FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy Road to Prog Enlightenment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 09:02
oh yes... I live for liner notes  and the artwork LOL...  it is one thing to 'hear' the music.. another when you have some insight into understanding the music.  

Edited by micky - June 28 2008 at 09:03
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2008 at 10:05
Please forgive what could seem to be shameless self-promotion of a review but let me dust off this blog for a moment to promote an album that I feel is most definitely a highlight on my road to Prog Enlightenment.  Rather than repeat what I wrote in my review of Presto Ballet's The Lost Art of Time Travel, I am just going to attach a link to that review.  http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=180925

I suspect that most of you might not have heard of this band and since it is a new release you probably have not yet heard this new album.  As you can read from my review I genuinely enjoyed this album and I really think that fans of the glory days of prog will also really enjoy this album; especially those who enjoy the hammond organ and mellotron.  I suspect that I hang out here enough and share my tastes enough that many of you have a pretty good sense of where my tastes in music lie.  (If not please feel free to read the first two pages of this blog). 

If you do happen to follow my advice and pick up this album, please let me know what you think.

Thank you,

Scott

jazzraptor View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 12:46
I notice that Kurdt and the boys are my new label mates, and that they also can be heard on mindawn.com. This means you can listen to the whole album for free, if you want, before deciding if you want to download it! And after reading your review, Scott . . .

I'm heading over there to listen to the album right now! Thanks!
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 13:08
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Since this is my blog, I decided to fill it with additional useless information.  I was perusing the different subgenre key albums to see where I stand within the various subgenres.  There was a separate thread a couple of month back regarding being a subgenre completionist.  I had a general post there, but wanted to explore this a bit further within the various subgenres.

Progressive Metal - 19 out of 20 key albums; the only one that I don't have is Kamelot's Black Halo.  I'm not familiar with them at all.

Prog-Related - 13 out of 20 key albums.  Go figure that the second most popular category for me would be a non-prog category.

Proto-Prog - 12 out of 20 key albums.  And of course, the third most popular category would be the other non-prog category.

Heavy Prog - 11 out of 20.  Mostly Rush.  This is one of my favorite subgenres and yet I don't have too many of the top albums.  Room for exploration. Clap Although 4 of the ones that I am missing are Anekdoten and I don't know that I will be able to get my grubby paws on any of those. 

Eclectic Prog - 11 out of 20 key albums.  I guess that this really isn't my category.  It is dominated by King Crimson, Gentle Giant, and Van der Graaf Generator.  Probably my least favorite of the classic prog era.  GG & VDGG are both relatively new listens for me.  GG has grown on me some.  VDGG hasn't yet, but I will keep trying.  KC has both good and bad phases.  I'm not as big into their improvisation years as others.  I tend to prefer the early Bruford years to any other era of KC.

Symphonic Prog - 10 out of 20.  Another category where many of my favorite bands are, and yet I only have half of the key albums.  Exploration is so much fun.  Clap

Neo-Prog - 9 out of 20.  Another of my favorite subgenres.  And yes more exploration. Clap.  Unfortunately, some of the top albums like Nexus and Triangle don't seem to be available anywhere.  Possibly with Greg Walker where I suppose I could check.

Prog folk - 8 out of 20.  Really I just dabble here, but since this is the home of Jethro Tull, The Strawbs, and Traffic that means I have 8 of the top 20 albums here.

Psychedelic Space Rock - 7 out of 20. 5 Pink Floyd and 2 Oceansize.  Otherwise I know very little from this subgenre (excluding some Hawkwind and the early era of Porcupine Tree).

Crossover Prog - 5 out of 20 key albums.  This is somewhat surprising because I like a lot of the bands that are listed, but I guess I just haven't discovered the key albums yet.

Experimental Post Metal - 3 out of 20 key albums.  The only 3 that I have are Tool's Lateralus, Dead Soul Tribe's A Muder of Crows, and OSI's Office of Strategic Intelligence.  I will definitely be getting Dead Soul Tribe's A Lullaby for the Devil and maybe a couple of others, but the rest of the bands don't interest me too much.

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal - 3 out of 20 key albums.  I have 2 of the Opeth (Not Ghost Reveries) and Nothingface from Voivod.  I like Opeth's music but can't stand the death metal vocals (as I have made known way too many times).  I do like some of Voivod's output but not all of it.  The only other band that I have heard and they were OK, was Psychotic Waltz. 

Jazz/fusion - 3 out of 20.  This isn't surprising since I only dabble here.  1 Mahavishnu album, 1 Bill Bruford album, and 1 Derek Sherinian album (the latter 2 mainly because of their associations with other bands).

Canterbury - 3 out of 20.  I like Caravan. 

Post Rock/Math Rock - 2 out of 20. I have 2 GY!BE albums.  I don't really like them very much though.

Krautrock - 2 out of 20. I have 1 from Amon Duul and 1 from Can.  I don't really like these very much either. 

RIO/Avant - 2 out of 20.  I have 1 from Frank Zappa and 1 from Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.  Both are OK but not really my cup of tea. I will probably further explore Mr. Zappa however, since he is so highly regarded on PA, and it is said that his sound covers so many different arenas I am bound to find at least some good stuff from him.  I will further explore some of the threads that were dedicated to discovering some good Frank Zappa, although I think that at least 1 PA member mentioned each of his 1 gazillion albums so I don't know how useful that will be. LOL

I have nothing from the other 3 subgenres Indo-Prog/Raga Prog; Italian; or Zeuhl.  I'll probably explore the Italian prog further just because the streaming on this site that I listened to sounded interesting.  The other two categories will probably long be ignored by me however.

Other than the traditional prog metal and the non prog categories I have much exploring to do amongst the various subgenre key albums.  And of course much more room for prog enlightenment.

Why have you omited Progressive Electronic? Don't you have any albums from this subgenre?
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2008 at 13:20

Just checking to see if anyone was paying attention. Wink  Actually, it was an oversight on my part, but looking at it now, I only have 1 out of the top 20 albums, and that is Brian Eno's Here Come the Warm Jets.  I have 3 Tangerine Dream albums but none of them are from the top 20.  Another pretty big hole in my collection.  It looks like the only other artist listed in Prog Electronic that I have albums from is Scott Mosher, and that is because I downloaded the albums from his website a couple of weeks ago in response to another thread comparing albums that were available for free downloads. (I think that was Clarke's thread if I am not mistaken). 

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2008 at 20:38

I return once again to add an update to My Road to Prog Enlightenment blog.  I haven't really had too much to say and what I have had to say I have just posted elsewhere as I am prone to babbling on no matter what thread I might be in.  Thanks to ProgArchives and my insatiable appettite to hear new music I have purchased many new CDs in 2008.  The purpose of this post is to talk a little bit about some of my favorite new releases of 2008, but I should also mention that I have filled in some holes of some older releases as well such as The Soft Machine's Third; Jethro Tull's War Child and Stormwatch, Uriah Heep's Demons and Wizards; Miles Davis' Bitches Brew, Blue Oyster Cult's Secret Treaties; National Health; and some Triumvirat amongst others. 

I'll start by saying that my favorite album from 2008 is Presto Ballet's The Lost Art of Time Travel.  It blew me away with the first listen and I still extremely enjoyed it with my listen today.  I have already eluded to this album a couple of times in this blog and there is a link to my review of it somewhere above, so that is the extent that I will discuss that album in this post.

Number two on my list is the 2 CD set from The Tangent: Not As Good As The Book.  This is another album that grabbed me from my first listen and it gets better with each listen.  In many ways I found the lyrics for this album to be quite biographical.  The premise of Not As Good as the Book, at least as I interpret it is that you spend your youth reading all of these books where the heroes are involved in great adventures filled with excitement on every turning page, where the hero gets the treasure, gets the girl, and saves the world, and if that hero is James Bond, or Jason Bourne, he usually gets to come back for many more exciting adventures.  Then you grow up and you are living in the real world and you spend your day in front of the computer adding numbers to spreadsheets, etc....  Not very exciting at all.  Being that I am an accountant I spend many a day in front of a computer preparing spreadsheets so I can definitely relate.  I have been a fan of The Tangent since their beginning, with The Music That Died Alone probably being my favorite album of 2003, and In Earnest from 2006's A Place in the Queue being one of my favorite modern day songs, so needless to say I was thrilled with the release of Not As Good as the Book, and the CD was good enough to rate as my second favorite CD of 2008.

