Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Pax Cecilia from the USA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Pax Cecilia from the USA
    Posted: October 21 2007 at 15:39
PAX CECILIA, THE are a recent young band from Pennsylvania, which has started something earlier this year - giving their album Blessed Are The Bonds away for free. But we'll get to that later.
First their bio here in PA:

Hailing from Brookville, Pennsylvania in the USA, The Pax Cecilia deliver a mixture of sounds that can be delicate and smooth on the one hand and heavy and fierce on the other hand. With the use of classical instruments (strings, trombone, piano) they augment their sound, their heavier metal side which is in itself complex, beautiful and compelling. Atmospheric sounding alongside aggressive tunes are to be found in their songs; the end result being a sound that will appeal to people who like the idea of combining the sounds of sludge/atmospheric metal (Isis, Neurosis) and the more adventurous and experimental side of metal (Maudlin Of The Well, Grayceon), while not leaving out the aggressions that metal music is known for.

The band is a self accomplished band, producing and releasing their two first albums by themselves, and moreover they have been giving away their albums for free. As John Feustel from the band says: “We’re attempting to exist on a donation-based model, we realize that the music industry is undergoing a radical change, and we want to be at the front of separating the art of music from commercial interests.”

This young band, full of talent and a love for music and its exploration, is highly recommended to those seeking an original, creative and not-typical progressive metal band.

So, would you like to have their album Blessed Are The Bonds?
If so go to http://www.paxcecilia.com/ and read how.
Basically what you need to do is send them an email with your adress and ask for the album and they'll send it to you, at no cost.
You can donate to them if you wish (which I have, since I love their music so much, I wanted to show my appreciation in some way).

You can also listen there to samples.
More info and audio samples can be heard at:
http://www.myspace.com/thepaxcecilia

Now to the reviews here in PA:

THE PAX CECILIA — Blessed Are The Bonds

Review by chamberry (Ruben Dario)
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Psychedelic Prog & Post RockTeams

4%20stars The Pax Cecilia is one of this year's great surprises. I stumbled across them in early June when I was searching for a new band to check out. I was reading a review of their latest album, "Blessed Are The Bonds", when I stumbled upon a sentence that quickly caught my attention: "They're giving it for free". I didn't even think twice about it and quickly send them an email requesting the album. It arrived weeks later and what a wonderful album this is. Who would've thought a free album would be this good?!

The Pax Cecilia's music is a combination of many different elements. They seem to have many influences in their music, but when you try to put them in a box labeled with X or Y genre it'll most likely stick out like a sore thumb. The addition of classical instruments like the piano, strings and trombone are given the same attention as the rock instruments and in many cases they are more dominant than the actual rock instrumentation (specially the piano). In other words, they sound like a single entity instead of the classical instruments sounding like an extension of the band. This tactic gives the band a more theatrical sound that fits perfectly with the story telling. (I'm not quite sure what is it about, but it does sound interesting)

The music on this album is focused more in the atmosphere and emotions rather than complexity. Most of the complex moments on this album are well fitted with the band's heavier and aggressive nature which isn't very dominant on this album to begin with. Their sound is divided into two different musical spectrums: delicate and rough. As previously mentioned, the rough and aggressive side of the band isn't very dominant and it's mainly showed in "The Progress" and in "The Machine". The rest of the album is dominated by their delicate side that sounds symphonic, fine and very emotional. The vocalist does a great job adapting its sound to the different atmospheres in the album. The only difference is the last song on the album, "The Hymn" which is more rooted in folk music than anything. There are also songs that fall between the delicate and rough nature of the band and end up being the high points in the album (like "The Tree").

All in all, "Blessed Are The Bonds" is a magnificent album that manages to be unique while not sacrificing the overall quality of the music. The closest band I could think of that's similar to The Pax Cecilia is maudlin of the Well, but there's still a gap between their sounds. If you're looking for a refreshing sound that's punchy as well as delicate while still being emotional then "Blessed Are The Bonds" by The Pax Cecilia is the album for you and it's free so there's nothing to loose. Try it.

Posted Saturday, September 08, 2007, 15:27 EST | Permanent link

Guests Reviews

THE PAX CECILIA — Blessed Are The Bonds

Review by N Ellingworth (Nicholas Ellingworth)

5%20stars Lurking between post metal and experimental music are The Pax Cecilia, who with this release have hit upon a fantastic form of advertising; giving albums away for free complete with mini poster, booklet and incredible artwork, this is how I came to listen to them.

Blessed are the Bonds starts with The Tragedy an initially quiet piece which pick ups pace and intensity in a similar way to many of Godspeed You Black Emperor's best songs. The vocals are almost ethereal and add very well to the atmosphere of the song, the strings and piano add to the atmosphere created by the vocals incredibly well. As the song continues the volume increases and the vocals become harsher but the song soon returns to it initial pace, before immediately becoming more intense and calming down again. A great way to start the album.

Like The Tragedy a piano is used to open The Tomb Song, creating a similar dark atmosphere when combined with the vocals, with the introduction of guitars, percussion and violins the song becomes very intense. After a period of relative calm the song really start to pick ups and The Pax Cecilia show off their metallic edge but still with the ever present piano and violins as the core of the music. A great follow up to The Tragedy.

