Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Tech/Extreme Prog metal appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 76>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 01:13
listening to Voivod for the first time
guitar is interesting enough but the production kinda sucks and the vocals are flat (depth, not pitch)

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 01:46
^Could that be because it's one of the older albums you're listening to?
A lot of thrash bands had pretty flat production back in thrash metal's heyday.
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 02:05
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Check these guys out,an instrumental band called Super String Theory.

Other good instrumental bands I love:

Collapsar
Continuo Renacer
Behold...the Arctopus
Dysrhythmia
Altera Enigma
Electro Quarterstaff
Sleep Terror
Blotted Science
Indricothere
Octopus

All these bands are in the archives and all have streaming samples on their band pages.

I have all the Cavas Solaris Big%20smile  Did start with Cortical Tectonics.
Have both Collapsar "s/t" and "Integers"
Only have "Skullgrid" by Behold...the Arctopus
Have "Barriers and Passages" and "Pretest" by Dysrhythmia
"Gretzky" by Electro Quarterstaff
Sent 12 bucks to the eMail to Sleep Terror, so hopefully I'll get that cd soon.
Love the Blotted Science cd.

And I still can't find a copy of Continuo Renacer. Angry

Spent some time Indricothere, but haven't picked it up yet. 

So, now I'm off to see about an Altera Enigma Octopus with Super String Theory.

Edited by Plankowner - July 07 2008 at 02:26
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 02:13
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

^Could that be because it's one of the older albums you're listening to?
A lot of thrash bands had pretty flat production back in thrash metal's heyday.

It's amazing to me Voi Vod has survived as long as they have.  One of those bands I used to listen to in my car by myself cause none of my friends liked them.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 03:04
Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

guitar is interesting enough but the production kinda sucks and the vocals are flat (depth, not pitch)

true...  great band though

mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 03:20

Originally posted by mithrandir mithrandir wrote:

Originally posted by avalanchemaster avalanchemaster wrote:

Gorguts (brilliance, no matter how you slice it)

I just noticed they don't have Obscura listed in the archives, man what an utter failure Thumbs%20Down

That was absolutely uncalled for and extremely rude.It's people like you that makes me wonder why I bother dedicating a lot of my free time for over 4 years doing what I do here on the Progressive Metal Team.

We considered Gorguts when the PMT were first formed but rejected them because I personally didn't want to add a band on the basis of one proggy album in their discography.

make that 2 albums,

and what about bands like Death, Enslaved, Dodheimsgard, Voivod? not exactly all Progressive albums either,

to be honest I don't really care much which albums/bands you decide to include, but an album like "Obscura" is held in high regard and considered somewhat of a cornerstone album of Progressive/Experimental Death Metal, its about as close to a Trout Mask Replica that Death Metal has ever come,

coming from the opposite side of the fence - is seems kind of silly (almost naive) to leave it out, but its not that big of a deal, not sure why you'd get so hurt over my inane comment though if you feel your doing a good job, then all the power to you!
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 03:27
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

true...  great band though

Is the truthBig%20smile
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 15:10

Gorguts (brilliance, no matter how you slice it)

I just noticed they don't have Obscura listed in the archives, man what an utter failure Thumbs%20Down

That was absolutely uncalled for and extremely rude.It's people like you that makes me wonder why I bother dedicating a lot of my free time for over 4 years doing what I do here on the Progressive Metal Team.

We considered Gorguts when the PMT were first formed but rejected them because I personally didn't want to add a band on the basis of one proggy album in their discography.

make that 2 albums,

and what about bands like Death, Enslaved, Dodheimsgard, Voivod? not exactly all Progressive albums either,

to be honest I don't really care much which albums/bands you decide to include, but an album like "Obscura" is held in high regard and considered somewhat of a cornerstone album of Progressive/Experimental Death Metal, its about as close to a Trout Mask Replica that Death Metal has ever come,

coming from the opposite side of the fence - is seems kind of silly (almost naive) to leave it out, but its not that big of a deal, not sure why you'd get so hurt over my inane comment though if you feel your doing a good job, then all the power to you!

