Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sebkha Chott - Nagah Mahdi – Opuscrits En 48 Roule
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSebkha Chott - Nagah Mahdi – Opuscrits En 48 Roule

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sebkha Chott - Nagah Mahdi – Opuscrits En 48 Roule
    Posted: November 11 2007 at 08:43
SEBKHA CHOTT  - Nagah Mahdi – Opuscrits En 48 Rouleaux

Wild, aggressive and bizzare at times, this band has released this multi-genre album, which will appeal to fans of Mr. Bungle, Discus, Estradasphere and the likes and also to fans of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.

Their PA bio:

Sebkha Chott was unleashed upon the world in 2000, when two aspiring students wanted to take a step outside ‘normal’ music confines. Throwing etiquettes aside, we are left with one of the most varied and unexpected interbreeding of genres and musical ideas Avant-prog has seen since Mr Bungle. For the next three years the band experienced a periodical transition encompassing several different forms and line-up additions (bass, brass). An important annex to the band occurred with the arrival of Mustach’ Man (singer) in 2003, constituting to a wider theoretical pursuit. 2003 also saw to the release of their first full album “De l’existence de la Mythologie Chottienne en 7 cycles”, on the newly founded ‘Amicale du Mekanik Metal Disco’ (AMMD) label.

With the closing of 2005 is looming its head; Sebkha Chott hit the studios to record their acclaimed 2006 album, ‘Nagah Mahdi – Opuscrits en 48 Rouleaux’. The album stylishly mashes influences oscillating between the of realms of; Frank Zappa, Magma, Mr Bungle, Fantomas, not to mention the theatrical pomp of Monty Python. The stage/live performance shows are an occasion not to be missed, finding themselves right at home with performing acts like Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. Through theatrical improvisations they depict their peculiar stand on a weird world populated with zany inhabitants personified by the musicians.

Switching from Metal to disco to Jazz to Soul all within the blink of an eye, Sebkha Chott is bound to appease the darkest dreams of a Fantomas/Mr Bungle fan. But lets not pigeonhole them to this minority; if you are a fan of challenging music check this one out. Highly recommended.

Thanks to Josiane (guitar_ode) for help with this addition.

==Adam (Black Velvet)==

Links to listen to them: 

http://sebkhachott.websanslimit.net/
http://www.myspace.com/sebkhachott

Reviews:

SEBKHA CHOTT — Nagah Mahdi – Opuscrits En 48 Rouleaux
Review by Man With Hat (Phil)

4%20stars To describe this album briefly: A mind bending experience. However, it is much more then that. Sebkha Chott are a band that know no boundaries and are not afraid to combine musical styles that most people would feel shouldn't be together. SC mix jazz, metal, reggae, experiemental, folk, and outright strange sounds together into this musical feast. Be warned, this is not for the faint of heart.

For me, the album can be broken down into three sections: the first, dominated by a metal sound. The second, having more of a folky nature to the music, and lastly an experimental part. However, this are strictly generalizations. Each song (sometimes even the twelve second ones) twists and turns without hesitation. But the most reoccuring theme is based in those genres. Though, going through a song by song review would be quite tedious and would be terrible to read. Besides, this is one of those records that must be heard to fully appreciate the power of it. Another thing that need to be said about this band is that they have the ability to switch genres, speeds, themes, etc more smoothly and effortlessly than any other band I've heard. It is quite remarkable and really shows the skill and percision that these musicians have, even though there are times where the music can come off as "silly". There are few downsides to this album, with the most considerable is its length. Not really overlong, as there is not much here I would consider filler, just could become a little much as it takes it's forty-eight song journey. This is mostly a personal preferance thing however.

All in all, this is a fine album that any person with adventourous ears should hear. There is enough stuff going on to keep anyone busy for years, and thus there is always something new to discover. Recommended to fans of genre hopping bands (such as Mr. Bungle, Estradasphere, etc), or to anyone that is looking for something different and can embrace the weird with arms wide open. 4 stars.

