Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Morningside

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Morningside
    Posted: October 09 2007 at 16:18
I downloaded it...it was free, why not? They have been popping up here and there on the archives. Is this album supposed to be really good?
Your thoughts?
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 16:59
It's a good post-metal album. Sadly I'm not as enthusiastic as some of the reviewers, but it's still a good album (I would probably give it a 3 or 3.5, not bad if you're already familiar with my reviews).

If you're a fan of bands like Agaloch, later Isis, later Neurosis, Callisto and all of those post-metal bands then you'll definitely enjoy The Morningside.

It's free so listen to it first and ask questions later. Wink

Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 20:02
I downloaded it for this reason, listened through it a couple of times so far. I have to agree with Ruben, it is a solid album, but I think people are doting upon it a little too much. It kept running through my mind.... I would have enjoyed this a lot more a couple of years back when I was listening to a heavy share of Katatonia (the first reference which came to mind) and Agalloch. I can still appricated an album like this, but I'm not likely to fall head over heels. 
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 20:07
I've only listened to it once, but I plan on giving it a more attentive listen soon, and maybe reviewing it in the future. 
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 21:42
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

It's a good post-metal album. Sadly I'm not as enthusiastic as some of the reviewers, but it's still a good album (I would probably give it a 3 or 3.5, not bad if you're already familiar with my reviews).If you're a fan of bands like Agaloch, later Isis, later Neurosis, Callisto and all of those post-metal bands then you'll definitely enjoy The Morningside.It's free so listen to it first and ask questions later. Wink

You listed some of my favorite bands....maybe this will turn out to be a beauty .
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 21:52
I totally love it but I'm a relative metal newbie, so maybe stuff like Morningside is old hat to PM veterans.  I got much emotion out of the guitar solos and just really fell for the 'mood' I guess.  For a debut I thought it kicked ass. 

chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 22:27
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I totally love it but I'm a relative metal newbie, so maybe stuff like Morningside is old hat to PM veterans.  I got much emotion out of the guitar solos and just really fell for the 'mood' I guess.  For a debut I thought it kicked ass. 

You Should try the other bands from the genre as well if you still haven't. Most of these bands have a strong Post-Rock influence that gives the band that emotional lift.

Here's a list of current Post-metal bands in Progarchives:

AGALLOCH
BARONESS (debatable)
BOSSK
CALLISTO
CULT OF LUNA
GIANT SQUID
GRAYCEON (debatable)
IREPRESS
ISIS
KONGH
LORUS
MINSK
MOUTH OF THE ARCHITECT
NEUROSIS
PAX CECILIA, THE (debatable)
PELICAN
ROSETTA
YEAR OF NO LIGHT

Keep in mind that not all bands sound the same and some of them have more of a Post-Rock influence than others. I think you should start with Mouth Of The Architect after listening to The Morningside. Callisto and Bossk also have strong Post-Rock influence in their sound as well as the latest Neurosis and Isis albums. You can work your way down after that.Smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 22:33
Thanks so much Ruben for the suggestions, that very kind.  I have some of those.  Agalloch I enjoyed very much.  Squid and Pax I'm luke warm on so far but I need to play them many more times.  I will check out Mouth. 
Approve

ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 00:31
I want to check those out too. Are you a sage chamberry?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 22:22
Interesting.  After listening to all of the samples from here and myspace sites, I found none that I liked as well as Morningside.  So many of these bands have the "wall of sludge" down fine, but what I liked about Morningside was that they put sludge in the background and have very very constant and meaningful lead guitar in the forefront.  It is really something special apparently.  I played the album again today and it slayed me again.  I suspect some of these bands think the sludge is the main ingredient but for me I need something interesting going on atop the sludge.  Morningside has dual leads that so perfectly harmonize and engage each other. 

What sounded most promising to me were, in no order, Irepress, Isis, and Pelican.  I'll probably try something from one of these bands. 

Thanks again for giving me the list to work from!Clap

Post Reply Post Reply