Well... instead of saying "I don't agree" or something you choose to say "what an utter failure" and to give us the thumbs down... So what have YOU contributed to this site? You haven't written any reviews, you haven't suggested any bands formally (as things are done in the real world)....

Why don't you create a thread for this band, supply links, if possible to samples so that people that don't have that music can listen to it, and if approved, would you devote 30 minutes of your time to write the biography and add the albums?

Instead of complaining, and giving PA the "thumbs down", why don't you try to help?

Edited by The T - July 07 2008 at 15:12
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 15:40
so I guess in order to have an opinion here you MUST also be a contributer?  F that, Im just here to talk some tunes and movies with you folks, ban me if you all can't take a few words of criticism, because if its a requisite to be an Archives Contributer before you can post then you might as well ax over half the board, I appreciate the fact that this is a free forum provided to the public by the kind folks who run the ProgArchives but seriously folks you need to grow some thicker skin, 
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2008 at 23:21
You can voice your disagreement in more, say, corteous ways, you know. That's all. When you say "utter failure" and give us the thumbs down, all mone can say is "what have you done"... Now if you had say "it's sad X band is not here" or "X band not being here is an error that has to be corrected", nobody would've taken any offense.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 10:08

so I guess in order to have an opinion here you MUST also be a contributer?  F that, Im just here to talk some tunes and movies with you folks, ban me if you all can't take a few words of criticism, because if its a requisite to be an Archives Contributer before you can post then you might as well ax over half the board, I appreciate the fact that this is a free forum provided to the public by the kind folks who run the ProgArchives but seriously folks you need to grow some thicker skin, 

If I may interrupt here for a short post:

Are we not entitled to respond to an accusation like this? I think we are, and here is mine.

We the collaborators here put in a lot of time and effort into adding bands, which means, writing bio's, adding the whole discography (and M@X the owner insists on that, whether all of it is prog or not), and we also write reviews and promote bands in the form of interviews, features/threads etc and discuss those things in threads/sections that are not accessible to the whole forum.

By having a comment like "utter failure", we feel like all our work goes to the drains and not respected/appreciated. If not for all our work, there would be no PA database, no bands to appreciate here (you could that in some other place, sure but you're here now thanks to that work).

So an utter failure would be quite an extreme word to use; we do the best with the limits of the site's structure and rules (which are not set by us, but from above us) and if we miss bands, we rely on our fine members to suggest them and not shove our so-called failure in our face.

As for Gorguts, it's on the PMT voting chart and Jody explained the team's opinion, which may be wrong in your opinion, but no one denies you the opportunity to discuss Gorguts in the forum. Sure, it is not as good as having them in PA database but one can always make a thread or send a PM to that PMT asking for their inclusion and explaining shortly why it is such a failure.

I happen to agree that Obscura itself should be in PA's Extreme/Tech prog metal; (I know the other albums as well and I think they're not prog metal material) but there's a way to do things and one will not get them with that kind of approach.

Cheers

Assaf

Smile

avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 14:17
would it be possible to include a band and that *one* album that is considered progressive, leaving the other material they produced for the listener to consider otherwise?

I know Mithrandir did not mean anything personal by his comment, it was off-the-cuff and really should be taken with a grain of salt,

all things aside, great job on this resource, I love it and use it frequently, I just think maybe some albums should be reconsidered???????
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 14:24

all things aside, great job on this resource, I love it and use it frequently, I just think maybe some albums should be reconsidered???????

Definitely; the PMT have reconsidered bands before and added those after initially being voted no.
Anyway, I'll leave it to the fabulous 3, Jody, Mike and Teo to discuss this and I'll go back to reading and thread and occasionally posting something regarding to music alone and not PA work.

