Topic Closed'More Prog'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'More Prog'
    Posted: October 31 2007 at 08:24
I suppose every member of this forum has come across such an expression when browsing through the various threads. Especially the Suggest New Bands/Artist section seems to be full of posts where someone claims band X belong in PA because "they are 100 times more prog than band Y/many of the bands (albums) included here/etc.etc."

Now, I have to admit such an expression bugs the hell out of me. Is there an objective way in which we can measure the 'prog quotient' of a band or artist in relation to others? Or does it all boil down to our own idea of what prog should be like?

Let's face it: if prog means sounding like the big Seventies bands, half of the entries in our database should be deleted. If prog is just an abbreviation of progressive, said database should be much more inclusive. Though PA is founded on the concept of prog, no one seems to agree on what it really means. So, is there any point in trying to quantify such a concept in order to either push some act we like, or put down some other act we dislike?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 08:27

It's a subjective thing. Whilst being obvious in some cases (e.g. Yes are definitely more prog than Steps) it is less obvious in most cases and depends what you define as "prog" in the first place.

Didn't someone invent the prog-o-meter to measure this sort of thing?

Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 08:32
This thread is not proggy enough. :P Yeah I agree. Prog means prog, for me, not 1969-1976.

Edited by Deathrabbit - October 31 2007 at 08:32
Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 08:34
"if prog means sounding like the big Seventies bands, half of the entries in our database should be deleted."

I find myself generally falling into this category, but then I'm old.
Casartelli View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 08:55
Hasn't a thread exactly like this been opened several times before?

However, one thing I'd like to express: this debate is exactly why I like the existence of the Proto-Prog and the Prog Related category. Some prog borderline cases are in an appropriate prog category in our beloved archives and some are, sometimes less and sometimes more appropriate in the PP and PR categories. You might debate their particular placement, but more important than the exact category they're in, is the fact that they are in here. Every individual user can discuss the boundary cases the way he/she likes.

You still have discussions if a certain band might enter the PP/PR categories or has nothing even remotely to do with prog at all. But those discussions are a lot less relevant on a site where full-fledged prog music is the core business.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 08:58
Originally posted by Trademark Trademark wrote:

"if prog means sounding like the big Seventies bands, half of the entries in our database should be deleted."

So am I... my year of birth is in my profile, since I must be the only woman alive who's never hidden her age!LOL

And yes, perhaps this thread has already surfaced, though probably with a different title. The concept of something being 'more prog' than something else is one of my pet peeves, and it's highly likely that I have vented my frustration on former occasions, even if under a slightly different title.
jmcdaniel_ee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 08:58
I've often wondered the same thing.  I know what standards I would use, but how do you apply that in an objective way?  Even group consensus doesn't make something 100% objective. 

Maybe it could be analogous to a sphere (or prog-planet Geek), where there are certain genres that makes up the core* of prog (symphonic, neo-progressive, RIO/Avant), then you have certain genres slightly outside of the core that have been influenced by particular styles but still considered fully progressive (prog folk, prog electronic, jazz/fusion, etc).  On the outskirts (the outer atmosphere Geek) are the prog-related, some art rock, proto-prog and crossover prog.  Probably the prog related would be the gateway category for groups that may or may not be fully progressive.

* it could be argued that these "core" genres I mentioned are also influenced by a particular style (classical music [baroque, classical, romantic, modern]).  Oh man, this is getting complicated.

Edited by jmcdaniel_ee - October 31 2007 at 09:04
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 09:45
It's just like the old saying. Listen to what you like. If two bands sound similar...theres still a good chance you will not like them the same, or the other at all. Just a matter of searching and chance.
paloz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 09:59
I think most of the times we define "prog" the things that come nearer than others to our taste. I don't know when a band is "progger" than another, I only know that, if I like an album, I don't care if it is prog or not. It must be captivant.
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 10:45
Probably the best starting point for such a kind of thread is the definition of prog on this site:

So, what's wrong with this definition? Do you think it could be improved?
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 10:47
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

I suppose every member of this forum has come across such an expression when browsing through the various threads. Especially the Suggest New Bands/Artist section seems to be full of posts where someone claims band X belong in PA because "they are 100 times more prog than band Y/many of the bands (albums) included here/etc.etc."

Now, I have to admit such an expression bugs the hell out of me. Is there an objective way in which we can measure the 'prog quotient' of a band or artist in relation to others? Or does it all boil down to our own idea of what prog should be like?

