FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWakeman, Emerson, Squire, Kirke support Zep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2007 at 11:21
Originally posted by Mandrakeroot Mandrakeroot wrote:

W.E.S.K.... Sounding like Heavy Symphonic Prog band for me!

But in every case W.E.S.K. are a extreme great band!

And Zep... Like in other case... risk to to be outclassed. Unfortunately!

Surely I will buy a new Zep release, obvious.
But, if a W.E.S.K. conceived an album... I will bought also this marvellous album!!!

Too great news in one thread are... Great!
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2007 at 18:37
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I`d go just to see these guys go at it. But no guitar player??? from an interview Plant gave he doesn`t seem to be too enthusiastic about this Zeppelin re-grouping. Anyone know who`s going top be on the kit?

Jason Bonham (the son)

and yes Plant is sort of forced into it by Page

This reunion is supposed to be for Ahmet Ertegun's foundation (Atlantic label boss) who died last year.

I don't suppose I could ask where to find the Plant interview. The bits I've read from Page seem to indicate that he's the most enthusiastic, with Jones being open minded as  to what comes next.
I didn`t hear the actual interview. One night on the local classic rock station here in Montréal the DJ who had heard it was didscussing it and he was saying things to the effect that Robert was saying that it was a one night stand no tour no nothing afterwards and not to get our hopes up. In Monday`s Montréal Gazette there was an article about his upcoming collaboration with an American singer ( can`t remember her name ) and when asked about the Zep reunion he quickly changed the subject back to his upcoming album with this young lady. He also hinted strongly about a tour with her. I`ll look in my recycling bin to see if I can find the article.

Yes, that would be the album Raising Sand that he's done with Alison Kraus. I heard the advance single "Killing the Blues". It reminds me of some of the rootsier things he's done over the last decade. I also read a bit in Bob Lefsetz music news letter that explains the difference between Page & Plant -
"Hate to tell you, but Led Zeppelin at the O2 Arena won't deliver.  It'll be sans all the danger, all the importance the band held back in the seventies, when it still counted.  You may want to go to impress your buddies, but you'll get more soul-fulfillment listening to Robert's duets album with Alison Krauss.  Because, you see, just like you, Robert kept on living.  He didn't get a facelift.  Didn't record dance numbers.  He kept lifting the rug, seeing what was underneath."

Compare Page's musical efforts since Zep's break-up, with what Bobby's been up to. Heck, even John Paul Jones showed that he could do more than re-live the 70s, by producing alternative rock acts like the Butthole Surfers, being part of a musician's collective (distribution wise) , and basically putting out solo albums of music he was interested in making when he wanted to, in other words - not because he needed to feel like a mega star all over again.
Page, on the other hand - semi decent start with some so-so soundtrack work, then a mediocre supergroup The Firm that was carried by Paul Rodgers, followed by a disappointing solo album Outrider, a supposed comeback with Coverdale Page; and finally resurrection with Page/Plant and Un-led-ed. But even then, the follow-up Clarksdale showed the emperor with no clothes. Left on his own, what does he come up with - a collaboration with P Diddy, remaking Kashmir as a Rap song (which I enjoyed, but don't think it was as good as Aerosmith's effort with RUN DMC).
Reminds me of a story I read about Page. He wanted to start the Firm as a way to show that he wasn't a washed up drug addicted rock star. Within a few months of the debut album, he was busted for cocaine possession. And do you know what it takes for a rich & famous person to be caught like that ? LACK OF ACTUAL BRAIN FUNCTION. So I salute & worship his past works, but if Zep were to come back, it would be up to Plant & Jones to carry the load. Hey ... maybe that's what those two should do - new duo - P & J ! Or the PJs. Or Two Old Blondes !

