Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Tech/Extreme Prog metal appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7071727374 76>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2009 at 10:44
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Yep but the majority rules in the PMT. I suspect Esoteric was filed under funeral doom and that´s why it was rejected ( acts such as Ahab or Catacombs would probably also be rejected ( and might already be). As I said I haven´t listened my way through all three studio albums by Portal yet, so for now my vote isn´t cast on that one.

How many did you say vote on these bands?  five folks?  I think it should be more.  five seems rather low.  Are all the dudes fairly "well-versed" musically?  I mean are there some of these guys that detest growl vox and the like?  I am rather surprised that GTT even made it... as harsh as they are... hmmmm.  we'll see.  At the end of it all, I will still like the bands so I guess that is all that matters...   but do put in an "aye" vote for me...  Wink
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2009 at 22:28
Originally posted by avalanchemaster avalanchemaster wrote:

post your thoughts after you listen to a couple of songs a few times.... give it a chance.... it may take time to sink in.  
What album do I start with?
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2009 at 23:55
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

While I would say most of Mories material is equally inaccessible I would recommend starting with this one: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=25343 or the new full-length http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=25350. They are probably also the easiest to get a hold of.

I can recommend starting with the two above mentioned albums but all Mories releases are interesting ( at least the ones I have heard so far)

I´m currently listening to this one: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=25333. A bone chilling experience as anticipated. I´ll post a review when I´m sure what to write about it.

Edited by UMUR - December 23 2009 at 03:54
avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2009 at 10:40
Re:  GTT

I would have to put myself in the "correct" mindset to write an adequate review for music so involved, layered, and complex; even startling and chilling! 

I started with "reeking pained and shuddering" a few years ago.  Almost anything is a good intro.  The splits will vary in quality, because not all of the other projects are as great...
angelmk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2010 at 20:28
to revive this thread and say  the new Sigh - Scenes From Hell rules, utterly amazing .. a can't stop listening to it .. 

www.last.fm/user/angelmk
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 22:06
Woa, gotta not let this thread get too many pages back.

I saw Meshuggah live on Thursday night.
Words cannot do it justice as to how incredible the experience was.
Every member was virtually flawless, the mix was incredible, the guitar and bass tones were top notch and it really inspired me to take my own playing to the next level.
Seriously probably one of the most amazing gigs I've seen in my life, holy crap.
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 22:14
I just want to drop in and possibly stir up some new discussion...

I've been a Dan Swanö fanatic lately (as many of you may know), and I was just wondering if he has any other fans in this thread. I've been really enjoying Edge of Sanity albums lately (especially Crimson, Crimson II, The Spectral Sorrows, and Purgatory Afterglow).

-Jeff

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Tsevir Leirbag View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2010 at 22:48
Gabriel loves Crimson and Purgatory Afterglow.
But, he thinks that the two Cynic albums are even better.
Les mains, les pieds balancés
Sur tant de mers, tant de planchers,
Un marin mort,
Il dormira

- Paul Éluard
angelmk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2010 at 04:12
Edge of Sanity are realy great. i love their Crimson 1/2, Purgatory Afterglow. The new Borknagar is good. Not their best, but still very enjoyable listen. Epic and Empiricism are my fave Borknagar albums,so far 
www.last.fm/user/angelmk
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2010 at 17:01
I just saw Persefone live tonight: they came, they played, they conquered.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2010 at 18:24
The most impressive (two) albums I have heard lately in this category are:
Abigor- Time is the sulphur in the veins of the saint  (avant garde/experimental/extreme/tech black metal)
Serdce- the alchemy of harmony... jazzy, proggy, (slightly)experimental and technical death metal...

oh and not everyone will like them, but Scrambled Defuncts put one out last year that is pretty damn interesting- brutal progressive death metal with crazy twelve tone and experimental keys... just crazy dissonance and intensity.  too much for many I would expect.

the avant garde black metal band "Anubi" are very interesting as well....very "on the fringe" and unique.
(De)progressive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2010 at 09:28
I recommend all of Ihsahn's projects and Arcturus.
''Hope is the first step on the road to dissapointment.'' (Friedrich Nietzsche)

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2010 at 06:01
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I've been a Dan Swanö fanatic lately (as many of you may know), and I was just wondering if he has any other fans in this thread. I've been really enjoying Edge of Sanity albums lately (especially Crimson, Crimson II, The Spectral Sorrows, and Purgatory Afterglow).