Posted Wednesday, July 04, 2007, 23:59 EST
Review Permanent link | Submit a review for this album

SEBKHA CHOTT — Nagah Mahdi – Opuscrits En 48 Rouleaux
Review by guitar_ode (Josiane Fortin)

5%20stars Their music: what a blend! From metal, to jazz, opera, contemporary music, progressive rock, electronic, ambient, classic, gypsy, egyptian, african percussions, tap dance, ska, circus music, fusion, zeuhl... , Sebkha Chott mix so many styles with a perfect mastery of structured-craziness. On Nagah Mahdi, we can hear some Zappa, Magma, Fishbone, and Mr.Bungle influences. Call their music whatever you want to: “eclectic cosmic music”, “auditory feast”, or “Mekanik Metal Disco” (as the band says himself), but it is evident that they're awesome! Nagah Mahdi is really innovator; I felt over backward!

While you’re listening to the album, you can imagine that you’re in a musical theater. You penetrate their world named Ohreland. The atmosphere is festive, ironic, strange, loud, heavy, dramatic, oriental... but they particularly accent the delirious and original side of their songs. The brass instruments and the distortion guitars leads the sound, despite that their music is so diversified and the amount of intruments is really big. The 3 singers (2 men and 1 woman) contribute to create a crazy atmosphere, alternating between talked lyrics, cries, whispering, opera and going from French to English... Their lyrics are totally profound and lucid. The texts bring some strong reflections about life, even if it seems to have irony in them. The words are manipulated with a hand of genius!

Their album Nagah Mahdi is really surprising. You’ve propably never seen that: 48 tracks on one CD! All the tracks are really short; about 1:30 (one is 5 seconds long!!!), but there’s a black sheep (a 12:50 long track). The 48 tracks of Nagah Mahdi are separated in 8 rouleaux (rolls). However, almost all the songs follow one after the other and cannot be separated. The musical pieces form a masterpiece that has to be considered as a whole, as a brilliant album in his entirety.

If you’re adventurous, don’t wait to get it, it’s absolutely worthwhile! I give 4.5 stars for this jewel!

Posted Wednesday, April 18, 2007, 20:59 EST
Review Permanent link | Submit a review for this album

1. Boum Boum Yüla ! (0:35)
2. Valdez Retro Maldito Seveso (1:43)
3. Ruben With The pippermint (0:25)
4. La Complainte D'Yvette H. (1:44)
5. Alchamie Malhabile (1:11)
6. L'Âge Du Cuivre (1:15)
7. Furtive (0:05)
8. Bossa 'Na Bossa (0:46)
9. Préavis De Grève (0:25)
10. La Procession Des Imbéciles (2:44)
11. Un Autre Chemin Que La Violence ? (2:00)
12. Lâche Cette Cuillère !!! (0:30)
13. La Routine Habituelle (Les Gaugau... Les Gaugau... Les Gaulois !!!) (1:04)
14. Nice Trap (1:33)
15. Café La Main Verte (1:14)
16. Sombre Gloire (1:25)
17. : Wagadey Wagadey Wagadey Wagadey Wagadey Woy Heeeee :Woille Hey (0:23)
18. Pour Quelques Mollards De Plus (1:30)
19. Hymen (2:02)
20. Sensual Lips And Magic Tricks (2:08)
21. Menstrual Fix And Phallic Sticks (0:53)
22. Fils-Phoque Au Gingembre (1:18)
23. Olé ! (1:07)
24. All Blacks (0:39)
25. Mrs Râ Et Amon Aclack Ont Une Fille À Tête De Chat? (0:07)
26. Illusions (1:47)
27. Salle D'Attente - Pasteurisation (1:20)
28. Confrérie De L'Intox (1:58)
29. Choc Post-Opératoire (1:12)
30. Ferme Les Yeux, Tu Vas Tacher Tes Lunettes ! (1:09)
31. J'Ai Éjaculé Une Boîte De Mouchoirs ! (1:03)
32. De Saint Calais À Bétlehem En Trafic (0:42)
33. Le Tupperware De La Mer Morte (1:32)
34. Agrabah (1:03)
35. VaGoDor Deu Sahpun (Introduction Au Rastafarï Vénusien Albinos) (1:53)
36. L'Harmonie Est-Elle Municipale? (Thèse - Antithèse - Synthèse) (1:23)
37. Méchoui (0:35)
38. Mais Qui A Laissé Cramer Le Chameau? (1:13)
39. Voodoo Break (0:45)
40. N'y Va Pas, Tante Mireille ! (0:29)
41. Ode Létale (2:05)
42. Near Death Exercise (1:57)
43. Goat Of Rahahaaz Vs Mustach'Man (1:07)
44. Enlève Ton Pied De Ma Chaussure, Pablo ! (0:12)
45. Soul Coït (12:50)
46. 1'29" À Peine (inspired by John Cage's 4'33") (1:29)
47. Ma Lamborghini Tato (II) (1:02)
48. Le Cirque Des Enfers (Yüla T'Informe) (0:58)

