Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: California Guitar Trio Rocks Ann Arbor
    Posted: November 03 2007 at 23:33
Hey everybody,
   I just got back from seeing CGT, and it was an amazing show. They weren't exactly a trio either. They had some guy tagging along. What was his name ... oh yeah, Tony Levin! There were other treats, such as an immediately available recording of tonight's performance. I am going to go over it again, and come back with more details.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2007 at 10:58
OK, got some sleep, and have gone over the CD again. Unfortunately I couldn't put names on a couple of the tracks. I'll have to wait for them to post the set list.

It was a great night. The Ark is a perfect venue for an act like this, and CGT loves playing there. Ann Arbor also seems to love CGT, as it was a sold out show. The opening act was a local man, who also happened to be a bald Chapman Stick player. He was good, but not interesting enough for a longer set.

The Trio (+Tony) opened with something delicate, and quickly slid into "Miserlou." That got the crowd invigorated, and then we were ready for anything. And if you know about these guys, anything goes is usually the theme. True to form, it was a journey through variations of sublime beauty, and blistering odd tempo Avant. What is always amazing is that they accomplish this with acoustic guitars (and a bit of electronic help ). Tony had a stand up electric bass, and was of course not without his famous stick. As to be expected they played some old favorites. Included were "Melrose Avenue," "Blockhead," and a stunning arrangement of a Beethoven Sonata. Honors to Robert Fripp were shown in a rambunctious King Crimson medley, and one excellent Fripp inspired piece (of which I don't know the name). Standing ovations brought them out for three encore numbers. The official closer was a version of "Freebird," with Hideyo doing a blow your face out solo. At the very end, the three came out into the audience for a quiet version of "Bohemian Rhapsody."

The entire show was great, and Tony's presence added much. However, the highlight of the night was when Tony was on a break. They played a rendition of Pink Floyd's "Echoes" that is beyond description. It was one of the most amazing, and moving musical experiences of my life. I would have paid the price for that alone.

After the show, we formed three lines for merchandise, that night's CD, and signatures from the performers. It took a while, but considering that they were burning the CDs right there, it wasn't too bad. I got to say hi to all of them, and get my autographs on the concert disc, and Tony Levin's new album. I mentioned to Tony that I first saw him on the Peter Gabriel Security tour. He said, "Wow, that was a long time ago. When was that?" I said 1982. He said, "You don't look old enough to have been able to be let in." He is a very nice nice man.

They are an incredible act, and you should make every effort to see them if given the chance.

Edited by bhikkhu - November 04 2007 at 11:32
 Post Reply Post Reply