Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCanvas Solaris

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canvas Solaris
    Posted: October 28 2007 at 11:25
This is a band I'd always heard mentioned in reverent terms as one of the best purveyors of highly complex, technical prog-metal.  Yesterday evening I decided to take a listen to the MP3 on their entry page here, "Gamma Knife".... and I was floored. Definitely not easy listening, but then I am a major King Crimson fan, and complex instrumental music appeals to me quite a lot.

So, I'd like to ask PM experts everywhere about what album I should get in order to become better acquainted with the group. I don't know how easy to find their material may be, so I'd appreciate some guidance before parting with my hard-earned Euros.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 11:26
Raff  asked me to take a listen... that was a great song... I'll second that. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 11:27
http://www.emusic.com/album/Canvas-Solaris-Sublimation-MP3-Download/10875561.html

You can listen to the samples on that page - you can also download the whole album there for a cheap subscription (less than 50 cents per song).Smile
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 11:28
I'd say go for Penumbra Diffuse (and as a second choice, their last one Cortical Tectonics).

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 11:30
^ I really like Sublimation too ... it's more quirky and less polished than their newer albums, and since you can download it from eMusic for about $2 ... Big%20smile
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 11:30
just subsribed to Napster the other night.. I'll see if I can find it there as well
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 11:34
^ here's a list of albums available on Napster to get you started: http://ratingfreak.com/home/charts.xhtml?chart.source=napster

Welcome to the world of 5 million track collections!Big%20smile
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 11:36
If you buy anything from Wayside music, they're on the sampler.

I found it very cold and unnecessarily complex, but at the same time sort of addictive...not my type of music, but well-arranged.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 11:37
Thank you, Mike and Assaf!Clap I'll definitely take out a subscription to Napster as well. It seems it's really worth it.

As we're in the subject, what other instrumental bands in a similar vein would you recommend to me? I've heard something by Spastic Ink that I really dug, but as I said before, I'd like to have the experts' opinion too.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 11:37
I don't know why I waited so long to suscribe Mike.... mainly for the newer stuff, especially PM .. the stuff I really love I have to own hard copies of anyway.  This is nice way to  explore... legally.. and easily
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 11:41
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Thank you, Mike and Assaf!Clap I'll definitely take out a subscription to Napster as well. It seems it's really worth it.

As we're in the subject, what other instrumental bands in a similar vein would you recommend to me? I've heard something by Spastic Ink that I really dug, but as I said before, I'd like to have the experts' opinion too.

Well, Blotted Science is a must (a Ron Jarzombek project), as well as Art Metal (Jonas Hellborg and Mattias Eklundh), both had new albums out last month:

http://www.myspace.com/blottedscience

http://www.myspace.com/artmetalband

AFAIK these two albums aren't available on Napster yet, but the Napster catalog differs from Europe/Germany to US, so I can't really tell.
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 11:55

Blotted Science
Collapsar
Anomaly
Continuo Renacer
Electro Quarterstaff

(I have added samples to all here at PA with the exception of Anomaly)

I would recommend Behold..the Arctopus,Sleep Terror and Dysrhythmia,but they might be a little too extreme for your tastes.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 11:59
Another classic:

Electrocution 250

Also very interesting:

Panzerballett

Big%20smile

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - October 28 2007 at 11:59
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 12:06
My most recommended would be Blotted Science, Spastic Ink, Dsyrythmia (sp?) and Continuo Renacer.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 12:10
as usual more music to explore..than time to explore it LOL

Edited by micky - October 28 2007 at 12:10
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 12:45

This is a band I'd always heard mentioned in reverent terms as one of the best purveyors of highly complex, technical prog-metal.  Yesterday evening I decided to take a listen to the MP3 on their entry page here, "Gamma Knife".... and I was floored. Definitely not easy listening, but then I am a major King Crimson fan, and complex instrumental music appeals to me quite a lot.

So, I'd like to ask PM experts everywhere about what album I should get in order to become better acquainted with the group. I don't know how easy to find their material may be, so I'd appreciate some guidance before parting with my hard-earned Euros.

My recommendation is that you get started with any of their last 2 efforts: "Penumbra Diffuse" or "Cortical Tectonics". Both combine your typical demandingly complex prog metal with Crimson-oriented prog and weird fusion (a-la Gordian Knot), plus some cosmic-spacey adornments.

Kid regards.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 12:50
I'm listening to the tracks on their MySpace page now... I'm more and more impressed, though I can understand they may not be everyone's cup of tea.

I did listen to the MP3 by Behold.. The Arctopus we have here on the site. Indeed, they are not exactly an easy, relaxing listenLOL, but I want to give them a try at the very least. I do have to admit, though, that I do prefer a bit of melody with my music - Meshuggah really did scare the heck out of me!Wink
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2007 at 12:58

I'm listening to the tracks on their MySpace page now... I'm more and more impressed, though I can understand they may not be everyone's cup of tea.

I did listen to the MP3 by Behold.. The Arctopus we have here on the site. Indeed, they are not exactly an easy, relaxing listenLOL, but I want to give them a try at the very least. I do have to admit, though, that I do prefer a bit of melody with my music - Meshuggah really did scare the heck out of me!Wink

no wonder I like them LOL

Canvas Solaris: General Info
Member Since2/2/2006
Band Websitemyspace.com/canvassolaris
InfluencesVoivod, Cynic, Don Caballero, Watchtower/Spastic Ink, Shakti, Rush, Anacrusis, Univers Zero, Behold...The Arctopus, Obliveon's 'Nemesis,' Dysrhythmia, Breadwinner, Mind Over Four, Disharmonic Orchestra, Death, Martyr, The Mars Volta, Gordian Knot, Labradford, Carcass, King Crimson, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Houde-era Kataklysm, Enslaved, Anglagaard, Kraftwerk,Confessor, Steve Reich, early Atrocity, Loudblast, Psychotic Waltz, OLD, Present, Karaboudjan, Gorguts, Dead Can Dance, Atheist, Goblin, Nocturnus, Bark Psychosis,Popul Vuh, Mr. Bungle, Carcass, The Deserts of Traun, early Alchemist, Il Balleto Di Bronzo, Koenjihyakkei, and a thousand others.

LOLClap
Casartelli View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 09:19
I was quite enthusiastic about Penumbra Diffuse last year, but knowing the more mature Cortical Tectonics now, the former comes across a bit unfocused to me. Hence the latter gets my recommendation.
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2007 at 12:09
Originally posted by Casartelli Casartelli wrote:

I was quite enthusiastic about Penumbra Diffuse last year, but knowing the more mature Cortical Tectonics now, the former comes across a bit unfocused to me. Hence the latter gets my recommendation.

Pretty sure I agree there, but why not check them all out?
 Post Reply Post Reply