Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOverhead (Finland)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overhead (Finland)
    Posted: November 02 2007 at 08:15
I've just received a message from Jaakko the guitarist of Overhead:
"Hi,
As you seem to be our super-fan I thought I'd give you some news about the new Overhead-CD:
Still waiting for Alex to finish his last vocal and flute parts. It always takes him a loooong time, as he has his day job etc.
The album might come out early 2008, I'd say. We hope for your patience, it should definitely be worth the wait.
All the best,
Jaakko/Overhead" Smile
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 08:19
Good news. My wife and I both love their two albums and we're looking forward to this new one.

PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2007 at 08:38
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Good news. My wife and I both love their two albums and we're looking forward to this new one.

Yes, it is a good news! Smile

I've got the cd Metaepitome  and  I downloaded  Zumanthum for free on their website.
For the new album, I know that it will be on the style of Metaepitome with more space-rock phases, vocal harmonies like The Beatles and punchy classic rock like The Who!
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=111341222

And for the people who read french, here is what i wrote about Overhead:
http://rockprogpassion.blog4ever.com/blog/lirarticle-80695-213875.html .

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 15:40
I don't get it why these threads about bands like these which are not well known get so little views (not posts!).

Metaepitome will appeal to many people here based on what they're listening to.

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 02:57

Well Assaf, we keep on writing about these bands, this is what
                        my Indonesian friend Gatot and me wrote about Overhead:

OVERHEAD — Metaepitome

Review by Gatot (Gatot Widayanto)
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator

3%20stars Friends, I think we should be proud that a newly established Finnish band Overhead which the musicians’ age do not exceed twenty-six years old because these young gentlemen would later carry the torch of prog music in the long years ahead as they are still pretty young, age-wise. And this album is the second release after their debut “Zumanthum” (2002). I just received the album about a week ago and was impressed with the musical quality these young lads produce. Yes, there are influences from previous bands like Pink Floyd, Tangerine Dream, King Crimson, Marillion (Hogarth era), Genesis. But if I can sum it up, the music is pretty similar with Lands End or RPWL but with more energy. As I have not listened to their debut album, but I can confirm that this second album has proved that their music composition has reached a level of maturity as the band has successfully combined melodic elements and musical harmonies from various instruments used.

Metaepitome (19:40)

This album opener may well explain what I mean with this album’s similarity to Lands End music especially “Natural Selection” album at least on the first part. This track starts out as a fairly complete chord progression that guitarist Jaakko Kettunen brings in his acoustic guitar with the music flow accompanying low register notes voice line. The track builds-up steadily with the augmentation of thin mellotron sounds. Yep, the parts with mellotron work is really awesome. As the music moves at approx minutes 5 plus there is a nice flute work by Alex Keskitalo with rythmic section in the vein of Tangerine Dream, at least on the way keyboard is played in floating style. It’s a really nice interplay. What I can summarize about this track is that the music floats beautifully through the acoustic guitar chord progression with some etheral keyboard sounds that project a symphonic nuance combined with stunning guitar solo during interlude. It’s really a good composition.

Warning: Ending (without warning) (7:56)

Listening to the opening part you may have perceived that this is a spacey music. Indeed, it is (if we happen to listen the first part). The song moves slowly with some repeated keyboard work followed with drum work as the song builds into crescendo. The insertion of flute before vocal enters has enriched the textures of the music. There is an element of R&B when the vocal department takes its role, beautifully combined with keyboard insert and solid bass lines. At second verse of lyrics, electric guitar fills the music at the back whilst the singer performs its duty. The music increases into louder voice during chorus with “Warning: Ending ….” Lyrical part. The insertion of classical piano during singing part is really cool. Overall, it’s a simple track but it’s enjoyable.

Point of View (5:17)

The third track continues the tradition of using acoustic guitar as main structure of the composition with voice line builds up as the music grows. Electric guitar performs its solo in Floydian style augmented with piano work. Oh man .. I love this guitar work – even though nothing seems too complicated. Prog does not necessarily mean complex, right? Or, am I wrong? It does not seem to matter to me; I come back to my philosophy: music is emotion. So, as long as the music penetrates to my mind and stays well inside, BOOM! I got it man ….!!!

Butterfly's Cry (7:03)

WOW! man … the opening part of this track has made me stunned and has caused my mind paralyzed enjoying the beautiful – and a bit complex – harmony of musical instruments (bass, synthesizer, drums and flute) that work perfectly to construct a cohesive opening. As the music builds up the vocal enters in duo voice lines during chorus. The keyboard solo continues the melody in a neo progressive style. There are actually not much complexity during the lyrical parts but it turns more complex with parts without vocal, accentuated in alternate between guitar and keyboard (dominant).

Arrival of the Red Bumblebee (2:16)

It’s a mellow track that combines piano solo combined with mellotron work in floating style. A nice instrumental that serves nicely as bridge to the last track.

