Topic ClosedDavid Byron solo output

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: David Byron solo output
    Posted: November 01 2007 at 15:09
     I've recently discovered David Byron's solo albums, plus the Rough Diamond album. I really enjoyed the albums and I frankly do not understand people's disappointment with his solo output; surfing the net for more information about Byron's solo work, i got across many negative opinions about his solo albums, plus mentioned all over the place the phrase "unsuccessful career". i don't get it, most of the stuff I've heard is really good, some of it better than many songs of the Lawton Uriah Heep (which I like a lot, too, but then again those albums get a lot of heat, again).

So, i open this topic for all those interested to see what went well and what went wrong with David Byron's solo work and maybe an explanation for me why his output was unsuccessful.

Edited by Cristi - November 01 2007 at 15:24
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2007 at 15:14
I almost had a heart attack Cristi, I thought you wrote "Dan Byron" Big%20smile
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2007 at 16:32
His first album, recorded while he was still in Heep, is excellent. Tracks like "Man full of yesterdays" qualify him for "Heavy prog" in my opinion.

He was sacked from Uriah Heep because of his problems with alcohol, an illness which was to blight him untill his death. His subsequent albums suffered as a result. "Baby faced killer" has some good tracks, but it was very variable.

Rough Diamond's album was the same, some of it was really good, but a lot of it was marred by Byron's inability to focus. For me, The Byron Band album was a sorry end.

It should be remembered that although David was initially one of Uriah Heep's main songwriters, Ken Hensley quickly took on that role. I don't think Byron was capable of writing an entire album of top quality material on his own.

Had David been able to get his drinking under control, I am sure he would be back in Uriah Heep today. His song "I remember" says it all.

By the way, did you know he used to work with Elton John when they recorded anonymous cover versions of pop songs for budget LPs. Some of the songs he did are available on CD.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2007 at 16:33
Bob, should we take him into consideration for addition to HP? You're the expert.. what do you say?
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2007 at 17:58
Not a priority Raf. He would qualify for Prog related anyway, which on reflection is probably more appropriate overall.

Cheers!Big%20smile
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 07:32
'Take No Prisoners' as an album is arguably better than any album Uriah Heep did in that mid-70s period. I haven't heard it for a while but it has some cracking material on it.

The other two I had, 'Rough Diamond' and 'On The Rocks', have amazingly apt titles, IMHO. Both are patchy, straight up rock albums- 'On The Rocks' shows him going through the motions IMHO, of course.

I'm not too convinced about his inclusion here, although I'll grant you his debut album could well have been put out as a Uriah Heep album, really.

Interestingly, I was reading Bob Harris' autobiography recently and Byron cropped up in that. Bob said he got friendly with David not long after his exit from Heep, and Bob said that David was a in a bad way psychologically, seeming bitter about what had happened with the band and on one occasion, he held a gun to his head. A sad end, really.

Edited by salmacis - November 02 2007 at 07:36
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2007 at 12:32
   the more I  listen the more I love the music. Thumbs%20Up 

i think David Byron deserves a second chance. Highly recommended for those who enjoy Uriah Heep or hard rock in general. try his music, you might be surprised - in a most positive way.
 Post Reply Post Reply