Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMaldoror from France

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maldoror from France
    Posted: October 19 2007 at 18:54

MALDOROR - L'Arbre-Cimetière

There are those bands which release albums which are dear to your heart for some reason. With Maldoror, both my wife and I have literaly fallen in love with this album. This is a rare album that has both fantastic music and lyric. It is in French (I am a native speaker and my wife learned it) and one major advantage here would be to understand it, it simply makes the album so much better. Not only the story line, but the language itself, its quality and the quoting from Rimbaud add much to the enjoyment of the album.
This is done in the traditional theatrical style of the old rock-progressif, borrowing from older bands (Ange, Mona Lisa et al.) while bringing in much of their own into it, and a fresh modern sound.

They are going to start recording their next album in the coming months, and I am wondering where would you head after such an album? what would you do to keep up with the level you set?

Fans of the albums have started doing many special things, like making a comic srtip of the story line and other things.
My wife, for instance, has decided to translate this into Hebrew (her native tongue) and after that, she is thinking of translating it into Englsh.

Here is their PA bio:
Formerly known as MANDRAGORE and then SHERLOCK, this talented quartet from the south of France have steadily honed their skills playing covers and live gigs for ten years before actually recording their first album. If the latter is any indication of things to come, MALDOROR* has to be one of the most promising French outfit around. As influences go, we could mention KING CRIMSON, GENESIS, SPOCK’S BEARD and ÄNGLAGÅRD, but these French progsters are truly in a class of their own. Strongly rooted in the 70’s tradition and with a typically French/dramatic approach (with Christian Decamps-style vocals), they manage to bypass all clichés and deliver symphonic prog of the finest quality.

Both musically and lyrically, their self-produced “L’arbre-cimetière” is an ambitious concept album whose strength lies in the diversity and richness of its themes, the utter professionalism displayed in every aspect of the musicianship and the perfect symbiosis of music and singing. Powerful, energetic passages that alternate with soft, rich acoustic passages, sophisticated arrangements and a stunning performance by all: in short, quite a feat for a first album and an absolute must not only for fans ANGE and MONA LISA, but for symphonic prog lovers all over. Highly recommended!

* Not to be confused with "noise" band MALDOROR featuring Mike Patton of FAITH NO MORE, MR. BUNGLE and FANTÔMAS.

: : : Lise (HIBOU), CANADA : : :

Here are the reviews here on PA:

Collaborators Reviews

MALDOROR — L'Arbre-Cimetière

Review by tszirmay (Thomas Szirmay)
PROG REVIEWER

4%20stars Sacrebleu! The French are back into the leading edge in terms of new good prog acts, adding to their rich history during the golden years of Ange, Atoll, Mona Lisa, Neo, Arachnoid, Shylock et all... In the last 5 years , new bands such as Taal, Silver Lining, Xang, Seven Reizh, Saens, Aside Beside, Raison de Plus and a slew of othershave left powerful marks on the prog audiophile. Maldoror come out of the red, white and blue with a stunning display of biting & complex brew of the classiest symph-prog around. These 4 gifted musicians are tight as can be, interweaving their talents to produce a masterpiece. J.C. Rouanet is a dedicated technician , more in the heavy chunging rythm style of a Martin Barre, but with a very distinctive lead guitar style that is often awesome and creative. The keyboards weave modern patches with moree conventional multi-keyboard embellishments (piano, organ, synths and tron. The real star, in my opinion , is the stellar rumbling and reptilian bass played by Stephane Descamp, who really puts on a display of your classic prog bass history, at times fat and moody, then shifting in a blitzing propulsion , always inventive. Drummer Silvain Goillot pulverizes his skins with measured aplomb, unselfishly pushing the themes to unequalled heights. The vocals are handled by keys man Christophe Bellieres in a style archtypical of classic French prog, very dramatic, verging on hysterics with a heavy sense of theatrics in the direct spirit of Descamps, LeGuennec & Balzer. The music is -guess what - an album length story about the power of dictatorship and of the struggle of the innocent and unjustly oppressed . It's a torrid affair, replete with powerful themes, sophisticated arrangements, stylish flourishes and the ubiquitious "time changes" that keep things constantly on or near the edge , breathtakingly risky and off-guard. All twelve pieces flow according to the story, with the middle Acte II of particuler brilliance and sheen, with a barrage of rippling lead guitar and synth solos , each better than the other. This is symph-prog of the very highest calibre , never sloppy or needlessly meandering, that multiple listens openly suggest at classic status. The French are showing that they can be true masters in other fields besides soccer. With the above new bands, Maldoror is another jewel to reckon with . I have been waiting since the Riverside album for another hardhitting prog masterpiece and I have been rewarded with this unexpected gift. Rank way up there!

