Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDate Course Pentagon Royal Garden from Japan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Date Course Pentagon Royal Garden from Japan
    Posted: October 20 2007 at 21:06
With this thread I guess I'll get even less response and views than with the other ones given the nature of this band....

If you want special, you're in the right place... if you want weird, you're in the right place.... If you want original, you're in the right place... If you want ear friendly or catchiness, well... that's debatable...

Here's Adam's bio here on PA:

Date Course Pentagon Royal Garden was the resulting emergence of several key protagonists within the Japanese underground scene, forming an astounding new super group in both musical scope and members [11+]. Formed by Naruyoshi Kikuchi in ’99 out of the ashes of RIO/free jazz group Tipographica, he quickly snapped up guitar and turntable guru Otomo Yoshihide, along with fellow ‘New Jazz Quintet’ compatriots Kenta Tsugami and Yasuhiro Yoshigaki. Expansions followed, inducting musicians prolific in technical capabilities and affluent experiences within improv circles.

DCPRG hit the scene with brute force, releasing two albums in 2001. Their first a split record with Rovo [Japanese post-rock band], who shares members from DCPRG’s line-up. Their second release for the year ‘Report From Iron Mountain’ resolved their initiation, catapulting the band to sit alongside other notables from the underground scene. Upon numerous occasions, ‘Report From Iron Mountain’ sites uncanny parallels to Miles Davis Bitches Brew, intersecting improvised electronics and funked out grooves with Tipographica’s quirky RIO.

Persons familiar with the Japanese scene will lick the lips in anticipation, while Jazz-rock gurus will find many pleasurable facets underneath the thicket of edgy counterparts. Recommended !

==Adam (Black Velvet)==

Date Course Pentagon Royal Garden | Profile

DCPRG are a jazz collective led by keyboard player Naruyoshi Kikuchi. Kikuchi has involved himself in a number of other projects also, some of which he plays sax in, including playing with pop singer UA, playing straight jazz, as well as playing in other improvisional settings, playing and recording in a duo called Spank Happy, and recording his own solo album Degustation a Jazz. He also teaches a course in jazz at the prestigious Tokyo University, writes books and maintains a website tracking his psychiatric state. The band’s other fairly well known member is guitarist Otomo Yoshide, who also works a wide spectrum of projects, including recording with club music oriented Nobukazu Takemura, improvised music/ free jazz with the likes of Bill Laswell and Chris Cutler, recording for John Zorn’s Tzadik label, modern classical leaning work with Carl Stone, as well as ethnomusicology study, much of which is based on music and musical instruments during China’s Cultural Revolution (and as result he has worked extensively with Chinese musicians and in Chinese film). While most of DCPRG members have a history of playing in jazz bands, the more or less 11-piece band are not of a purist ilk of any sort. They happily mix post-rock minimalism, free jazz, funk and electronica influences, and their audience includes rock, dance club, and jam band fans. Their debut album in 2001 Report From Iron Mountain, was often compared in style to the Miles Davis masterpiece Bitches Brew, and received numerous reviews in foreign media. They have also released a split album with Rovo, a live album called Musical From Chaos, and released re-mixed albums. The band mostly performs their own compositions but also do a number of odd (for jazz) covers including “Hey Joe”, “Stayin’ Alive”, and “Fame”. Initially not much embraced by the Japanese jazz establishment, the group now gets some nod there, and in addition has a varied fan base in Japan and internationally.
 Collapse

Website (Japanese) http://columbia.jp/dcprg/

Look for videos of them in their PA page (link above).

honganji View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2007 at 21:33

Unfortunately, DCPRG disbanded recently .... Cry

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2007 at 21:34
Originally posted by honganji honganji wrote:

Really?! Damn it!

I still need to get more albums of theirs but they are so expensive!

(a post by Adam in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1....).

Apsalar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2007 at 21:50
LOL ah just noticed this.

I only have Report of Iron Mountain, which is a splendid album, whatever way you look at it. Critics tend to site them as a  Japanese version of Bitches Brew (more particularly this album). This was one of the reason I first checked out the band, since BB is one of my favourite album. I think anyone into 'lively' fusion and the Jazzy side of Avant-prog should love this band.
honganji View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 06:12
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Originally posted by honganji honganji wrote:

Really?! Damn it!

Really, DCPRG disbanded.
Please see this site. --->http://d.hatena.ne.jp/keyword/DCPRG
Maybe you can't understand what is written in Japanese. But you can see 2007年4月25日、O-WESTでのライブにて、解散が発表された。. This sentence means ''DCPRG said their disbandment in live concert at On Air West on April 25, 2007''.
honganji View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 06:22
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

By the way, HMV Japan sells their albums by these prices. Are they more expensive than your shops?
Ooops, if they are cheaper than your favorite shop, I didn't think about shipping cost! Usually Japanese shops require expensive shipping cost. HMV is also such case ... When I purchase some albums in this shop, I'm no need to pay this cost. It is applied only for customers in Japan. Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply