Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlbums that you hated but have grown on y

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums that you hated but have grown on y
    Posted: November 15 2007 at 06:40
I used to hate Close to the Edge but after a few listens it grew on me. Certainly overrated but a fine album regardless.
The Lamb lies down on Broadway was a disappointment at a first listen, but on the second go it just clicked and is now my second favorite Genesis album after Foxtrot.
Pink Floyd's first album has never been a favorite, but I've learned to tolerate it enough to buy the recent anniversary release.
The only King Crimson albums  I've gotten into on  first listen were ItCotCK and Red, and while I don't love all of them as much as them I certainly appreciate most of them now. 
Anybody have a similar experience?

What's yer faovrite album? =^_^=
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 07:43
Not so much a single album for me as a whole band.

Rewind the scene to 28+ years ago, you've meet a girl for the first time and are going through her LP collection (like you do Embarrassed, come on, we've all done it Wink) 'got, got, no got, got, got, don't want, got, got, eeuw... fCensored no!' ... with that 'eeuw'-phemism being reserved exclusively for Barclay James Harvest...

In my experience no boy ever owned a BJH album, they were always bought and liked by girls, in fact no boy would even admit to liking them just to impress the girls - it just wouldn't work. So it was no real suprise to me to find a BJH album amid any girl's LP collection, just eeuw...

So imagine my face when 25 years ago my wife admited to liking BJH, and Mockingbird in particular (we don't have an emote for it, its' somwhere between Confused and Dead)

A quarter of a century later, I don't know whether I'm mellowing with old age, or just use it to counter-balance the more extreme stuff I listen too, but I don't mind BJH now and again, I still don't like them enough to listen to a whole album, but I can manage to eat my dinner while listening to them and I have to admit that She Said is a pretty impressive song.

Who knows, may be in another 25 years I'll be able to cope with 'Octoberon' from beginning to end.
What?
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 07:52
You have a prog-wife, Dean? Shocked
proggy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 08:40
Nektar - A Tab in the Ocean
Camel - Moodmadness
Roxy Music - Siren
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 08:47
Originally posted by andu andu wrote:

I have an eclectic-crossover-prog-related-wife ApproveHeart
What?
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 08:49
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

Clap
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 09:52
It's true that you mellow with age. I now enjoy all kinds of singles from the classic disco period (Bee Gees, Abba, Hot Chocolate, even Lipps Inc.) - stuff that would have got me running for the nearest DOOR when it was first released. Really, it's great for car tapes. And having teenage daughters helps. But the Village People is where I draw the line!
More seriously, it took me years to fully accept Led Zep. Now they're one of my favourite bands.
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 09:54

In my experience no boy ever owned a BJH album, they were always bought and liked by girls, in fact no boy would even admit to liking them just to impress the girls - it just wouldn't work.

When I was at school i had a couple of friends (both male) who were into prog. One had all the King Crimson and Van der Graaf Generator LPs, the other had all the BJH albums. My friends went on to become the rhythm section for an anarcho-punk band!

To get nearer to the topic, I bought the U Totem album after reading a fantastic review but I really didn't like the singing. With some computer guddling I edited out the vocal sections leaving an excellent album!

Edited by A B Negative - November 15 2007 at 09:55
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Lofcaudio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 10:12
Gentle Giant - Octopus
darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 10:31
I didn't like Tool at all a few years ago, my brother use to listen to them a lot and I'd hear them too often.  I didn't like metal much then, and they're songs sounded to much alike to me.  But a couple of their albums,  Ęnima and Undertow grew on me over time, and I really started to enjoy them.  It took a much longer time for me to really like Lateralus.   
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 10:55
Well I love Barclay James Harvest, I have to say. They have a grasp of melody that some modern symphonic prog I could mention does not. I have to say I feel their work has aged better than The Moody Blues', who BJH are always unfavourably compared to. But I can see why they wouldn't appeal to people. AFAIK, the members of the BJH forum are mostly male though...including myself.Big%20smile

Whilst I always liked songs on it, I didn't play Pink Floyd's 'The Wall' very much. Over the past few months, I can't get enough of it and think it's a masterpiece. I can't say that for 'A Momentary Lapse Of Reason' but I have to confess, it's a hell of a lot better than I remember it being.

Sometimes it goes the other way. Uriah Heep's 'Innocent Victim' and 'Fallen Angel' I used to play a lot, now I find little to like about them!
cynthiasmallet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 11:11
Marillion- Clutching at Straws
Genesis- Selling England By The Pound
Caravan- For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night
Would you like to watch TV, or get between the sheets, or contemplate the silent freeway, would you like something to eat?
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 11:18
Bursting at the Seams by Strawbs.

First heard it when it was released but thought it was all like Part of the Union - I guess that track totally coloured my view. I ignored Strawbs completely as a result until I met a true Strawbs fanatic about 7 years ago who MADE me listen properly. I now own their entire discography from All Our Own Work to Deadlines and have bitterly regretted nearly 30 wasted years when I didn't listen to them.

Tears and Pavan, Flying, Down By The Sea, Lay Down, Lady Fuschia and The Winter and the Summer are all out of the very top drawer - but I still can't listen to Part of the Union or Thank You!!!!
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 12:39
My first Genesis album, Selling England. Took me like 20 listens and finally I understood it. Still no masterpiece likes it is made out to be though. Excellent regardless.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 13:00
King Crimson -- Lizard
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 13:05

Well, I'm afraid there is only one prog-(not-yet)-wife hereWinkLOL... You see, some guys have all the luck!LOL

Back to the topic at hand, I can't remember any albums I actually hated that have grown on me. If I don't like an album at the first listen, it's quite unlikely I'll ever listen to it again willingly - as is the case of most of the DT albums I own bar Images & Words. However, I distinctly remember an album which didn't impress me too much at first listen, and then became one of my favourites - UK's debut album.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 13:19
I have a prog-related girlfriend.  Although perhaps she might qualify as a Xover prog girlfriend.  LOL

As for the topic:  I had trouble originally getting into Gentle Giant at all.  I had their disc Free Hand and for whatever reason, the first few years I listened to it, it never quite gelled with me.  Then I thought to give them another try, about a year and a half ago, and suddenly, I got it.  I love all their albums up to Interview now and they are one of my three favorite bands.  Of course, I never hated the album or the band, I just didn't see what the big deal about them was until I finally "got it."

Edited by The Doctor - November 15 2007 at 13:34
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Utah Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 13:34

group: RIPAILLE
album: "La Vieille Que L'on Brūla"

this one is /was an acquired taste, but it is a truely brilliant work.
one of the finest progressive rock  albums to come out of france.

Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 17:52
Magma - .M.D.K.
Can - Tago Mago
Henry Cow - Western Culture

All three were my introductions to their respective genres, and all are quite experimental, so it's understandable why I didn't enjoy them at first. (actually, I pretty much hated them!) But, now they're among some of my favourite albums
oddentity View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 21:34
Originally posted by A B Negative A B Negative wrote:

In my experience no boy ever owned a BJH album, they were always bought and liked by girls, in fact no boy would even admit to liking them just to impress the girls - it just wouldn't work.

When I was at school i had a couple of friends (both male) who were into prog. One had all the King Crimson and Van der Graaf Generator LPs, the other had all the BJH albums. My friends went on to become the rhythm section for an anarcho-punk band!

To get nearer to the topic, I bought the U Totem album after reading a fantastic review but I really didn't like the singing. With some computer guddling I edited out the vocal sections leaving an excellent album!

How does that work with One Nail Draws Another?

I personally love the vocals.  Emily's voice is pure, yet earnest and artistic.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>