Posted Saturday, February 26, 2005, 17:03 EST | Permanent link

Review by erik neuteboom (erik neuteboom)
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Expert

4%20stars Last Wednesday night was a moving battle between my two passions: music and soccer. In the morning I received a parcel with many progrock CD’s. Due to a very busy daily schedule I had to postpone my wish to a first listening session until the early evening. My first choice was the debut CD “L’Arbre-Cimetière” from the very promising French progrock band MALDOROR, mainly because of two very positive descriptions from fellow reviewers on the Prog Archives site. I had to do it quickly, soon the European Champions League Soccer Finale between my favorite team Liverpool and the shrew Italian AC Milan squad should start. I was very impressed by MALDOROR’s wonderful and moving 24-carat symphonic rock sound but the finale had just begun. After 45 very disappointing minutes Liverpool was 3-0 down and I decided to switch off the televison and re-start my ‘MALDOROR-CD-session’. I was halfway and got every song more excited but then a friend send an e-mail that Liverpool had fought back to 3-3! This stunning information urged me to put on the television. I witnessed a very tense soccer game with eventually Liverpool as the Champions League winners after extra time and a captivating serie of penalties. For me it was “Tears in my eyes” from URIAH HEEP and the stadium speaker start “We Are The Champions” from QUEEN and “You Never Walk Alone” from Gary And The Pacemakers, the Liverpool anthem that can be heard on the PINK LOYD album “Meddle”. After the game I rushed to my CD-player and listened to the rest of the album. My conclusion: MALDOROR is one of the most promising progrock bands I’ve heard in the last five years: the 12 compositions sound wonderful, alternating, elaborated and compelling and features lots of shifting moods, impressive keyboards (Mellotron, organ piano, and synthesizers) and great harder-edged guitarwork. I hear elements from ANGLAGARD, KING CRIMSON, GENESIS, MARILLION and KANSAS but MALDOROR doesn’t sound as a deravitive, they manage to blend their tribute to the Seventies progrock sound with the typical French theatrical approach and lots of original musical ideas. Prog Archives allows a lot of space for the symphonic rock dinosaurs (to me this is OK!) but I would like to say: THIS CD IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!

Posted Thursday, May 26, 2005, 19:15 EST | Permanent link

Review by avestin (Assaf Vestin)
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Zeuhl/RIO/Avant Team

4%20stars Maldoror takes its name from the work Les Chants de Maldoror (The Songs of Maldoror) by Isidore Lucien Ducasse known by his pseudonym of Comte de Lautréamont. It is about a misanthropic man named Maldoror that has renounced all his ties to humanity and its moral laws, but it has no clear plot to it. In this album they incorporate some of this work along with other sources like Arthur Rimbaud poem – Le Bal Des Pendus (Hanged Men’s Ball).

This music feels as though you have entered into a mystic, mysterious and dark tale of old. It is reinforced by the lyrics, which are old fashioned, and of high level, some of it even taken from the great poet Arthur Rimbaud. The vocals, to me, are one of the highlights of this album. They are deep, emotional, and even sensual, with a wide range, fitting the music spirit perfectly. The music is melancholic, as are the lyrics. It is mostly in slow tempo with some parts being faster, but this does not mean the songs lack energy. On the contrary, they all have much power and dynamics and I hardly notice the tempo of the song being slow. I get carried away in the brilliant tunes created by this talented band. The music sounds at time as old French folk themes adapted to modern standards. On other occasions it is more aggressive with the guitars giving a rougher edge to the songs, and it is always enhanced and even fueled by the excellent vocal performance.

This deserves to receive a 5 stars rating since not only it gives me great pleasure listening to it, but I find that this album is built and structured in a fabulous way, leading you through this voyage in the Cemetery-Tree. Each song gives another aspect to the album, adds more emotions and textures to the music. In my opinion, the album as a whole is a brilliant work, and even listening to each song separately is an enjoyable experience. But I will give it 4 stars as it is not exactly there, in the masterpieces position just yet. But not far from it too... Get this!

