Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTherion Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
6 [35.29%]
2 [11.76%]
3 [17.65%]
1 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [17.65%]
2 [11.76%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Therion Appreciation
    Posted: October 12 2007 at 12:00
I know they get a lot of stick in PA... ridiculed by many as cheesy, but I don't mind admitting, I have grown to love them to bits since seeing them in March 2006, on the last date of their incredible Lemuira/ Sirius B tour.  Their stage show is simply awesome.

So, I was just wondering whether there were any other Therion fans on the site, and which if any is your fave album since they evolved from Black metal.... I've gone for Sirius B, but it really is a close call between a couple of others.

Please Note: Therion detractors..... this thread is not for you!!
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 12:12
The only Therion album which I like is Gothic Kabbalah ... I guess I'm still a detractor on the band level, but that album is really nice!
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 12:25
I own only Deggial so I can't vote.  Not my fave band by any means but I really enjoy Deggial a lot.  Such a unique sound, crushing and beautiful at the same time.  The operatic element is very cool, especially if you can see their live DVD.  Therion should be heard at least once even by non-metal fans.  Thumbs%20Up

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 12:29
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I own only Deggial so I can't vote.  Not my fave band by any means but I really enjoy Deggial a lot.  Such a unique sound, crushing and beautiful at the same time.  The operatic element is very cool, especially if you can see their live DVD.  Therion should be heard at least once even by non-metal fans.  Thumbs%20Up

Thanks for your constructive comments.... if you don't mind my saying, Deggial, while great, is perhaps their most uneven effort of the albums listed.... please try Theli or Sirius B for a second oppinion.....Wink
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 12:31
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

The only Therion album which I like is Gothic Kabbalah ... I guess I'm still a detractor on the band level, but that album is really nice!

I know, Mike.... I realise they aren't your cup of tea, and I completely understand why many prog fans don't like them, but they do come in for a bit of a bashing... hence the thread...Wink

Edited by fandango - October 12 2007 at 12:31
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 12:32
Really?  Wow, interesting.  Please expand.  What makes the earlier and later work more appealing than Deggial?  

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 12:34
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I know, Mike.... I realise they aren't your cup of tea, and I completely understand why many prog fans don't like them, but they do come in for a bit of a bashing... hence the thread...Wink

This is interesting to me too.  Why don't many prog fans like them?  They are without question one of the most unique or "different" sounding metal bands. 

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 12:42
mmm. I've loved this Celtic Frosties inspired band since I saw them crammed on The Underworld stage back in 1998 supporting Anathema.

Favourite is either Vovin or Gothic Kabbalah, though Deggial gets a special mention for O Fortuna, but then Theli has To Mega Therion on it... Confused and then the Sirus B / Lemuria double-pack is a prized possesion ... Ermm no - Live in Midgård - that's my fave Approve... even if it does have a cover of an ABBA song on it.
What?
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 12:54
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Really?  Wow, interesting.  Please expand.  What makes the earlier and later work more appealing than Deggial?  

I think that with both Theli and Sirius B in particular, the tracks are individually strong, while the albums are coherent from start to finish, with stunning arrangements of both male and female vocals.... at their finest, they send shivers down my spine.....Embarrassed

the stage shows are superb displays with dancers, choirs and soprano around the band...as may be witnessed via the DVD 'Celebrators of the Becoming'....Clap
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 12:55
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

even if it does have a cover of an ABBA song on it.

LOL... I don't think they do too much Damage to 'Summer Night City' actually....Wink
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 12:57
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

even if it does have a cover of an ABBA song on it.

LOL... I don't think they do too much Damage to 'Summer Night City' actually....Wink
...I just wished they'd done 'Fernando' instead Embarrassed
What?
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 13:01
I just got Lemuria and Sirius B.  Bit disappointed because some of the reviews wrote of there being a lot of orchestra in these two but there really isn't.  Only listened twice so hard to say whether I like or not but don't see me getting any more of their stuff as of now. 
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 13:11
Bleh, I only have Sirius B...I can't vote.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 14:29
Where's Symphony/Ho Drakon Ho Megas? Shocked

I own the following Therion albums:

THELI StarStarStarStar1/2 A brilliant album with just a couple weak songs... Structures are rather common and the songwriting is simple but the choirs and the orchestration and some really heavy, dark riffs make for a great album

DEGGIAL StarStarStarStarStar My favorite Therion album, disagree completely with Fandango. It has a balance of fast songs and slow, dark, obcure ones. "Enter Vril-Ya" it's one of the most devil-sounding songs ever, it makes me se The Dark, Desolate One at times...Evil%20SmileTongue...The title track full of melody... Great album... Please avoid the bonus track you'll find in some editions, an awful version of Karl Orff's already-whored-out masterpiece, "Fortuna Imperatirx Mundi" from Carmina Burana.

SIRIUS B StarStarStar A mediocre effort saved with some good songs. They forgot the magic of their dark riffs and songs and turned pure-metal. The choirs are less an integral part of the song and more decoration.

LEMURIA StarStarStar The same as SIRIUS, mediocre and a dissapointment. It feels like power metal +choirs and orchestra but MINUS the good choruses and melodies

GOTHIC KABBALAH StarStarStarStar A great comeback by Therion, which now sounds like a darker, more metal version of Ayreon at times. (minus the space sounds). I'd given this album 5 stars were it not for the second disc which is average at best. The first one is flawless, containing probably Therion's most "commercial" tune ever, the title-track. Fantastic. A retrun to form after the bore-fest of the double album.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 14:58
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Where's Symphony/Ho Drakon Ho Megas? Shocked

I admitted at the outset that I was omitting their early, Black Metal albums...Embarrassed

DEGGIAL StarStarStarStarStar My favorite Therion album, disagree completely with Fandango.

You are perfectly entitled to disagree completely with me... that's fine!!  Usually, my fave albums tend to be the ones with the lowest PA rating... but in this case....

Deggial: 3.85 (15 ratings)     

SIRIUS B StarStarStar A mediocre effort saved with some good songs. 

Sirius B: 4.51 (24 ratings) 

I guess I'm with the majority in this instance...Wink

Edited by fandango - October 12 2007 at 14:59
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 17:23
The combination of Sirius B and Lemuria
Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 01:14
My favorite is Theli, closely followed by Deggial. Both are very good IMO. Theli has a lot of very strong tracks: Preludium, To Mega Therion (ofcourse, the best!), Cults of the Shadow, Nightside of Eden, ...some more..., Siren of the Woods (beautiful!!) and Grand Finale. A great album IMO. Deggial has a lot of good tracks, with one exceptional: Via Nocturna. Other albums of Therion I rate somewhat less, but eg. Lemuria is not bad.
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)
Walker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 01:45

I have them all and Theli wins this one for me...... nothing else like it in their discography. Beautiful music indeed, but .. umm... different! LOL

Politician View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 12:15
A toss-up between "Theli" and "Vovin" for me: both remarkable albums (in fact, two of my three favourite albums of the 1990s) and both miles ahead of anything else in their discography. "Theli" is more startling and original, but "Vovin" is more consistent, so it probably has the edge for me.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 14:51
I will go with Theli
their first great effort, including more symphonic elements, creating a new atmosphere at that time
all the others up to Sirus B/Lemuria were very good, but the latter one seems to lack 'progression' Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>