Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Time of Orchids - Namesake Caution (2007)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime of Orchids - Namesake Caution (2007)

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message
mecca View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: July 22 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 213
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time of Orchids - Namesake Caution (2007)
    Posted: October 13 2007 at 01:34
This is a huge recommendation.  Has anyone else listened to the album yet?  I wasn't much a fan of Sarcasm While, far too w**ky for my tastes, songs never really went anywhere, but this album is something entirely new.  Something I really haven't ever heard before, I don't think.  If I set it in a genre, I'd call it Rock In Opposition pop, and that's exactly what it is, think of Kayo Dot, then mix that with Beach Boys.  You'll get jarring dissonance and beautiful consonance (at the same time Shocked), heavy and soft instrumentation (at the same time Shocked) and huge contrasts in between.  I reviewed the album a couple minutes ago, this is possibly my favorite album of 2007.
 
 
Listen to the top 2 songs, from the new album.
Back to Top
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: September 18 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 12620
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 09:28
I am slowly getting to know it more and more but even at first listen I realized how I like it and it's getting better with each listen.
I mentioned it in the RIO Drop In Centre thread and gave my quick synopsis of it.
 
I hope my wife and I get to see them next month in NYC at The Stone
 
 
Back to Top
mecca View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: July 22 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 213
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 18:13
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

I am slowly getting to know it more and more but even at first listen I realized how I like it and it's getting better with each listen.
I mentioned it in the RIO Drop In Centre thread and gave my quick synopsis of it.
 
I hope my wife and I get to see them next month in NYC at The Stone
 
 
Holy sh*t, I hope you do to!  avestin, you listen to a lot of great music, in case you didn't know.  Tongue
 
And yeah, even though I liked this album at first listen, it continues to grow on me.  I think what's so spectacular about the album is that it's just really hard to understand.  I'll try to find your post by the way, I'm interested in what you thought of it.
Back to Top
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: September 18 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 12620
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 18:20
Originally posted by mecca mecca wrote:

Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

I am slowly getting to know it more and more but even at first listen I realized how I like it and it's getting better with each listen.
I mentioned it in the RIO Drop In Centre thread and gave my quick synopsis of it.
 
I hope my wife and I get to see them next month in NYC at The Stone
 
 
Holy sh*t, I hope you do to!  avestin, you listen to a lot of great music, in case you didn't know.  Tongue
 
And yeah, even though I liked this album at first listen, it continues to grow on me.  I think what's so spectacular about the album is that it's just really hard to understand.  I'll try to find your post by the way, I'm interested in what you thought of it.
 
 
Sorry, I should have looked for it myself.
 
Here's what I initially posted in the RIO thread:
 
Originally posted by avestin

TIME OF ORCHIDS - Namesake Caution
 
Mostly clear vocals (even harmonies), heavy, mostly slow pace, and yet somehow also delicate... reminds me of Kayo Dot's approach and sound at times... they have this abstract quality to their music and yet there is always a sense of direction to it, never veering to unclear waters. Occasionally there's a play of guitars that brings to mind label mates Ahleuchatistas' style,
Experimental, pushing forward; I personally like this release quite a lot, it clicked from first listen, and I somehow seem to understand the music, its direction and aim or more accurately, seem to be on the same "vibe".
 
Just to followup on something:
I find it remarkable that a band can be as experimental, angular sounding even, abstract and go into what most people would deem noise or unlistenable and yet have the ability to protray such delicacy at the same time, whether it be with their vocals or by means of the more soft and calm passages in their songs or simply by the way the songs are arranged and the instrumentation.
 
 
 
 
I agree with what you wrote "it's just really hard to understand", there's a complexity to it, mainly in the rhythm guitars playing angular and complex parts changing time signatures and pace (at times reminding me of Ahleuchatistas and Upsilon Acrux).
 
 
Back to Top
mecca View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: July 22 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 213
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 19:19
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Originally posted by mecca mecca wrote:

Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

I am slowly getting to know it more and more but even at first listen I realized how I like it and it's getting better with each listen.
I mentioned it in the RIO Drop In Centre thread and gave my quick synopsis of it.
 
I hope my wife and I get to see them next month in NYC at The Stone
 
 
Holy sh*t, I hope you do to!  avestin, you listen to a lot of great music, in case you didn't know.  Tongue
 
And yeah, even though I liked this album at first listen, it continues to grow on me.  I think what's so spectacular about the album is that it's just really hard to understand.  I'll try to find your post by the way, I'm interested in what you thought of it.
 
 
Sorry, I should have looked for it myself.
 
Here's what I initially posted in the RIO thread:
 
Originally posted by avestin

TIME OF ORCHIDS - Namesake Caution
 
Mostly clear vocals (even harmonies), heavy, mostly slow pace, and yet somehow also delicate... reminds me of Kayo Dot's approach and sound at times... they have this abstract quality to their music and yet there is always a sense of direction to it, never veering to unclear waters. Occasionally there's a play of guitars that brings to mind label mates Ahleuchatistas' style,
Experimental, pushing forward; I personally like this release quite a lot, it clicked from first listen, and I somehow seem to understand the music, its direction and aim or more accurately, seem to be on the same "vibe".
 
Just to followup on something:
I find it remarkable that a band can be as experimental, angular sounding even, abstract and go into what most people would deem noise or unlistenable and yet have the ability to protray such delicacy at the same time, whether it be with their vocals or by means of the more soft and calm passages in their songs or simply by the way the songs are arranged and the instrumentation.
 