Edited by debrewguy - October 24 2007 at 18:42
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2007 at 19:24
@Pantagruel: I love "Outrider"... it didn't disappoint me, so I guess it can't be objectively and unanimously said it's a "disappointing" album, can it? Wink You may also know that when collaborating with Puff Daddy, they recorded a "live in studio" version, almost 10 minutes long, with a full chorus, and with an absolutely mindblowing guitar solo like I had never heard before (that's how I got my interest in Led Zeppelin, which was to become my favourite band).  Only after that the boring Godzilla-themed video was released. Anyway, it should be clear by know that Page is essentially a team-player: that's why he picked such band members, that's why the best parts of his solo career are those that imply collaborations. If there is a way to use his immense talent, that is to get him the best collaborators possible... and take a wild guess on who those could be. Wink
Personally I think it's now that Led Zeppelin in it's purest form would have the greatest effect on the scene & on the world right now... but that depends on what can they still deliver.
And Plant never made dance music? I thought you said you heard his third album...
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2007 at 21:03
Originally posted by andu andu wrote:

@Pantagruel: I love "Outrider"... it didn't disappoint me, so I guess it can't be objectively and unanimously said it's a "disappointing" album, can it? Wink You may also know that when collaborating with Puff Daddy, they recorded a "live in studio" version, almost 10 minutes long, with a full chorus, and with an absolutely mindblowing guitar solo like I had never heard before (that's how I got my interest in Led Zeppelin, which was to become my favourite band).  Only after that the boring Godzilla-themed video was released. Anyway, it should be clear by know that Page is essentially a team-player: that's why he picked such band members, that's why the best parts of his solo career are those that imply collaborations. If there is a way to use his immense talent, that is to get him the best collaborators possible... and take a wild guess on who those could be. Wink
Personally I think it's now that Led Zeppelin in it's purest form would have the greatest effect on the scene & on the world right now... but that depends on what can they still deliver.
And Plant never made dance music? I thought you said you heard his third album...

Sorry about the objective aspect. In general, the album was poorly received. I don't mind it, but the only song that stuck with me was The Only One, which Plant sang on. I found the instrumentals interesting at first. But too quickly I thought them incomplete or not fully developed as his ideas would have been in Zep. The Dance album thing is from Bob Lefsetz's newsletter. My wife & I have all Plant's stuff including Shaken n Stirred. I don't know that I would call it Dance music, though it was part of the 80s production sound. But I mostly see that LP as Plant trying something new & putting his spin on it. The Puff Daddy collab I liked.
But if you compare Page with Plant, it seems that after Zep, Page just never hit the spot again. And if you check the credits on In Through the Out Door, Page ceded his songwriting chair to Jones. But it wouldn't surprise me if Page did someday come out with another great piece of music. But his track record for the last 30 years does suggest that he's a bit (subjectively speaking) of a spent force creatively.
Oh, for the collaboration quality you see in him, why is it that Bobby plays with new  musicians a plenty, but Page ends up with the same old crew(s) ? Jones didn't play on his solo album, and neither did Jones ask for Page's help on his own. Plant had him on 2 songs from one solo album, they did Un-led-ed together, which owed much of its' success to the remakes of Zep tunes. Clarksdale sold like in the thousands, with Plant moving on afterwards to some of the best work of his career. Page, in the meantime, has yet to show that he can create (in collab or not) on a consistent basis much that will generate any interest beyond his hard core fans.
So again, subjectively speaking, I love the music that the man made years ago; but post Zep, I could fit the songs of his that I like on an EP . Plant on the other hand, I have all his solo stuff, including the Honeydrippers, will pick up his DVD with the Strange Sensation, and even Jones' mention in music articles will be enough to get me reading. But Page is Past his Prime (as Per this Person)
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2007 at 11:41
This solo album  Raising Sand with Alison Kraus ( it says in the paper she`s from Kentucky ? ) is getting some good reviews. I`m going to check it out on the listening station at HMV. Not too crazy about his post-Zep stuff but who knows maybe this one will do it. If anything, I think that this Zeppelin thing will be a boost for Plant. 
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 16:55
Alan White has now joined in too, this from the Yesworld website http://www.yesworld.com/:

Chris will be joining Rick Wakeman, Keith Emerson, and Simon Kirke to warm up the crowd for Led Zeppelin's reunion gig at the Ahmet Ertegun memorial concert at the O2 Dome in London on November 26. After Chris and Alan White spoke on the phone on Wednesday it now seems almost 100% likely that Alan will join in as well. The music that will be performed will be a version of ELP’s “Fanfare for the Common Man”, originally composed by Aaron Copland.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12