Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFoxtrot by The Musical Box

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foxtrot by The Musical Box
    Posted: October 22 2007 at 18:55
The Musical Box was playing the Foxtrot show last Saturday in Amsterdam. This is around 225 KM from where I live (in Belgium - two hours drive). But I got some excellent CD's to play during the trip and could concentrate on the music since I was alone in the car.

As an hors d'Oeuvre, the good neo-prog band "Plackband" was opening the show. A short set (half an hour) of pleasant music. With a good live show as well.

And then ...

"Watcher Of The Skies". It was the seventh time that I saw the band and this song has always been played : either as the opener or as one of the encores ("The Lamb tour). And each time, I am fully emotionated and close to physically cry when the mellotron starts. But the whole of this concert is fantastic.

Each song flowing so nicely and so quickly. "The Musical Box", "Salmacis", "Get'em Out", "Supper's Ready" and then the mighty "Hogweed" which is truely phenomenal.

What's interesting in this show is to see the difference in Peter's attitudes between the "Foxtrot" tour and the "Selling" one (which I see in its white version already). He was more timid, the little stories being shorter during the Foxtrot tour : almost reduced to a minimum for "Hogweed", and "Get'em", "Musical Box". A little longer for "Supper's" but not yet the long one we know thanks to the wonderful verson which is available in their first Archive boxed set.

The encores ? "The Knife" and finally "Can Utility". What else can one dream of ?

Just to go and see them perform a unique "Nursery Cryme" show next week in Duisbourg (Germany - on the 31st of October). And a few days later I will go and see them but in Brussels this time for the "Selling" black show. This will make a total of nine shows to which to which I attended from this great cover band.

And the good news is that "The Musical Box" will continue with ... "A Trick Of The Tail". Starting in September 2008. No news about the line-up but I can only recommend the show. I saw the original one back in 76 and even if some magic had gone on stage it was a great concert as well. For those of you who didn't make the original tour, it is really a must (of course we won't get Brufford and Collins but still...).

I am ready to drive another 450 KM (both ways) to see the extremely rare "Nursery Cryme" tour being performed. I will have some good CD's for the road. Since, I'll be again alone on the way to Duisbourg.Cry

If ever you have the chance to attend one of their show, just do it. It is quite an experience. Either to discover how "Genesis" was on stage if you have never seen their greatest line-up or just get the confirmation that this cover band does an awesome job.

Cheers.
ZowieZiggy
cynthiasmallet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 18:57
Sounds like an excellent gig, I shall have to see them at some point in my life
Would you like to watch TV, or get between the sheets, or contemplate the silent freeway, would you like something to eat?
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 18:58
I would like to see them but not sure as to when if they will ever play in America again.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 19:02
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

I would like to see them but not sure as to when if they will ever play in America again.

Aye that's a point, how regularly do these fellows play in the UK? And isn't there a good Genesis tribute band based in the USA, "Hogweed" I believe?
Would you like to watch TV, or get between the sheets, or contemplate the silent freeway, would you like something to eat?
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 19:03

You are so correct!

http://www.hogweedlives.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2007 at 19:06
hmmm, from the clip of Can-Utility on the site, they sound like a pretty interesting cover band. What bands you into crimhead?
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 05:40

Fine story ZowieZiggy and I am pleased with your postive words about Plackband, I know this band very well, they also hail from The Hague and in the past I frequently visited their rehearsal studio that was a few hundred meters away from my home in Loosduinen (The Hague). By the way, the band went several times to the ATOTT and W&W gigs by Genesis, you can trace that in their sound if you do your best LOL

About The Musical Box (this is not a Plackband thread Wink), The Knife is mindblowing with the changing lights and the stroboscope effects!
I have seen the band 5-6 times and I am looking forward to their A Trick Of The Tail tour (that's very good news), I even hope they wil do the W&W tour, including the 48 Boeing landing lights Clap

Edited by erik neuteboom - October 23 2007 at 05:43
FunnyWays View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 12:58
Will have to check there site to see if there coming to the UK again. I've heard there very very good aswell.

Just checked. There doing 11 shows in the US in december and playing the UK twice, Germany 5 times, Belgium once and Italy 4 times.

Edited by FunnyWays - October 23 2007 at 13:06
ZowieZiggy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2007 at 19:51
Hi crimhead,

Here is the list of shows TMB will perform in the US pretty soon (December) :

2007-12-05 SEBTP USA CHICAGO, IL VIC THEATER 
2007-12-06 BLACK SHOW USA CHICAGO, IL VIC THEATER 
2007-12-07 BLACK SHOW USA MILWAUKEE, WI RIVERSIDE THEATER 
2007-12-09 BLACK SHOW USA CLEVELAND, OH PLAYHOUSE SQUARE CENTER 
2007-12-11 SEBTP USA TONAWANDA, NY RIVIEREA THEATER 
2007-12-12 BLACK SHOW USA TONAWANDA, NY RIVIEREA THEATER 
2007-12-14 SEBTP USA GLENSIDE, PA KESWICK THEATER 
2007-12-15 BLACK SHOW USA GLENSIDE, PA KESWICK THEATER 
2007-12-20 SEBTP USA NEW YORK,NY TRIBECA PAC 
2007-12-21 BLACK SHOW USA NEW YORK,NY TRIBECA PAC 
2007-12-22 SEBTP USA WESTBURY, NY NORTH FORK THEATER

No Foxtrot but the great SEBTP (both versions : black / white). A wonderful show as well (I'll keep you posted soon about the Black show which I will attend on November 3rd).

When nostalgia meets reality... what a wonderful world.

Take care.
ZowieZiggy
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 11:30
Very good...
Guigo

~~~~~~
 Post Reply Post Reply