Anyone heard the latest Thanatoschizo - Zoom Code?

avalanchemaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 14:42
I have been meaning to hear that Thanatoschizo......
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 14:43

I know Mithrandir did not mean anything personal by his comment, it was off-the-cuff and really should be taken with a grain of salt,

yeah, as you know Im used to forums where we nudge and snipe at eachother in the most absurd/extreme(and sometimes humorus) fashion and at the end of the day everyone pretty much gets along, actually when I first signed on here about 2 years ago I got "warned" that I was too brash in my attitude, hehe....okay, but I only started frequenting here again when I saw that this forum had become more active  with an assortment of music topics, in addition to the regular Prog topics,

anyhow you can just replaced harsher word of "failure" with the safer "misstep"...which I still think it is, but honestly it doesn't matter all that much to me, the funny thing is I don't even like Gorguts that much, and Obscura wouldn't even clock in one of my top 1000 albums of all time!....hell, I didn't even like their first 2 albums when they came out, but at least I recognize the uniqueness and significance of Obscura---and find it astonishing why at least that album wasn't included yet a band like Wolves in the Throne Room is, (which is a whole new argument all together), ....but as I pointed out I have nothing invested here as so many of you do, I have no pull only a small voice, that is all

Edited by mithrandir - July 08 2008 at 14:46
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 14:48

I have been meaning to hear that Thanatoschizo......

Their last two before that are also worth a listen (and more).

I've only heard Zoom Code once, and it was pretty good, better production than previous recordings and continuing in their line, progressing a bit.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 16:24
Mithrandir, I really like you here, and although you dont "contribute" to the site in a more conventional way, I like the discussion you make on the forums, and another extreme metalhead here, means more bands getting noticed, whether you're aware of this or not. Lets just think before we act out, you never know how personally someone may take some things.

With that being said, I have been swimming in of metal, the kind of metal like my coffee, BLACK. I must admit, I'm only scratching the surface, but most of the bands I've been listening to are excellent.

Ulver (firs couple of albums)
Wolves in the Throne room
Negura Bunget
Enslaved
Emperor
Isahn
Alcest (the most tame BM you'll ever find)
To name a few...

Isahn has become a big favorite of mine, even though his vocals are ridiculusly raspy, he manages to create dark, progressive black metal, and even has guest singers from all corners of the metal spectrum come in on his album (garm from Ulver, and Mickael Ackerfeldt). My favorite BM band is still WitTR, soooo goood, their backround is a little creepy though.

While all the albums are really good (Negura Bungets OM being the best), a lot do get a little obnoxious, and dont ever tend to mellow down. Besides Alcest of course. Can any of you recomend me any black metal bands in the vein of Alcest, with mellower, almost post rockier atmospheres?
tokenrove View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 16:40
I don't tend to like my black metal mellow, but two bands you might want to check out are Deathspell Omega and Nachtmystium. Start with the most recent two albums of both, if you don't know them. I have also heard good things about Velvet Cacoon; I haven't heard much myself, but it might be something to your taste as well.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 17:07
Originally posted by tokenrove tokenrove wrote:

I don't tend to like my black metal mellow, but two bands you might want to check out are Deathspell Omega and Nachtmystium. Start with the most recent two albums of both, if you don't know them. I have also heard good things about Velvet Cacoon; I haven't heard much myself, but it might be something to your taste as well.

Thanks, I've been recomeded Deathspell Omega a couple of times, I'll be sure to jump on getting some albums as soon as I can.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2008 at 20:17
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

Alcest (the most tame BM you'll ever find)

I'd barely even call em BM, more of a shoegaze/darkwave project with Lycia most likely being his #1 influence, also seems to draw a bit of influence from the very first Ulver album, Im sure you're aware of Neige's main band Peste Noire right? nothing Progressive in the least just well played BM from top to bottom,

I've enjoyed and explored a LOT of music in my day, but if I had to choose I'd say BM is probably the genre I have the most affinity for, starting with Venom, Bathory etc to present day....although I don't pay attention to as many BM bands that come out nowadays, just a few select bands that still manage to grab my attention,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 76>