Topic ClosedAl DiMeola

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 14:58

Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

[

We do. It's called Prog-Metal. There are a few hundred of those bands it seems.

That's not what I said! prog metal is obviously a subgenre of prog rock. But metal is not!

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 15:03
Hey Owl, you must also be a Gene Autry fan as well. Some of his riffs are just killer. Who needs the MsLaughlins Di Meolas or Coryells when we have the Gene Autry legacy to fall back on.
The Owl View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 15:17

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Hey Owl, you must also be a Gene Autry fan as well. Some of his riffs are just killer. Who needs the MsLaughlins Di Meolas or Coryells when we have the Gene Autry legacy to fall back on.

ROTFLMAO!!!   Can't say I've herd Gene Autry play a gee-tarr but I bet he'd love this here translation of my previous rant:

ah's probably rihideg eternal banishment fum th' fo'um, but this hyar Owl fo' one CANNOT TOLERATE Al DiMeola at all! Fry mah hide! Mo'e than 10 seconds of him ah start gittin' hot unner th' neck feathers an' vahrrryyy cranky! Fry mah hide!! Fry mah hide!! Fry mah hide! To me, he's jest a lot of w**kery, flashy speed, technique an' ego, his composishuns strike me as nothin' mo'e than textbook mathematical exercises wif pseudo-latin grooves. ah c'd han'le him in th' framewawk of RTF (t'other guys seemed t'keep his wo'st excesses in check), but on his own, AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH! Fry mah hide! ah guess t'other thin' thet drives me NUTS aout him is his anal, uppight pick ev'ry last note technique, he soun's like a typewriter turned up t'11! Fry mah hide! It acshully hurts mah ears. Plus, a lot of his solos t'me jest lack melody an' soul, an' th' nevah-endin' speed is no he'p, ah wish he'd larn t'leave space between notes an' larn t'loosen up an' stop bein' so anal about ev'ry note. Rant on over, back t'yer regularly scheduled thread, cuss it all t' tarnation

People are puzzled why I don't dig the Stones, well, I listened to the Stones, I tried, and I tried, and I tried, and--I Can't Get No Satisfaction!

www.myspace.com/theowlsmusic
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 15:43
Owl. Everything makes sense through the translation. Have you heard any of  the late Johnny Cash`s Iron Maiden covers. He`s the guy who was married to this chick called June-Carter. You should also check out some of Teri Clark`s mean beyond the speed of light fret melting licks. It would make Al look like he was asleep.
The Owl View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 16:22

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Owl. Everything makes sense through the translation. Have you heard any of  the late Johnny Cash`s Iron Maiden covers. He`s the guy who was married to this chick called June-Carter. You should also check out some of Teri Clark`s mean beyond the speed of light fret melting licks. It would make Al look like he was asleep.

Oddly enough I totally dig Johnny Cash! Great storyteller and really bought much humanity and personality into his music ! THAT was real country in my book!

Funny thing is, in all seriousness, there's country guitarists I've heard that are MINDBLOWING, not because they're fast (although some are) but because of their deep soulful musicality and the ideas that come flying off their fingers. 

SIDENOTE: I guess another reason I got so violently turned off to Al D (besides his playing) was I used to know this guy that had a MORBID (and I mean SERIOUSLY MORBID) fixation with Al, to the point it started to annoy me and eventually creep me out altogether! Plus, the ear can only process so many notes per second before it gets annoying for me at least.

Edited by The Owl
People are puzzled why I don't dig the Stones, well, I listened to the Stones, I tried, and I tried, and I tried, and--I Can't Get No Satisfaction!

Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 16:38

You must be talkin' about Danny Gatton. Speed and melody. The guy was incredible.

RIP  

Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 16:39
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

[

We do. It's called Prog-Metal. There are a few hundred of those bands it seems.

That's not what I said! prog metal is obviously a subgenre of prog rock. But metal is not!

I know what you meant. I was just yankin' yer chain. No offense. Hence the

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 16:49
www.countryarchives.com I actually have a few Johnny Cash albums in my collection myself. One of my favourite Elvis albums is Elvis Country. He does this killer version of Whole Lotta Shakin`Goin`On. Yeah, I`ve got to get Max to rename this site from what is/what isn`t progarchives.com to www.countryarchives.com
The Owl View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 10:02

You must be talkin' about Danny Gatton. Speed and melody. The guy was incredible.

RIP  

Danny was INDESCRIBABLE!! What a talent, dead too young!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123