Posted Saturday, May 13, 2006, 07:48 EST | Permanent link

Review by ZowieZiggy (Daniel)
PROG REVIEWER

5%20stars "Maldoror" stroke hard with their debut album. As soon as the listener has heard the short opening number (the title track, part I) he knows that something special is on its way. It is fully reminiscent of KC and is to related with the opening number of "Caricatures" (from "Ange" : "Biafra 80"). Fantastically scary.

The relation with "Ange" cannot be avoided. The theme of the album takes apparently place during the medieval ages and the vocalist Christophe Bellière (very pleasant I must say) sounds rather theatrical, you know like Descamps (Christian). There is even a Descamp (Stéphane) who is holding the bass here...

This is truely of symphonic jewel of an album. If by any chance you like bombastic music, intricated instrumental parts, Crimsonesque filiation (the early days one), you will definitely like this album. French knowledge is a plus of course, but it is not as necessary as for the early "Ange" production. This album can fully be appreciated without understanding all the lyrics (but still, it helps...).

At times, it gets harder ("La Convocation", really good, "Les Nouveaux Mondes"), some narration instead of sung vocals also take place here and there to introduce some tracks ("L' Ouverture Du Procès" for instance). This song is emotive and lyrically probably the most cruel for our hero "Iken" when he is being told that there is only one law : the one of the power in place ("nous restons les maîtres du pouvoir" - we remain the master of the power).

Very interesting narration to start "Le Pouvoir Des Mots". I guess that anyone suffering in a dictatorship must feel the same than "Iken". To face a trial in front of some puppets who already have made their own judgement and condemned the accused whatever he might say is probably a daily business in those countries (whatever when it takes / took place). Anyway, "Le Pouvoir Des Mots" is another strong number. It is also the section of the album that holds the longest tracks (from "L'ouverture Du Procès" through "Simples Physiciens") as well as the most complex ones.

"Simple Phyciens" starts like a funeral party and is a very emotional song. The second part is wild and is more in the "Atoll" style. Let's put it this way : it is just grandiose. Some religious reference with "Ainsi Soit-Elle". Some sort of prayer for the dying truth (so be with it). Nasty (the content of the text I mean not the song) and pessimistic.

"La Sentence" could have been a KC song : strong guitar, repetitive riffs, great drumming, very powerful backings. Our hero will hear the sentence of his "big trial" (grand procès). One of my fave on this excellent album.

Another highlight is the closing number : "L'Arbre Cimetière - Le Grand Livre S' Effeuille". Extremely dark (lyrically). A short phrase will completely upset the listener at the end of the song, so if you would like to be surprised do not read this review further because it will reveal some VERY astonishing words.

You can't wait ? OK, here you go : "Iken, wake up, it was only a dream. You are REALLY dead" .

As if the whole story just did not take place. It will be followed by two minutes of silence and the last section features the sound of a gravedigger at work. Brrrrrrr.

Some more craziness in the lyrics would have been appreciated but maybe that "Maldoror" did not want to do this to avoid an even more evident similarity with "Ange". To a certain extension, "Atoll" is also a source of inspiration. But these are good ones, right ?

Five stars (nine out of ten actually). Do listen to this album, please.

Posted Sunday, August 26, 2007, 06:56 EST | Permanent link

Guests Reviews

Review by josian_d

4%20stars These newcomers perform a superb Progressive rock. The musicians play a contrasted and refined music that alternates energetic themes, acoustic parts with sophisticated orchestrations and beautiful vocal parts in French. This music can hardly be compared to other French progressif rock bands'. Although this mature work clearly displays a large palette of international influences - Spock’s Beard, King Crimson, Queensryche, Genesis, … - the variety and the substance of the compositions is really splendid and all the clichés were avoided. These four talented musicians worked for three years and got involved into a really tough work : every harmonic aspect, every rhythmic pattern and every melody were polishd up. All the artwork was also very carefully dealt with : it is a good illustration of this ambitious concept album. In a nutshell, a definitely excellent first album ! Listen to the samples on their website www.maldoror-web.com and get one copy of "L'Arbre-Cimetière", you won't regret it !

