1 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ground Zero
    Posted: October 09 2007 at 22:26
I was hoping for some friendly discussion on one of the best groups to come out of the Japanese avant scene, or in my eyes one of the all time greats. Disbanding in 1999, 2007 sees the release of a new live album from 1992 on doubt music:

"This CD includes unissued live performances and studio recordings (12, 13) right after Otomo formed GROUND-ZERO. This happened before the release of their first album, called "Ground-Zero" (God Mountain). Their playing is in the rough and sound quality is not quite best, but this materials should be kept a record of their intence performances of earlier GROUND-ZERO for future ages. This is remembrance of fresh / poisonous earlier GROUND-ZERO after interval of 15 years."

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2668

Recommended albums:

Play Standards and Consume Red. For and amazing live version of Consume Red check out Last Concert.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 22:36
With Ground Zero, I am quite the novice having only heard Play Standards, but I do plan on filling the gaps with more albums of theirs. I'll go with Consume Red like you suggest.

What do you think of Null & Void?

Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 22:54
For some reason, Ground Zero really do seem to get over looked on prog sites, while gaining quite a large audiences in more abstract realms of music. But this doesn't mean they are unaccessible, far from it, I think it is because Otomo is so popular in other areas.

Null & Void also a very good album, I would rank it as one their best second tier albums. So somewhere between 3.5 - 4 stars. Its sounds is quite similar to Play Standards, some rank those two albums on level grounds, I think it all comes down to personally preferences. For me Play Standards is one of those special albums which keeps finds its way back in my player and still sounding fresh each time.

I still have not heard Conflagration, Consummation, the two versions of Revolutionary Pekinese Opera (which are supposed to be very good) and the new live album. So I have my own holes to fill in.

superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2007 at 23:25
i have Last Concert and Null & Void.  love em.....super heavy duty improv-noise-rock............but Last Concert is the ultra-mega killa!!!!!
honganji View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 13:25

I own all albums except Revolutionary ~ ver.1.28 and Live 1992 +.

My favorite album is Kakumeikyogeki (original). This album was released on only 1200 copies, so it was soon (within 1 year) sold out from the market. I hear ver.1.28 includes one more track from the original. But I see track titles are very different each other .... Embarrassed

Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 18:44

I only have Null & Void and Consume Red, both being brilliant albums (4.5/5 each) so it's a bit hard to decide between those two. I think I'll go with N&V for now.

I'll get more GZ albums soon!

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 18:49
Originally posted by honganji honganji wrote:

My favorite album is Kakumeikyogeki (original). This album was released on only 1200 copies, so it was soon (within 1 year) sold out from the market. I hear ver.1.28 includes one more track from the original. But I see track titles are very different each other .... Embarrassed

This explains quite a bit to me, I have been wondering why I was having such a hard time tracking down the original disc. But from your opinions looks like I will hunting around some more.

bj, try going with Play Standards next, I think this one will be right up your ally. Some very good sampling on that one.
 Post Reply Post Reply