Total Time: 68:33

Line-up/Musicians

- Yüla Slipovitch / drums, glockenspiel, big cowbell, vibraslap, shoutings
- Wladimir Ohrelianov II / bass, little cowbell, hip hop, drunk-hunting songs, shoutings, snaps, guitars
- Tzom Trümb / trombone, drunk-hunting songs
- Pr Siphon Trounezöhle / machines, Ratzgado guitar, shoutings
- Hrabe (Black) Sebbath / vocals
- Comtesse Gnania Del Amafia / vocals
- Capt'ain Roses / guitars, shoutings
- Alter Frabrovitch / keyboards, clarinet

Guests:
- Zornberguette / tap dance
- VaGoDor Deu Sahpun / baritone saxophone
- Labial Aerostick / alto saxophone
- P.A.Squale Del Amafia / soprano saxophone
- Nain Nain / trumpet
- Mustach'Man / vocals
- Julios Lefranc-Gaulois Kaïser / percussions
- Grümse / gromulus
- Genbaku Orchestra / directed improvisation
- Goat of Rahahaaz / vocals
- David Rabillet / cajon
- DJ Guilty / turntables
- Cristobal Del Amafia / trumpet
- Benoît Popol II / keyboards, snaps
- Amaël / black metal vocals

Releases information

CD AMMD/Musea Records (2006)

honganji View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 11:34
Strange but interesting album. It's very difficult to put into one sub-genre. But if you like both jazz rock and R.I.O., I bet you can accept this music.
mecca View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 14:24
Wow sweet.  I'll be sure to check this out.

I'm just wondering, what songs have improvisation, I don't hear any in the songs of their myspace.  Oh, nevermind, I only listened to the top two songs.

I love this.  I'll no doubt be buying this... all the "songs" flow seamlessly together, to form one garganutan song.

Edited by mecca - November 11 2007 at 17:23
mecca View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 17:33
Avestin, I hope you don't mind me posting about this band in other places... just to get the word out about them.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 17:35
Originally posted by mecca mecca wrote:

Avestin, I hope you don't mind me posting about this band in other places... just to get the word out about them.

On the contrary my friend; the more, the better!

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2008 at 22:24
This forum has BUMPS all over the place...

Drakk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 20:21
...and it shall have another.

These guys are fantastic.  I do hope they release another album.
[QUOTE=darkshade] [QUOTE=Sckxyss]
I'm disappointed - neither of these players are avant-garde!

Al di Meola.

[/QUOTE]

haha i know. but the poll itself is avant-garde
[/QUOTE]
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2008 at 20:32
Originally posted by Drakk Drakk wrote:

...and it shall have another.

These guys are fantastic.  I do hope they release another album.

They just did. They released a new one and reissue of their first album at the same time (or something to that effect I think).

www.myspace.com/sebkhachott

http://sebkhachott.net/

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2009 at 21:46
Received their 2008 release a while back, again, they've done it! Very good release.
Anyone else got it?

Post Reply Post Reply