Down (16:22)

This concluding track starts off with guitar fills reminiscent of Steve Rothery works with Marillion’s later album (Hogarth era). You might find this guitar fills in Hoildays in Eden album of Marillion. The music flows in medium tempo reminiscent of Lands End music. Hackettian guitar augments the music that accompanies voice line. This track is too long as the music flows relatively flat from start to end with no (or relatively few) tempo changes. It’s probably composed like the way space psychedelic music is like. But for my personal taste, it’s boring because there are many repetition of melody. So I’d better stop this review as I’m getting bored with this “elongated” composition. It’s a regret that this album is concluded with this track even though it’s not bad at all.

Overall Summary

Overall, I still consider that this album is very good, evn though not essential. The band has successfully created excellent composition, blending such elements of psychedelic, space music and symphonic prog into a good harmony. The fact that the concluding track is composed differently seems to me like a loose end of this album and it reduces cohesiveness of this album. But this band has a promising future in the years ahead. I’m sure about this. For those of you who want to enjoy a blend of neo prog and space psychedelic music, this may fit to you. Keep on proggin’ ..!

Progressively yours,

GW

Posted Thursday, July 07, 2005, 07:40 EST | Permanent link

OVERHEAD — Metaepitome

Review by erik neuteboom (erik neuteboom)
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Prog Expert

4%20stars Three years after their debut CD entitled Zumanthum (from 2002) this Finnish band came up with this successor. I read many positive reviews and stories about Overhead so I was very curious to this new CD. Let’s analyse it song by song.

1. Metaepitome (19:40): This long titletrack starts with acoustic gutiar and melancholic vocals, then a mellow eruption featuring Floydian slide guitar and pleasant keyboards like organ and the Fender Rhodes electric piano sound. The dreamy climate is wonderfully coloured by majestic violin-Mellotron waves, followed by compelling bombastic prog delivering powerful organ. Then we can enjoy a varied and tasteful ‘progrock stew’: an exciting break with propulsive guitar chords (between Pink Foyd and early Twelfth Night), a fiery guitar solo with howling licks, a sensational synthesizer solo, a piece with metal riffs and sparkling piano, classical piano and dreamy vocals, soaring Mellotron with fragile piano play, concluded with the sound of the intro: twanging acoustic guitar and warm vocals. What a way to start an album, such an alternating and tasteful progrock!

2. Warning: Ending (7:56): This track sounds totally different from the first! First slow, then more and more compelling featuring swirling flute play. Suddenly the climate shifts to cheerful delivering modern progrock inspired music. In between some pieces with classical piano and dreamy vocals. A very varied and surprising one!

3. Point Of View 5:17: This composition is build upon very compelling, beautifully build-up guitar soli (from sensitive with volume-pedal to howling and fiery), supported by lush organ, wonderful!

4. Butterfly's Cry (7:03): A swinging rhythm featuring flute, powerful bass guitar and fluent organ waves. Again it sounds modern, far away from the mainstream progrock but still progressive. In the end a spectacular synthesizer solo, a nice musical idea.

5. Arrival Of The Red Bumblebee 2:16: A short, instrumental piece delivering sensitive piano and soft Mellotron waves, very mellow in comparison with the other tracks.

6. Down 16:22: The final song is a pleasant mix of many musical styles, again far away from the maintream progrock but for sure it sounds progressive! The keyboards are electronically inspired, the guitar howls, the rhythm-section is propulsive and the vocals contain a melancholical undertone. Very tasteful but so different from the first track, almost another band!

I needed a few turns to get into Overhead their music, not every song is my cup of tea but to me Overhead sounds like a fresh and inspired progrock band. If you are up to their varied sound, this musical chameleon will delight you!

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2007 at 10:27
And Overhead is also on the DVD Convention Prog Resiste 2006 (amond bands like Mangala Vallis, Finisterre and R.P.W.L.) with one track, later this week I will write a review about this DVD Thumbs%20Up

Edited by erik neuteboom - November 05 2007 at 10:29
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2007 at 07:31
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

I don't get it why these threads about bands like these which are not well known get so little views (not posts!).

Metaepitome will appeal to many people here based on what they're listening to.

Maybe many people have no time to listen to "unknown" bands  and to talk about them.  Perhaps they also don't like them.
The only thing I can tell you is that the subject on my blog about Overhead was only read by 6 people while Phideaux' s article had 50 visits this month.

Edited by PhideauxFan - November 09 2007 at 07:32
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2007 at 05:38

This DVD contains one track from:

Quantum Fantay
Solstice Coil
Overhead
Mangala Vallis
Foggy Stuff
Finisterre
RPWL
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2007 at 16:48
Anybody saw Overhead in Versailles last saturday? They play so few gigs in Finland that me and my girlfriend packed our bags and headed over to France to see them. What a great show, Metaepitome almost in its entirety, a couple of new songs and a couple of fantastic Crimso covers.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2007 at 16:54

Overhead had a great gig on pROCKfest in Germany  Clap

I'm currently working on a pROCKfest special with a lot of pics ...

Edited by Rivertree - November 12 2007 at 17:02

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2007 at 06:35
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2007 at 07:40
^Great, thanks. The mixing is really really terrible, but oh how I love Alex's primal screaming in Schizoid.

Edited by Keppa4v - November 19 2007 at 07:42
 Post Reply Post Reply