a comedy, its a place where you can take the bad things of life and give them a twist and have fun about them... or is it that Im really not getting something? Cause it seems you all hate that character and I just cant get whats aoffensive about it... or why you Jody dont get my not getting it... wow, I do speak some goooood english!
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2007 at 01:49

well if anything really happend like in Family Guy I think I would be pretty mad too, but its a comedy, its a place where you can take the bad things of life and give them a twist and have fun about them... or is it that Im really not getting something? Cause it seems you all hate that character and I just cant get whats aoffensive about it... or why you Jody dont get my not getting it... wow, I do speak some goooood english!

First of all, the show is not funny at all.  Those jokes are terrible, at best. That said, not only to writte bad jokes, but to use disgusting motifs on them is something very untasteful and low. If Monty Python can make a 5 minutes skecth using nothing but a phrases about a dead parrot  and built a good laugh around it, then there's no excuse: those family guy's writters are just deplorable and boring. On the other hand, Wallace and Gromit's "The wrong trousers" movie... that's funny and clean, jokes are based on nothing more than the good spirit of a good joke, and it is fun for everyone. Paedophilia is a concept that must be eliminated from every possible scenario, and it is certainly something that will never be funny. Now, show some humanity and get it.
¡Beware of the Bee!

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2007 at 15:02
Originally posted by cuncuna cuncuna wrote:

First of all, the show is not funny at all.  Those jokes are terrible, at best. That said, not only to writte bad jokes, but to use disgusting motifs on them is something very untasteful and low. If Monty Python can make a 5 minutes skecth using nothing but a phrases about a dead parrot  and built a good laugh around it, then there's no excuse: those family guy's writters are just deplorable and boring. On the other hand, Wallace and Gromit's "The wrong trousers" movie... that's funny and clean, jokes are based on nothing more than the good spirit of a good joke, and it is fun for everyone. Paedophilia is a concept that must be eliminated from every possible scenario, and it is certainly something that will never be funny. Now, show some humanity and get it.

show some humanity?.. Confused...

ok, first of all, if you hate the show so much, why is it that you continue to post in this thread? Second... I guess we all have different humor, so let me laught with my type, I will let you laught with yours. And that "If x then y" ... c´mon, you know you cant take that as a valid point, not everyone thinks like you, why if Monty Python does certain humor cant there be another type? Just cause they get away with it, doesnt mean that others cant enjoy something else! ... I dont know, that sounds kind of facist to me...Confused
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2007 at 19:18
I'm with Cuncuna on this one.... I don't see how can anybody laugh with Family Guy.... it's so humourless....

Anyway, I've always been more oriented towards human-comedy.... not even the Simpsons (which are TRULY good) conquered me.....
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2007 at 19:46

show some humanity?.. Confused... ok, first of all, if you hate the show so much, why is it that you continue to post in this thread? Second... I guess we all have different humor, so let me laught with my type, I will let you laught with yours. And that "If x then y" ... c´mon, you know you cant take that as a valid point, not everyone thinks like you, why if Monty Python does certain humor cant there be another type? Just cause they get away with it, doesnt mean that others cant enjoy something else! ... I dont know, that sounds kind of facist to me...Confused

Yes, humanity. Paedophilia is something that must be eliminated from our day to day, not to say, from funny references. First, just imagine being the father of an abused child and end up finding out that certain people thinks it is a funny thing to use in jokes. Second, the jokes are bad. The lack of imagination is beyond reality, and the A, B C examples are meant to be parameters. A real joke is a clever, respectful one. A dirty joke just reveals ugly things about those who laugh at them. Once again, humanity. Choosing uglyness is not a very good idea.
¡Beware of the Bee!

Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 18:03
Cuncuna, I can enjoy dark/black humor. Stuff that we shouldn't laugh at but we still may do so. However, I really do agree with you that pedophilia is pushing things too far. In one situation, Family Guy also made a graphic joke of domestic violence and it was completely tasteless

cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 20:58

Cuncuna, I can enjoy dark/black humor. Stuff that we shouldn't laugh at but we still may do so. However, I really do agree with you that pedophilia is pushing things too far. In one situation, Family Guy also made a graphic joke of domestic violence and it was completely tasteless

Tasteless being the main issue, humor being the secondary one. You see, I can enjoy a well thought joke. Everything else seems unappealing. Invader Zim has the best dark jokes you can imagine, with all that doom and jokes on the whole human race. But I dare you to find one single tastless joke on that series. Or an obvious one. We like prog rock, don't we?... well, how about prog jokes as well. Easy is too easy...
¡Beware of the Bee!

tardis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 23:21
Both periods have been equally bad. Ermm
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2007 at 23:24
I fall in with the crowd that prefers the pre-cancellation Family Guy. I guess I'm emotionally dead, cause I find nothing offensive about that show. The old pedophile makes me laugh, at least he did before they ran that right into the ground. I loved the fourth season (the first after they came back), but after that it devolved into self-parody, which isn't good cause it's already a take on The Simpsons.
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 00:09
Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

I fall in with the crowd that prefers the pre-cancellation Family Guy. I guess I'm emotionally dead, cause I find nothing offensive about that show. The old pedophile makes me laugh, at least he did before they ran that right into the ground. I loved the fourth season (the first after they came back), but after that it devolved into self-parody, which isn't good cause it's already a take on The Simpsons.

1.- You were a child once.
2.- There are children in the world right now.

Edited by cuncuna - October 17 2007 at 00:10
¡Beware of the Bee!

The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 00:14

Shocked  There are???

I love every episode I've seen of Family Guy, which is probably somewhere around 10.  But I haven't seen the pedophile episodes, so I'm not sure what that's all about.  On the other hand, there's all kinds of bad Censored in the world, and if we can't make fun of it, all we can do is take it out behind the shed and put a bullet in the back of its pathetic head. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 00:21
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Shocked  There are???

I love every episode I've seen of Family Guy, which is probably somewhere around 10.  But I haven't seen the pedophile episodes, so I'm not sure what that's all about.  On the other hand, there's all kinds of bad Censored in the world, and if we can't make fun of it, all we can do is take it out behind the shed and put a bullet in the back of its pathetic head. 

Ok, so I won't get the oscar this year... anyway, I'm just trying to say that certain things are not to make fun of. To create any kind of asociation between a really bad thing and having fun can result into validation of unwanted conducts. Plus, there are people who suffers for real because of this. So, just a little heart, please?...
¡Beware of the Bee!

el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2007 at 18:55

Shocked  There are???

Ok, so I won't get the oscar this year... anyway, I'm just trying to say that certain things are not to make fun of. To create any kind of asociation between a really bad thing and having fun can result into validation of unwanted conducts. Plus, there are people who suffers for real because of this. So, just a little heart, please?...

No
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2007 at 11:03
@ Cuncuna

Which isn't to imply that I consider el bothy and other fans of new(er) Family Guy tasteless morons, or anything - it's simply that Cuncuna's heart is in the righter place than theirs and mine, IMO.

Edited by Visitor13 - October 18 2007 at 11:12
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2007 at 15:02

1.- You were a child once.2.- There are children in the world right now.

Shocked  There are???

No

Ok then; so you choose to laugh at jokes about sexual child abuse / molestation. Good luck with that.
¡Beware of the Bee!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>