-Jeff
Sort of, I only have Crimson and Nightingales The Closing Chronicles (thanks for the rec on that!).

Very good stuff but as you can tell I've only just started discovering his stuff.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2010 at 18:50
Dordeduh, the Negura Bunget spin-off project, have appeared in their first live show and they sound really awersome. Here's what I could find on YouTube:

- a great version of a Negura Bunget piece:

- and a big chunck of the concert, filmed by the organizers:

I'm currently listening to the first video from the organizers, and it sounds awesome. Can't wait for them to release the album.
Dominic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2010 at 23:16
^ Holy Crap Shocked  All that was amazing. I really dug the Negura Bunget drummer, (my goodness... especially compared to most black metal percussionists) but this new guy is super creative as well. It seems that i'll finally be able to get excited about a new "Black Metal" album that's not being released by Drudkh. 

EDIT: Wait.... two percussionist, nice! Also, i just read in an interview up on their myspace account that one of them is "Sergio Ponti" of Ephel Duath Clap  (well, one of Ephel Duaths ever changing line up) 

Edited by Dominic - April 15 2010 at 23:31
sullenface View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 15:34
haven't read whole topic, so don't know whether this was discussed: what are the criteria black metal bands added to PA? There are enough among tech/extremal and post metal/experimental categories, and sometimes I don't understand why some of them are added and why similar to them or enother interesting groups were not. I speak, for example, about "wolwes in the throne room", even "darkspace" is presented here, and from another side, also for example, "sear bliss" (to be honest one of my favorite black metal bands).
guess it's from endless argument "what does the term "prog" mean?", interesting, amazing, innovative, sophisticated or something else.
please, give your opinion about this question, and what do you think about sear bliss' addition?
finally, recently I thought about Dimmu Borgir and progressive. Several years ago my answer would be this definition doesn't fit, but now I could conclude they are quite progressive, not because they are similar to typical "progressive metal bands sound" (of course they are not) but because of extended conception of progressiveness. What do you think?
p.s. very glad that metalarchives.com were started, great sourse with high potential. i wish fast content filling to it,  unfortunately I cannot participate cause of my bad english)
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2010 at 15:42
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

-Jeff
Sort of, I only have Crimson and Nightingales The Closing Chronicles (thanks for the rec on that!).

Very good stuff but as you can tell I've only just started discovering his stuff.

What do you think of those two?

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2010 at 18:01
so the latest thing I have been enjoying (and I think they should be included in the extreme category on here) is the latest Hunab Ku ep... The Rewiring Process...

because I am feeling lazy, I will post someone else's review to give you an inkling of what to expect:

I have not heard their older, full-length album, but I bet it is entertaining as well.  Seriously, if you like Mr. Bungle, DEP, Meshuggah, animals as leaders, and any other shred band with ambient interludes and a good Mike Patton-influenced singer- with effects, samples, and helter-skelter insanity added to the mix, this is for you.

I also enjoyed the first two The Crinn eps.... but the latest full length "dreaming Saturn" is quite a step back in the insanity factor, and I mean these guys made (on the eps) Brain Drill seem tame.

also, in case I have not already stated as much, the new Abigor ep- Time Is The Sulphur In The Veins Of The Saint- is one of the best avant metal releases of the year.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2010 at 19:34
also, the new Son Of Aurelius disc is not bad either....
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 05:47

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

-Jeff

What do you think of those two?
Two excellent albums and I'll definitely be chasing up more of his work (Pan.Thy.Monium is probably next on my list).

Also agree with you about The Closing Chronicles, definitely not a metal album, much closer to neo prog.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7071727374 76>