Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFrench TV from the USA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: French TV from the USA
    Posted: October 21 2007 at 11:51
FRENCH TV is an inventive, enthusiastic, exciting and creative band, very humourous in its approch and sound, that has released several albums though are not very well known which is a shame. They have been at this since 1983 making them long time proggers.
They draw influence from Zappa, Soft Machine, Samla Mammas Manna and others and this amalgam results in the sound that is theirs.
You will find elements from all styles in their music, but mainly you will have good time with their music, which is uplifting and energetic.

Their PA bio:

This fun band comes from Louisville (Kentucky) and has existed since 1983. Led by the leadership of bassist Mike Sary, FRENCH TV has released 7 albums of music for musicians, deftly nodding to prog-masters like NATIONAL HEALTH, SOFT MACHINE, ZAPPA, BRUDFORD, BRAND X, HAPPY THE MAN, and SAMLA MAMMAS MANNA, among others. To describe French TV's music is simple and complicated ... All the band’s other issues contain moving moments; a hybrid of Canterbury, RIO, Fusion, and Insanity, not to mention random little snippets of other styles.

"The Violence of Amateurs" is one of the best jazz-rock album of the last ten years. This is somtething that should easily appeal to fans of Canterbury, Fusion or even the more minded symph fan. On the whole, the music on "The Case Against Art" represents a very innovative manifestation of Classic Symphonic Progressive with the elements of Jazz-Fusion and Prog-Metal.

Their website:

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 13:47
Their website is very informative with an  extensive bio of their variuos periods of existence, reviews for all releases (in variuos languages), interviews, news, albums purchases etc.

Link is in post above.

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 17:04
I only have Pardon Our French but I love this band.They are very,very overlooked.

memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 12:41

Only familiar with Violence of Amateurs which is an original and excellent album, i would like to dig this band more.

If my friend Cucacola54 (Jesús) sees this thread, i am sure he will post since he loves French TVSmile

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 18:26
I have The Violence of Amateurs and The Case Against Art, and both are great! I'm surprised they're so obscure, considering how accessible (by prog standards), yet still good their music is. Recommended to everyone!
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 18:31
(Rummages through unteady pile of CDs) I've got Violence of Amateurs, Pardon Our French and This Is What We Do. All excellent albums, if a bit self consciously wacky at times; I think Violence of Amateurs is the best of the 3 that I've got, although I probably need to give This Is What We Do a bit more time. They are one of the few RIO bands to perform cover versions (of other RIO bands, usually), which they generally do very well.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2007 at 01:45
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

They are one of the few RIO bands to perform cover versions (of other RIO bands, usually), which they generally do very well.

I love that about them.I really like the Pardon Our French Medley on the POF album.That is a medley of songs of French prog bands like Carpe Diem,Atoll,Pulsar,Etron Fou Lelouban,Ange and Shylock.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2008 at 19:37
Well, I have since gotten me some more of their great albums....

So it's a good opportunity to bump this upwards...

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 16:09
Since the band was mentioned in this poll I thought it's a good opportunity to bump this to get others interested in this fine band

90's Avant-Prog, part II
By Bj-1, Today at 09:32

The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 16:15
I've heard a few of their albums... Violence of Amateurs is the one I return to most often, if only for the cracking cover of Samla Mammas Manna's Joosan Lost/The Fate. Normally I'm a fan of bands with a sense of humour but I find French TV very rarely pull it off with any real aplomb. That said, they're a fine group and Violence of Amateurs is definitely a worthy addition to anyone's collection!
victor77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2009 at 06:48
French TV is one of the best bands nowadays. I have listened to all their records, and it´s one of  the few bands that I consider non repetitive, despite having their stylistic treats very well defined. For beginners,the best records  could be "The Violence of Amateurs", "The Case Against Art" and the live album "Yoo Hoo!!!", although I think that all their records are essential. Despite being labelled as a RIO band,  I feel its music much closer to the Canterbury Scene. An unknown gem worth to be discovered.
GentleGiant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2009 at 06:53
I have all French TV albums .Great band Clap
BeGiantForADay

"This British band is just the cup of tea for aficionados who demand virtuosity,progress and originality in their mix."

http://rateyourmusic.com/~GentleG
 Post Reply Post Reply