0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bondage Fruit
    Posted: October 08 2007 at 19:28
experimental, avant-rock/zeuhl Japanese Bondage Fruit are not a band much discussed but they did release several very good albums.

Here's some info about them:

Taken from Ground & Sky:

Guitarist Kido Natsuki, violinist Katsui Yuji, and bassist Hirohiko Otsubo formed Bondage Fruit in 1990. Over the next few years, the personnel of Bondage Fruit changed frequently. However, in 1993, they added additional musicians: Takara Kumiko (Vibraphone), Yoichi Okabe (Percussion), Aki Kubota (vocalist, later of Koenjihyakkei) and Saga Yuki (jazz vocalist). Finally, the band's line-up was settled as a seven-piece band.

The band's sound retained the adventurous flavor of Kohntarkosz-era zeuhl, while adding elements of alternative rock, RIO, and even South American music. Although led by guitarist Natsuki, perhaps the primary feature of their early sound was that of the female vocals. Often, the "lyrics" consisted of no actual words, but percussive syllables doubled on marimba or guitar. Aki's operatic style is of note on the first album, and Yuki's more experimental style on the second (Aki had left by that point).

When Yuki left after the second album, the band was left without a vocalist. Without missing a stride, they released Bondage Fruit III: Recit, showing more of their improvisational and avant-fusion sides. The band have often been lumped in with other acts like Happy Family and Ruins, but ultimately, Bondage Fruit may be simultaneously more accessible and yet more willing to embrace various music styles than either. Their latest record features an even greater synthesis of influences than before, ranging from Afro-Cuban music to techno!"

From Record Heaven:

Bondage Fruit – a heavy rocking experimental zeuhl band, who have been described as a cross between Happy Family and Kenso. Their albums include ‘Bondage Fruit’ [Maboroshi No Sekai, 1995], ‘II’ [Maboroshi No Sekai, 1996], which is sometimes said to be their best album, ‘Récit’ [Maboroshi No Sekai, 1997], a live album, ‘IV’ [Maboroshi No Sekai, 1999], and ‘Skin’ [Maboroshi No Sekai, 2002], which is reputedly the most experimental, and is all-instrumental.

Your opinion, impressions, thoughts, likes and dislikes?

fungusucantkill View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 19:42
I never knew this band existed till you pointed them out. Thank you. I dig the whole Japanese/ Avant/ rio genre. its one that ive "semi" explored. Definetly a band id like to get more into. I hear Happy family in their sound along with a bit of Ruins sound. Great band
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 19:59
Assaf, with these polls you are reminding me how criminally I have over looked particular bands. I have Bondage Fruit IV, but I'm not too sure if I have listened to it more than once. Plus bits and pieces from around the place. From a very shady memory it was quite guitar orientated, hence I can understand the Happy Family and Ruins comparisons.

Any preferences on your behalf?
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 20:02
Of the ones I have (2, 5, 6 and I'll be receiving 1 and 3 soon), I really liked 5 and 6 which were great experimental sound journeys, which in the right mindset are simply great soundtracks to my mind/thougths.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 20:07
I can answer this poll in a few weeks Avestin. I've only heard the first two and i'm working my way through the rest as you know.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 20:10
Originally posted by sinkadotentree sinkadotentree wrote:

I can answer this poll in a few weeks Avestin. I've only heard the first two and i'm working my way through the rest as you know.

Hi !

Read you review of the first, great as usual, I see you really like it, that's great.
I am also filling in gaps with them, and so far no disappointments.

Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 21:17
Among II, Recit and Skin (the only ones I have), Recit is my favourite. Having said this, Skin bears an admirable twist toward a deeper experimentation with languid ambiences, as if inserting some post-rock moods in order to enrich the inner tension of Zheul/RIo in a different manner.

Kind regards.
MusicForSpeedin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 21:34

Last christmas I wanted something by them but never got it. Cry

Amazing band that I wish I listened to more of.
Chris H View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 21:35
Hmmm...I only have III, where should I go next?
Beauty will save the world.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2007 at 23:12
Love BF, got to see them live, outrageous musicians. Had a hard time choosing between 2 and 4.  Finally went with 4 as they had a lot more contrast to their sound and explored a wider array of influences. I love them all though.  Also love Natsuki's other stuff like Korekyojin.      

Review by Tapfret (Ian)
Posted 3:55:17 AM EST, 10/8/2007

5%20stars One of the finest talents in the ever expanding Japanese progressive scene is guitarist Kido Natsuki. Best known for his work with Bondage Fruit, he has developed numerous projects of varying styles. Korekyojin is a power trio that can best be described as an instrumental technical progressive garage band. This band is frantic and raw with rock and roll virtuosity.

Natsuki has written great music with BF, but has subdued his guitaring 'wild beast' at times for the sake of composition (not a bad thing). Korekyojin is a different story. Being a classic Guit/Bass/Drum trio allows him to bring forth his monstrous guitar abilities. Yet Tatsuya and Mitsuru's Drum and Bass abilities are far from overshadowed. Influences from a wide array of rock players can be heard, but the easiest influences to hear are Yes in the instrumentation (sans the metaphysics) and King Crimson in the writing (sans the long-winded improvisations). The album mix is very untampered with, for lack of a better term. Compression, limiting and effects in mastering seem to be kept to a minimum to give the impression of the band being in the room with you.

The CD version reviewed also has a limitted edition mini-disc Yes medley included. Korekyojin plays a part from just about every Yes song written for full band between 1972 and 1977 in a 5:38 tribute. Has to be heard to be believed.

This album is very exciting and qualifies as a masterpiece. Fun stuff.

4.8 stars... rounded up.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 20:15
Originally posted by Zappa88 Zappa88 wrote:

Hmmm...I only have III, where should I go next?

I always like to go chronologically to hear how a band's sound progresses, but if you're aiming for the best (which is subjective anyway and hard one in this case, as there is variation) then I'd say either II or IV.

Drakk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 21:19
I've been trying to get ahold of these guys after I heard Koenjihyakkei and Happy Family.

Do they sound similar to Koen or Happy Family?
[QUOTE=darkshade] [QUOTE=Sckxyss]
I'm disappointed - neither of these players are avant-garde!

Al di Meola.

[/QUOTE]

haha i know. but the poll itself is avant-garde
[/QUOTE]
hasheten View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2008 at 21:54
id say similar to koenji but not nearly as schizophrenic or disjointed.  ive always found bondage fruit to be the best japanese zeuhl band by far bc of that.  bondage fruit II is the best though, even though as Tapfret (viva tapfret!! you rock man) mentioned, it's not as varied as IV, but i like the albums slow progression to the all out maddness of Terminal Man.
the new food bible for anarchist cookbooks (check me out on blogger)
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 04:52
I've only heard I and II, from which I slightly prefer I, but I won't vote. Their sound is kind of like a mild Koenjihyakkei, with some folk elements.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 17:54
The first one is clearly my favourite.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
 Post Reply Post Reply