Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJan Akkerman vs everyone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jan Akkerman vs everyone
    Posted: October 26 2007 at 16:47
Jan Akkerman has to be my one of my favourite musicians of all time. I guess I should have called this The Jan Akkerman appreciation thread but I didn`t. Unbeknownst to many he has guested on literally dozens of albums and played with numerous musicians from BB King to Paco DeLucia. He`s put out a few duds (  example : Jan Akkerman 3 Dead ) but his versatility and diversity goes unmatched by any guitarist. Let`s hear it for The Dutch Master Clap !!!!
King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 16:51
Akkerman has made some catchy stuff. Focus was sic.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 18:21
You'll get no argument from me.  Jan Akkerman is as good as any guitarist in rock, any.
sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2007 at 20:54
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

You'll get no argument from me.  Jan Akkerman is as good as any guitarist in rock, any.

BLASPHEMY!! Ouch
The best you can is good enough...
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 03:42
Originally posted by sircosick sircosick wrote:

BLASPHEMY!! Ouch

Why is it blasphemy? He is unfeasibly talented. As fast as (if not faster than when he chooses to be) the speed merchants like Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, S**tbag (Sorry, Dimebag) Darrell et al, he has technique in spades and the ability to produce interesting solos that actually sound good.

No, he's up there with the very best!
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 11:40
The Dutch Master can play anything. Blasphemy????
Does anyone know where I can get an English version ( subtitled ) version of the Dutch television special from earlier this year. I watched the whole thing but couldn`t understand it.
sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 13:49
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by sircosick sircosick wrote:

BLASPHEMY!! Ouch

Why is it blasphemy? He is unfeasibly talented. As fast as (if not faster than when he chooses to be) the speed merchants like Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, S**tbag (Sorry, Dimebag) Darrell et al, he has technique in spades and the ability to produce interesting solos that actually sound good.

No, he's up there with the very best!

Then, there was a semantic issue by me Embarrassed.... surely I misunderstood the statement posted by Dwill. I though he was meant to put Akkerman as part of the bunch of the average rock guitar player (as good as any), when he's IMO in the first league. That's it Tongue
The best you can is good enough...
cynthiasmallet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 14:11
Akkerman is easily as good as McLaughlin, Zappa and Geoff Beck, and anyone who says otherwise clearly hasn't listened to his music enough.
Would you like to watch TV, or get between the sheets, or contemplate the silent freeway, would you like something to eat?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 14:11
Forgiven.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 14:16
Stop it!  You're making me hungry to go listen or watch some Akkerman!  I gotta DVD for crying out loud!
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 14:18
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Jan Akkerman has to be my one of my favourite musicians of all time. I guess I should have called this The Jan Akkerman appreciation thread but I didn`t. Unbeknownst to many he has guested on literally dozens of albums and played with numerous musicians from BB King to Paco DeLucia. He`s put out a few duds (  example : Jan Akkerman 3 Dead ) but his versatility and diversity goes unmatched by any guitarist. Let`s hear it for The Dutch Master Clap !!!!

What I really want to know is.......what do you really think of Oil In The Family?

Not bad for disco Akkerman.  In fact if I were strapped down and forced to listen to disco and had a choice...

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 27 2007 at 14:21
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 14:26

The Dutch Master can play anything. Blasphemy????
Does anyone know where I can get an English version ( subtitled ) version of the Dutch television special from earlier this year. I watched the whole thing but couldn`t understand it.

No sorry, but I can tell you something about what I saw.  It was a very good tv special. It showed how unique Jan Akkerman was, and I was surprised that he was still so progressive, doing collaborations with people you wouldn't expect, contributing unusual musical ideas which show that he still has the progressive attitude.

The special also showed some great archives material, with Brainbox and Focus, and during his solo career. You could see him at work in his own studio.

There was a tv series, some 10 years ago, called " Special albums", which had specials about famous Dutch albums like Royal Bed Bouncer by Kayak, and Focus II (a.k.a. Moving Waves) by Focus. I taped the Kayak special, but sometimes I wished I taped the Focus special as well.

The Akkerman special did show something of that early material, e.g.  from the castle where Focus was developing the music for Moving Waves, and except for the musical side of Akkerman, it also showed his stubbornness, which is good for progressive music, but is sometimes difficult for the people he worked with LOL . Like the famous (infamous?) tv show from 1974 where he was about to pick up his Edison (Dutch music award), and left the studio early, before he had to come on out to pick up his award, because he thought someone in the studio orchestra cracked a joke at his expense. Or the time when some of his band members (from a solo tour) made some remarks about his driving abilities, and the next morning at their breakfast found out that Jan had already gone to the next gig, without them, and had left a note, saying that Jan had already left because the band members surely wouldn't be in a car which he drove LOL

And about his difficult relationship with Thijs van Leer. Jan wanted to make something clear. He still is very proud of his work with Focus (journalists usually are afraid to ask Jan about Focus, because they're afraid he gets angry): he still has very good memories about the music, but on a personal level he couldn't relate to Thijs van Leer anymore. The musical relationship was strained. Too bad Disapprove

Akkerman is one of the best guitar players that I know. For me he's in the same league as Steve Howe and Steve Hackett.

Edited by Moogtron III - October 27 2007 at 14:29
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 14:28
JON AKKURMIN ER WATVR WOOD DEF LUUZ B/C JOHN PETRUCCI IS PART OF "EVRY1 ELSE" I TINK SO HE WOOD LOOZE.

er...that is to say...

Yes. Yes indeed.

*running for cover*

Edited by Shakespeare - October 27 2007 at 14:30
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 14:30
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

JON AKKURMIN ER WATVR WOOD DEF LUUZ B/C JOHN PETRUCCI IS PART OF "EVRY1 ELSE" I TINK SO HE WOOD LOOZE.

er...that is to say...

Yes. Yes indeed.

What the hell is that some kind of preverted text messaging?LOL

Dr. Occulator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 17:52
Yeah, he's OK.
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.
Samurai3 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 22:39
Jan is indeed a badass
You Must Die
Before You Die
So That When You Die
You Will Not Die
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 10:29
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

What I really want to know is.......what do you really think of Oil In The Family?

Not bad for disco Akkerman.  In fact if I were strapped down and forced to listen to disco and had a choice...
I reviewed it here check it out. That should explain what i think of Oil In The Family. The only Akkerman album I would recommend for skeet shooting would be the atrocious Jan Akkerman 3.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 10:42
Originally posted by Samurai3 Samurai3 wrote:

Jan is indeed a badass
Jan is THE badass.

My top 5 Akkerman albums :

1. Tabernakel
2. From The Basement
3. 10,000 Clowns On A Rainy Day
4. Aranjuez
5. Pleasure Point

Anybody ever heard him with Forcefield II ? It was a studio band that never toured but check out the lineup :

Tony Martin, vocals ( later recorded with Black Sabbath )
Ray Fenwick, guitar
Jan Akkerman, guitar
Cozy Powell, drums
Neil Murray, bass ( Whitesnake )

The first one, To Oz and Back is mediocre but  The Talisman really smokes. They do a great Deep Purple medley of Black Knight / Strange Kind Of Woman. I don`t think it is currently available but the Talisman is definitely worth checking out if you can find it.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - October 29 2007 at 10:44
Agemo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 12:21
Akkerman is certainly one of the best guitarists ever !! I would also like to mention the album he recorded with Brainbox. It features some excellent heavy, bluesy, proggy, psychedelic, folky material.
Dona Nobis Pacem
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 12:23
I've only heard Hamburger Concerto, which was good, but nothing spectacular to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>