Unlike the previous songs The Progress starts with a heavily distorted guitar riff, this song is a relatively straight forward heavy piece with suitable screamed vocals. However that does not mean that the subtle melodies created in the previous songs are missing, far from it they are still present but the guitars really shine here with some wonderful riffs being played. Towards the end the song calms down and provides some respite from the intensity of the rest of the song. This is another very strong piece.

The Machine is another heavy piece again with the guitars doing the bulk of the work and again the vocals are screamed rather than sung. This piece is relatively short in comparison to the previous songs but is far from being filler and stands up very well on it's own.

The Wasteland reintroduces the clam starts of The Tragedy and The Tomb Song, this time using wind effects punctuated by piano chords to create the impression of a vast wasteland. What sounds like a sample of the Mellotron Choir also makes an appearance in this short but very ethereal and atmospheric piece.

The Water Song continues the use of ambient effects but this time the melody is provided by a guitar. This is initially a beautiful ambient piece, but soon the metal riffs return as the song gets more intense, the riffs played here are reminiscent of the heavier songs by Red Sparowes in their feel and power. After the brief metal moment, the violins and piano take over with a very melancholic section. Again the song builds up to a very intense section this time with the piano and violins taking the lead. After another quiet section the song reaches new peaks of heaviness and intensity. The Water Song is easily one of the albums strongest tracks.

The Tree is a surprisingly fast starter, it begins with a very quiet guitar but as instruments join in the pace quickens and helps create an interesting atmosphere. Soon the riffs make an appearance but only briefly as the song continues to intensify. The riffing guitars return again until near the end and this time they are heavier and well accompanied by the violins. Ending quietly The Tree is another very strong song.

Blessed are the Bonds closes with The Hymn which feature acoustic guitars for the first time on the album, which give the song a different feel to the rest of the album, but it is not out of place and still fits in perfectly with all the other songs. Very delicate vocals provide a strong accompaniment for the guitar line. A gentle close for a truly enjoyable album.

Blessed are the Bonds is one of the best albums I have heard this year, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Posted Saturday, September 08, 2007, 14:47 EST | Permanent link

A fantastic band, which should not be ignored.

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 17:58
"So, would you like to have their album Blessed Are The Bonds?
If so go to http://www.paxcecilia.com/ and read how.
Basically what you need to do is send them an email with your adress and ask for the album and they'll send it to you, at no cost.
You can donate to them if you wish (which I have, since I love their music so much, I wanted to show my appreciation in some way). "

I not only urge everyone who is interested to have them send you the cd(which they do absolutely free of charge),but also to send them a donation like Assaf and also myself did.
They really need compensated for not only their generosity but their hard work.

This is a SUPERB cd,and one of my candidates for best album of the year.

Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 22:32
I love those samples, but when I tried to email them it bounced back. I'll try again, that was a while ago.
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 23:02
Sounds pretty cool, I'll give them a go!
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2007 at 23:43
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Sounds pretty cool, I'll give them a go!

Knowing your taste in music I'm shocked that you haven't listened to them already! Shocked

Anyways, They're highly recommended. Their 2007 album (the one that they're giving for free) is one of my top 10 favorite album from this year.

ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 00:11
I'm emailing them right now, they look very interesting.
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 00:12
this album is too good

ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 00:19
I emailed them...is that all? How fast does it take for them to email the album back?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 00:26
Originally posted by ProgBagel ProgBagel wrote:

I emailed them...is that all? How fast does it take for them to email the album back?

I don't know if they do email backLOL the album takes a whiiiiile to get to your house though, count on at least a month

Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 00:59
I emailed them quite a while ago...no CD yet (though they emailed me back)
N Ellingworth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 10:26
It can take a while for the CD to arrive but it is really worth the wait.
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 12:44
What!?!?!, it just said to email them.....at [email protected]. I didn't see anything to give them my adress...I thought it was just a link to download it. What am I missing here?
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 13:46

What!?!?!, it just said to email them.....at [email protected]. I didn't see anything to give them my adress...I thought it was just a link to download it. What am I missing here?

yeah, they need your address to send a physical CD.  pretty neat.

I listened to their myspace samples last night and they rocked my world.  I'm now sad that I have to wait for the album to arrive... Cry
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 15:47
Oh, crap I feel like an ass. I just emailed them again with my college email.
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 15:53
Its been 2 days...no email back. I feel deprived.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 16:01
They don't email you back and you need to give them your actual street address.

This is no CD-R with a photocopied cover,but a real cd in a digi-pak with some awesome artwork.

ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 16:48
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

This is no CD-R with a photocopied cover,but a real cd in a digi-pak with some awesome artwork.

Thanks Jody, I emailed them with my street adress. Thanks for the extra info too, how long did it take for you to recieve the album again?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 16:50
/\ it took me about 4 to 5 weeks if i recall correctly, so don't expect it any time soon

but its still worth it, I'll probably donate on their site a bit

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 18:43

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Thanks Jody, I emailed them with my street adress. Thanks for the extra info too, how long did it take for you to recieve the album again?

It was mailed from New York and I live in Maryland and I got mine in exactly 2 weeks.

ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 18:56
Oh boy! I live in New York!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>