Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPanzerpappa from Norway

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Panzerpappa from Norway
    Posted: October 27 2007 at 12:35
PANZERPAPPA are a band that has quickly risen to be one of my favourites.
They are a taelented bunch of musicians, which like many others, work for a living alongside their music making. I personally hope and think that given their last two albums, this band should have such a success as to allow them to be full-time musicians (should they choose to).
I'll mention in particular their last album Koralrevens Klagesang which to me is a splendid melange of avant-rock, zeuhl, Canterbury (there's even a song with David Sinclaire singing, fantastic song) and prtrays a joy of life in the tune it carries. This band is not too far from the humourous, fun side of avant-prog represented by what I call the Samla Mammas Manna "school".

Here's their bio in PA:
 PANZERPAPPA is an avant-prog band instrumental band from Norway, similar to UNIVERS ZERO or SAMLA MAMMAS MANNA. They recorded their first album, "Passer Gullfisk" with Knut Tore Abrahamsen on electric guitars; Steinar Børve on saxophones, keyboards; Trond Gjellum on drumkit, acoustic and electric percussion, balaphone, glockenspiel, sampler, trondofon, melodica; and Jørgen Skjulstad on electric bassguitar, additional guitars and piano, melodica, glockenspiel. The lineup changed a bit for their followup release, "Hulemysteriet" where Endre Begby took over on electric guitars. For their third album, "Farlig Vandring" the lineup changed again, but still retains Steinar Børve and Trond Gjellum but Anders Krabberød on electric five string bassguitar, electric 4 string fretless bassguitar, Chapman Stick, additional keyboards; and Jarle Storløkken on electric and acoustic guitars, keyboards, accordion replaced Jørgen Skjulstad and Endre Begby, respectively.

"Passer Gullfisk" is a great debut. While it's difficult to get into at first, the songs are very energetic, complex, fun and beautiful. "Hulemysteriet" is a fantastic followup release, with the songs finding even more direction and intensity, without giving up on the fun. "Farlig Vandring" shows the band at their finest, a great mix of obtuse complexity and fun accessibility.

: : : Moses Talbot, USA : : :

For a full bio go to their website, where you can also read about the individual members.  

Links
Official website: http://www.panzerpappa.com/
Myspace http://www.myspace.com/panzerpappa

Here is a live show review by Bj-1 - Review: Panzerpappa Live 16/02/07

Here is an interview I did with them for PA - The Panzerpappa Special - Interview & more

Highly recommended and not just for avant-heads as this music is accessible, not in the likes of avant-prog that some people think about; it's enjoyable, fun, melodic, rhythmic, complex, entertaining.

They opened for Magma last September in Oslo.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 12:41
Didn't Richard Sinclair collaborate with them too? I remember reading that on some website.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 13:06
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Didn't Richard Sinclair collaborate with them too? I remember reading that on some website.

Yes, I wrote that in the opening post, he sang with them in the last album, in the song called Vintervake. Great song.

Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2007 at 23:00
Wonderful band! Seen'em live two times and they're one of the best Norwegian bands I know of at the moment. The guys in the band are really nice people as well, and they really liked my concert review actually. Jarle (the guitarist) told me that they mayble will have another concert already before christmas as well. Their music is fairly complex, but very melodic and accessible. Their whole discography is warmly recommended by me!
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 09:35
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Yes, I wrote that in the opening post, he sang with them in the last album, in the song called Vintervake. Great song.

Yes, I did see that after I had postedEmbarrassed... I also heard a snippet of "Vintervake" on MySpace, and Richard's voice sounds as heavenly as ever!Clap
magnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 09:55
I would have seen them open for Magma a month ago if I had someone to go there with.(my friends are quite sceptical to most the music I listen to, so there was no way they'd come with me) :(
The scattered jigsaw of my redemption laid out before my eyes
Each piece as amorphous as the other - Each piece in its lack of shape a lie
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 11:54
I want to see them sometime.
If they come anywhere near me, that is!
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 12:12
Great band! Very accessible and highly recommended for newcomers of the genre since they aren't very "crazy" like many people may think Avant-prog is.

Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 13:15
Originally posted by magnus magnus wrote:

I would have seen them open for Magma a month ago if I had someone to go there with.(my friends are quite sceptical to most the music I listen to, so there was no way they'd come with me) :(

Then you missed something really great. That Magma concert was one of the best I've ever seen and Panzerpappa where brilliant openersBig%20smile
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
 Post Reply Post Reply