FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJadis - I Don’t Get It

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jadis - I Don’t Get It
    Posted: March 15 2005 at 12:10
I have tried very hard over the years and I'm not saying these guys are crap but to me, Jadis sounds well, how should I say it, a tad flat and one dimensional. It's a shame because on paper the line up looks amazing.

I don't deny that they are okay live (I've seen them a few times) but...er I dunno, maybe I just haven't heard the right album yet. 

Edited by sigod
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 12:13

try more than meets the eye: the best one!

jadis is a guitar oriented band. if you hate guitar hero solos, then this band is not for you

Edited by greenback
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 12:21
No I enjoy guitar prog, probably more than the keyboard laden stuff but thinking about it, much like I get annoyed by Ian Mosely's drumming at times, Gary Chandler's 'Chrystal Chorus' guitar sound does get on my tits.

I bought the live DVD recently and it seems that every song begins with Gary going 'deedle, deedle, deedle, deedle, bloody deedle' with the guitar. Sorry but I'm really, REALLY trying to like them but so far it's an uphil struggle.

Jadis appear to be the anti-Dream Theatre (not that I'm hugely keen on them either).
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 12:50

Originally posted by sigod sigod wrote:

Jadis appear to be the anti-Dream Theatre (not that I'm hugely keen on them either).

i would rather say jadis is an anti king crimson: they shine and are really down to Earth!

[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 15:33

I only own one Jadis disc, Fanatic. It's a good disc, strong melodies, great musicianship. The only thing missing is DYNAMICS. Every tune has a static quality. No variance of structure, just elongated poppish tunes. The talent is there, love the voice, the lyrics are okay, maybe a bit more attention to the use of space could open things up and allow the music room to breath. The keyboards don't really have any presence, too ambient. They need to bite and take charge.  

Overall, good, but I want more.

dropForge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 21:42
Jadis is pretty lackluster. There's nothing remotely "heroic" about Chandler's guitar playing.
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 22:49

Originally posted by dropForge dropForge wrote:

Jadis is pretty lackluster. There's nothing remotely "heroic" about Chandler's guitar playing.

MAN! The guy SOUNDS like few guitarists are able to! listen to the solos on hiding in the corner!

dropForge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 23:02

Quote The guy SOUNDS like few guitarists are able to!

Hahahahahaha! You're hilarious, dude!

chorus of one View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 04:57
Neo-prog. Zzzzz......

sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 05:02
Originally posted by greenback greenback wrote:

i would rather say jadis is an anti king crimson: they shine and are really down to Earth!

A criticism that is not entirely without merit I will admit.
Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 03:50

I only have More Than Meets The Eye but I really love it. They play so perfectly they sound like session musicians. Some people may think that's boring but I love well-played music. 

When I hear Gary Chandler's guitar playing, I often get the picture in my head of a sunrise or a sunset. It's happy music.

Anyone-else here love Jadis?

Edited by Bob Greece
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 08:03

I have tried very hard over the years and I'm not saying these guys are crap but to me, Jadis sounds well, how should I say it, a tad flat and one dimensional. It's a shame because on paper the line up looks amazing.

I don't deny that they are okay live (I've seen them a few times) but...er I dunno, maybe I just haven't heard the right album yet. 

I'm a big Jadis fan, but can understand what you are saying Sigod; they'll never be everyone's cup of tea and it doesn't surprise me that they get summarily trashed by VDGG and GG fans.

The problem they have always had is this 'neo-prog lite' tag (or pop with twiddly bits, as I've heard them be described!), which can too easily dismiss their musicianship.  If most serious proggers get into them, it would probably be through their debut, 'More Than meets The Eye (1992)'.

Personally, I find my fingers tap involuntarily along to all their stuff, but often want to hear something more intense after a couple of their albums...

Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
beterdedthnred4 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 08:07
I love their first two albums, especially the stellar More than Meets the Eye, but I don't like the samey aspects of their subsequent work.
Infinity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 08:48

It's melodic and energetic - don't expect your mind to be stretched

I can't remember what I said
I lost my head.

iguana View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 09:21
i was initially impressed with "more than meets the
eye" and "across the water" when they were
released but the effect was wearing thin fairly quickly.
still, good band, but hardly fit to shake the earth off its
axis – not that this is a necessity at all.

allow me an off-topic. just a word to all the people in
the deep south of the USA – we in germany are with
you in our thoughts in these dreadful times. take
care of yourselves.
felona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2005 at 09:35

^^^

I second that last  sentiment iguana

Yep ... I have a similar battle with Jadis - I really  WANT to like them, as they seem really *nice* band ... nothing offensive, just nothing spectacular. It DOES sound a bit samey but if you want some pleasant music that gives your ears a rest after VDGG and the likes ... then look  no further

and  Chandler's guitar work is good ... but his voice just doesn't do it for me ... sorry ... really want to love it but ...

I was never really sure what I was waiting for. When the moment came I was looking away ......
The Church "After Everything Now This"
Bob Greece View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 03:21

I have been listening to the free promo CD that you can get from Jadis's website. It was a surprise to me. Before that, I only had More Than Meets The Eye, which I thought was a great album. The new stuff on the promo CD is very different. This is really poppy and I'm not impressed. They seem to have gone down the same prog to pop route that Genesis did but just not so successfully.

So what went wrong? Are there any other albums worth getting after More Than Meets The Eye? When did Jadis start going downhill?

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 04:07
Originally posted by Bob Greece Bob Greece wrote:

I have been listening to the free promo CD that you can get from Jadis's website. It was a surprise to me. Before that, I only had More Than Meets The Eye, which I thought was a great album. The new stuff on the promo CD is very different. This is really poppy and I'm not impressed. They seem to have gone down the same prog to pop route that Genesis did but just not so successfully.

So what went wrong? Are there any other albums worth getting after More Than Meets The Eye? When did Jadis start going downhill?

well Bob, I've never heard Jadis actually described as 'going down the same route as Genesis' before...prog lite, yes...AOR with knobs on, yes....(tho I don't agree)

I know the promo CD you are talking about, and think its quite good.  For me, Fanatic is their strongest outing since Across the Water (1994), their second album, which is the one I'd suggest you get if you want to explore them further.

Please don't do it with a closed mind though...the number of radio friendly tunes can sometime belie Chandler's great guitar work...

Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
gulliman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 04:25
Fanatic is their strongest work to date, no doubt. I enjoy it despite the fact that I am not that big neo-prog fan (I like some IQ too and that's probably it). Their debut (More Than Meets The Eye) is pretty nice as well. Their other works pale in comparison to these two.
luc4fun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 05:02

When I started listening More Than Meets The Eyse, I was not really impressed.

After some listening I appreciated it then, especially disc 1 (bonus diskhas nothing special to me).
Gary Chandler has a good technique and a nice voice (reminds me John Wetton).

Site Admin at www.progrockwall.com
the first social network for Proggers!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>