I don't think that the progressiveness of a piece of music can be quantified. But few people are trying to do so ... when somebody says "100 times more prog than" then it simply means "much more prog than". On my website there are 6 steps of progressiveness, ranging from "not prog at all" over "quite progressive" to "extremely progressive". I think that's a good compromise.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 12:05
Originally posted by andrea andrea wrote:

Probably the best starting point for such a kind of thread is the definition of prog on this site:

So, what's wrong with this definition? Do you think it could be improved?

Actually, I totally disagree with this idea.   Sure, for us to have a consensus on what is prog a definition is a vital and necessary base from which to work.   But that's not how we actually recognize prog.   We recognize prog by the sound.  Of course that leads us into territory where classifying new or unfamiliar music would become a tedious chore of comparing the work of each new band with a recognized body of music and passing judgement on how well they fit the established standard, with all of the differences of opinion between individuals that that entails.

But that is what we do anyway, both through the teams that approve bands for PA and as individual listeners.

I know that my own personal list of genres is very different from the ones that this site uses.   They look something like this.

REAL prog:  Mostly symphonic with some crossover prog.
Italian prog:  The same as  PA but less inclusive.
Fusion prog:  Jazz fusion and avant garde
Experimental prog:   Eclectic and Zeuhl and a little Krautrock
Hard prog wannabes:  Heavy prog, prog metal and Psych/spacerock

Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 12:49
I agree- it's a stupid argument. I do it sometimes, but then again, I think we all do to some degree. That's why I like that we have a board that decides if a particular artist is included or not. But just because someone thinks "x" is more prog than "y' is dumb. Maybe "x" really shouldn't be there in the first place.
magnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 13:30
I guess one could claim that "The Cinema Show" is more prog than "More Fool Me", just to make an example.

But it's difficult to really interpret much from such a term when there is far from a consensus on what the word "prog" means.
The scattered jigsaw of my redemption laid out before my eyes
Each piece as amorphous as the other - Each piece in its lack of shape a lie
andrea View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 16:05
Originally posted by magnus magnus wrote:

I guess one could claim that "The Cinema Show" is more prog than "More Fool Me", just to make an example.

But it's difficult to really interpret much from such a term when there is far from a consensus on what the word "prog" means.

Well this could be a little contribute...

The problem is that a "deep analysis" about what "prog really means" risks to be terribly boring for many people...

Edited by andrea - October 31 2007 at 16:36
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 16:21
It's obvious that the only truth is that I'm much more prog than most of you.....Tongue

Eagles is more prog than Backstreet Boys, but Backstreet Boys are more prog than eminem (really? maybe not).. then again, Genesis is more prog than Eagles, but less than VDGG, who were less prog than BAckstreet Boys, as the latter are contemporary and therefore more modern.... ConfusedConfused

Again.... you're not as prog as I Tongue
sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 16:42
Some very clever comments here........... For me, prog is only a term and each one put his own boundaries to what they consider prog..... Including definitions such the one stated in this site...... as the one in Wikipedia..... etc.

For that reason, Pa has been everytime more inclusive and it'll keep being so Wink. Is that right? Is that wrong? Who knows??? Big%20smile
The best you can is good enough...
puma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 17:52
"progressive" is a term used to talk about the progressive rock MOVEMENT, not a GENRE. The movement ended in the 70s and there have been countless revival bands, reformed classic bands, and bands who play in the spirit of the old ones. But this crap where everyone uses the word "prog" like it's a genre bothers me. It's just another method of pigeonholing, and in turn it trivializes the music.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 18:13
To say "X" is More Prog then "Y" is not a quantitive statement - I'm not convinced that it is even a subjective statement - it's just a feeling.

Prog quotient cannot be defined by any analytical process. Yes, you can tick off a check list of the esoteric musical elements and structures that can be used to create the architypical prog tune, but that still won't tell you if a piece of music is more or less proggy than any other piece of music - it won't permit you to guage Yes against Gentle Giant against King Crimson against Pink Floyd (eventhough many still try) - let alone determine if RIO is more or less prog than Zeuhl - because those checks are nothing more than guide lines - they are not rules carved in stone so you don't get 3 Prog-points for having odd time signatures and 2 Prog-points for having a non-standard structure etc.

So, without numerical values to measure "X" against "Y" all you can say is "X" feels more prog than "Y" - how you arrive at this feeling is anybody's guess, but listening to lots of diferent Prog is a starting point.

I guess the real irony is that it is far easier to say what is not Prog.

Edited by darqdean - October 31 2007 at 18:14
What?
Floydian42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 23:23
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Originally posted by Trademark Trademark wrote:

So am I... my year of birth is in my profile, since I must be the only woman alive who's never hidden her age!LOL

Thats three, although, I aint old.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>