 
 
 
I agree with what you wrote "it's just really hard to understand", there's a complexity to it, mainly in the rhythm guitars playing angular and complex parts changing time signatures and pace (at times reminding me of Ahleuchatistas and Upsilon Acrux).
 
 
I can see a lot of similarities to Ahleuchatistas and Upsilon Acrux as well, a lot of the album lends itself to the math rock field, there's a mixture of many different genres, but they all blend together by the great pacing.  Wow, now I realize what wasn't utilized well at all in Sarcasm While, and that's pacing, the individual musical elements in their previous album can be nice IF and ONLY IF they're placed correctly, Sarcasm felt really choppy, there was no continuity, and that's what was gained in this album, they were able to contain so many different influences in one album because of one thing, pace.
Back to Top
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: September 18 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 12620
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 19:22
^^^
I see what you mean. Well, this is turning to be a very interesting discussion.
 
I haven't heard their previous albums (except for samples and Myspace). Aside from the previuos one, have you heard any other album? Would you recommend them?
 
 
Back to Top
mecca View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: July 22 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 213
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 19:47
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

^^^
I see what you mean. Well, this is turning to be a very interesting discussion.
 
I haven't heard their previous albums (except for samples and Myspace). Aside from the previuos one, have you heard any other album? Would you recommend them?
 
 
The album that got me into them was Sarcasm While, and that was because of a select number of songs on the album that were really great.  It kind of felt like a sadly misshapen collaboration of different bands, though, so that's what kept me waiting until a new album; I knew they had potential, though, through Sarcasm While. 
 
I've heard bits and pieces of songs from their other two albums, and as far as I can tell, they're like Sarcasm While.  Namesake Caution seems to be their defining album at the moment.  I recommend Sarcasm While, if you want some extra songs, but as a whole, it only shows the band's talent, it doesn't have class like this one.


Edited by mecca - October 13 2007 at 19:51
Back to Top
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Joined: October 24 2005
Location: Puerto Rico
Status: Offline
Points: 9008
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2007 at 02:28
If you think that Namesake Caution is an improvement to Sarcast While then I'm more eager to listen to it! I like Sarcast While, but I still think it had some bad moments in it so maybe this will be the improvement they needed. Thumbs%20Up

Back to Top
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: September 18 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 12620
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 14:01

I hope I can make their show in NYC next month.

They said they'll be glad to sign my copy and they'll have more stuff to sell and I hope I can get some small questions to ask them to post here in PA and maybe a show review. It all depends if I can make it.

 

 

Back to Top
mecca View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: July 22 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 213
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 18:15
My somewhat local record store Atomic Records finally received the album, I'm going to pick it up tomorrow; I can't wait! 
 
Just wondering, avestin, are the lyrics in the packaging of Namesake Caution?  And yeah, I really hope you can make it, I'd definitely like to hear more information from the band.


Edited by mecca - October 25 2007 at 18:16
Back to Top
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: September 18 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 12620
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 22:58
Originally posted by mecca mecca wrote:

My somewhat local record store Atomic Records finally received the album, I'm going to pick it up tomorrow; I can't wait! 
 
Just wondering, avestin, are the lyrics in the packaging of Namesake Caution?  And yeah, I really hope you can make it, I'd definitely like to hear more information from the band.
 
Yes, the lyrics are printed in the booklet.
For now it looks like my wife and I will be going (with some friends probably).
 
If we're on the subject of The Stone, then there's some interesing performances there these days:
 
There are theme nights:
CURATED SERIES
Tuesdays—8:00 Solos / 10:00 Notorious Duos
Wednesdays—Improv Nights
Thursdays—New Works & Long Form Compositions
Fridays—Bands
Saturdays—Album Night (Seminal Albums performed in their entirety)
Sundays—Film Night (Experimental Film with Live Music)
 
 
 
Back to Top
mecca View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: July 22 2006
Status: Offline
Points: 213
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 23:58
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Originally posted by mecca mecca wrote:

My somewhat local record store Atomic Records finally received the album, I'm going to pick it up tomorrow; I can't wait! 
 
Just wondering, avestin, are the lyrics in the packaging of Namesake Caution?  And yeah, I really hope you can make it, I'd definitely like to hear more information from the band.
 
Yes, the lyrics are printed in the booklet.
For now it looks like my wife and I will be going (with some friends probably).
 
If we're on the subject of The Stone, then there's some interesing performances there these days:
 
There are theme nights:
CURATED SERIES
Tuesdays—8:00 Solos / 10:00 Notorious Duos
Wednesdays—Improv Nights
Thursdays—New Works & Long Form Compositions
Fridays—Bands
Saturdays—Album Night (Seminal Albums performed in their entirety)
Sundays—Film Night (Experimental Film with Live Music)
 
 
 
Cool man.  I should see what my local music venues do... I hear Chicago's are pretty great; I've read that they have a pretty large avant garde music community there. 
 
And after even more listens of Namesake Caution, I really love production and mixing, the drums are loud and crisp... it sounds like the album is largely drum-oriented -the guy is very talented.
Back to Top
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Joined: April 01 2004
Status: Offline
Points: 3013
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 04:19
I haven't heard this album yet, but Time of Orchids are an awesome band.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.139 seconds.

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.