Posted Tuesday, February 01, 2005, 09:43 EST | Permanent link

Review by roger.sanchez8

5%20stars This band from south west France present an elaborated progressive rock concept album with medieval influences. Lyrics are in french but it is not a problem if you don’t understand the story, vocals are very beautifulls with fantastic melodies and great musicianship. The other reviewers spoke about Ange influence and I have to add that this music remind me: “La vieille que l’on brûla” from another good french band Ripaille.

Please, get a copy of this great gem, sit comfortably in your armchair with a glass of wine, turn down the light a bit, close your eyes and have a nice time listening to this wonderfull masterpiece. 5 stars Website: www.maldoror-web.com

Posted Thursday, February 16, 2006, 17:03 EST | Permanent link

One of the best albums we've heard, brilliant, magical, beautiful... (But I realise not everyone will like this).  

Edited by avestin - October 19 2007 at 18:57
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2007 at 22:50
Bump...
If I had to choose only one album of all the threads about bands I made so far in this section, this would be it!

Edited by avestin - October 19 2007 at 22:50
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2007 at 22:54
hmm, that's quite an endorsement.. I'll add them to my list

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2007 at 22:56
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I got that album David, on Assaf's recommend, wow..  A FABULOUS album.  Highly ..highly recommended.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2007 at 09:11
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I got that album David, on Assaf's recommend, wow..  A FABULOUS album.  Highly ..highly recommended.

I'm glad you liked it, Michael.

The drummer Sylvan and I have been communicating randomly and he told me about how they are taking the time for their second album, due to variuos reasons, and that he hope will live up to expectations and that they are putting a lot into it.
He was also ammused and thrilled by the idea of my wife translating it into Hebrew... So far, from what I read, she's doing a very good job (it really ain't easy to translate this poetic form of French into any other language).

and their Myspace http://www.myspace.com/maldororprog for samples and songs.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2007 at 09:21
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I'm glad you liked it, Michael.

The drummer Sylvan and I have been communicating randomly and he told me about how they are taking the time for their second album, due to variuos reasons, and that he hope will live up to expectations and that they are putting a lot into it.
He was also ammused and thrilled by the idea of my wife translating it into Hebrew... So far, from what I read, she's doing a very good job (it really ain't easy to translate this poetic form of French into any other language).

and their Myspace http://www.myspace.com/maldororprog for samples and songs.

I meant to ask you how that 2nd album was coming
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2007 at 10:35
Haha Assaf, that Maldoror review is the weirdest I have ever written, a combination of my progrock and football passion Heart I remember that I worked for the Dutch progrock magazine Io Pages and that I got it from the band as a promo, within a few minutes I was blown away, the compelling Mellotron sound, the emotion and the creative compositions Thumbs%20Up How sad that they seem to be another promising one-shot-band Unhappy
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2007 at 16:50
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Haha Assaf, that Maldoror review is the weirdest I have ever written, a combination of my progrock and football passion Heart I remember that I worked for the Dutch progrock magazine Io Pages and that I got it from the band as a promo, within a few minutes I was blown away, the compelling Mellotron sound, the emotion and the creative compositions Thumbs%20Up How sad that they seem to be another promising one-shot-band Unhappy

I truly hope not, and they do have the material written for the second album as I understood it, so it's a matter of making arrangements to the songs and recording them.

I'll mayeb give a synopsis of the album concept later on. I'll ask my wife to write it.

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2007 at 18:26
Assaf, I am glad to read in your post that Maldoror is busy with their new album, perhaps a new candidate for an interview by the two of us .. although I still have to prepare the Anton Roolaart interview Embarrassed !

By the way, the Maldoror album was one of the best selling items for my friend Hans with his Progwalhalla, progheads kept on begging for it and everybody reacted so euphoric Approve !

Edited by erik neuteboom - October 20 2007 at 18:34
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2007 at 19:28
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Assaf, I am glad to read in your post that Maldoror is busy with their new album, perhaps a new candidate for an interview by the two of us .. although I still have to prepare the Anton Roolaart interview Embarrassed !

By the way, the Maldoror album was one of the best selling items for my friend Hans with his Progwalhalla, progheads kept on begging for it and everybody reacted so euphoric Approve !

Oh, interviewing them is a great idea (and I am in contact with them, so it's no problem).

I didn't know about their album being so popular, that is great!!

Post Reply Post Reply