Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSom Imaginário - Matança do Porco

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Som Imaginário - Matança do Porco
    Posted: October 20 2007 at 21:04

OK, I don't expect that many of the users of ProgArchives listen a lot to Brazilian music (just like I am not expected to know much about bands from Poland), but I feel the obligation to recomend each country's greatest artists. There are just so many talented composers/musicians in Brazil (and all over the world, of course Wink), such as Chico Buarque, Milton Nascimento, Lô Borges, Paulinho da Viola and other giants that aren't much heard of outside their country...

Anyways, I had decided to research Som Imaginário over here because of their bonds with Clube da Esquina (yet another Brazilian group which is unbelievably good, look for it. I swear you won't regret a penny), with which SI shared most, if not all, of their musicians, not to mention that they were featured on plenty of their former colleagues. And "Matança do Porco" ("The Pig's Slaughter", I suppose) was pointed as their best work. And weren't the reviewers right!

An instrumental album, fairly more inclined to fusion, and yet the erudit and brazilian influences are still very strong, a blend to which you will listen when enjoying the astonishing "Mar Azul" (that means only "Blue Sea", I guess): the very popular and groovy Brazilian rhytm, samba, is all over the track, in addition of a jazzy piano/flute duet, amazing guitar solos by the no less amazing Toninho Horta (I think it is him... perhaps another Brazilian user knows for sure), all soaked with tasty orchestration.

No need to think twice before enjoying this album Smile Oh, by the way, will you please write a review here of a local musician that, in spite of its popularity in its own country, isn't very known internationally. It's always nice to listen to new stuff, you know... ^^
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 09:53
Bump.... deserves more views.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 10:19
PA members and visitors are discovering more late 60s-early 70s hidden gems coming not only from Brazil, but also from Argentina, Chile, Peru, Mexico, etc. I mean the whole Latin America.

SOM IMAGINÁRIO is a good band to start, no doubt about... their 'Feira Moderna' song (included in their debut album) means much to me 'cause it helped to open the eyes and mind of a 12-year old kid in relation to music. Smile

A short note: If we think that "Folk" goes beyond 'Celtic' then a meaningful number of Latin American acts could be added here in the future, like Marconi Notari, Lula Cortez, A Tribo, Sirlan, and even Novos Baianos... all really progressive for the times been.

Guigo

~~~~~~
 Post Reply Post Reply