My 3rd favorite album of the year is The Reasoning's Dark Angel.  My buddy Fandango mentioned the band Karnataka to me and in my search to find something from them I came across The Reasoning, which includes former Karnataka vocalist Rachel Cohen. This was kind of a two for one deal for me as I downloaded both Dark Angel and 2007's The Awakening from eMusic at the same time.  Dark Angel kind of snuck into my top five with my most recent listens to it.  One thing that has really changed for me this year is that I have discovered many new bands with female lead singers, which I am really enjoying. It has been a nice change of pace for me, as generally most of my favorite bands all have male lead singers, and I am not too big a fan of most of the female singers of pop-dom.

My fourth favorite album of 2008 is Pineapple Thief's Tightly Unwound.  Pineapple Thief have been around since 1999, and before that members of the band were in a band called Vulgar Unicorn.  I had heard of this band plenty of times before, but I had not actually heard them until the release of Tightly Unwound.  I find them to be very similar in texture to bands such as Porcupine Tree or Pure Reason Revolution, but at least with this new album, I enjoy this more than the other two bands.  Oddly enough, unlike my normal M.O. I have not attacked their back catalogue yet, so I still have that to look forward too.  (I hope). 

My fifth favorite album of 2008 was a PA album of the month a couple of months ago, and that is Edensong's The Fruit Fallen.  Fellow Site Monitor, Pomt suggested Edensong as a band for inclusion prior to the release of The Fruit Fallen.  They had the album streaming on their website and I immediately fell in love with it.  Once it was released it showed up as an available download on eMusic, so I quickly downloaded it, and it has been in fairly regular rotation on my iPod ever since.  This is a teriffic debut album and hopefully the beginning of great things to come.  I am definitely hoping that the almost complete turnover of the band won't have a negative effect, but thinking King Crimson and Robert Fripp, there is something very prog about complete band turnover after one album. 

This should make my buddies Dean and Micky proud that 3 of my top 5 albums fall in the Crossover genre, with the other two falling in Eclectic; although with The Tangent it appears that they might be on the move elsewhere; possibly to crossover.

I have plenty of runner up albums that I found to be almost as good and quite frankly on a different day in a different mood they would probably make my top 5 as well.  These include local band Tile's Fly Paper, which had been in my top 5 all year, but after much thought I decided to bump them into the next group of 5.  Also included is Thieves' Kitchen's Water Road, which I haven't given as many listens as I might like to.  It could in future retrospect move higher on my list after more listens.  It was also very difficult for me to exclude Karmakanic's Who's the Boss in the Factory?  I am enjoying this album very much, but again I just haven't had it long enough or listened to it enough to justify it being in my top 5.  Rounding out my other favorites include Simon Says' Tardigrade; Ayreon's 01011001; RPWL's The RPWL Experience; Marillion's Happiness is the Road; Frost's Experience in Mass Appeal; and Matthew Parmenter's Horror Express.

I also thought that it was a pretty good year for prog related and non-prog albums including King's X's XV; Metallica's Death Magnetic; Coldplay's Viva La Vida; Avantasia's The Scarecrow; Asia's Phoenix; Journey's Revelations; Judas Priest's Nostradamus; and even Guns and Rose's Chinese Democracy has turned out to be a little better than my first impressions, which were pretty low. 

I know that many fans of more innovative forms of progressive music seem to be quite disappointed with 2008, but all and all for my more simple tastes I found 2008 to be a very good year.  Here's hoping that 2009 brings more of the same.

I should mention that there are plenty of new 2008 releases that I have yet to hear so unfortunately I could not include those unheard albums within my favorites, but judging by my tastes and what I know or have heard about these bands there is a good chance that they might have been amongst my favorites.  These include Pendragon's Pure; Everon's North; and It Bites' Tall Ships.  This means that I still have plenty of new 2008 music to still discover and if the mood so strikes me when I happen across these bands I will let you know what I feel about them here within my blog.

If you made it this far thank you for taking the time to hang out with my thoughts.  I hope that you too found plenty of good music in 2008 that fit your tastes, and I'll see you in 2009.

P.S. And lest I forget, I must give a big heartfelt thank you to our late friend Antoine (Febus) for all of his insight into prog that he gave to me this year prior to his passing.  Rest in Peace my friend, and hopefully there is prog (and bossa) in heaven.

Edited by rushfan4 - December 26 2008 at 21:08
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2008 at 02:20
Hey there, nice blog! Very good idea to update your progress in prog rock and get the members involved.  I have heard great things about Presto Ballet, so I might want to give them a shot.  I would just like a reference point as to what they sort of sound like.  Vanderhoof has talked about his desire to carry forward the spirit of 70s prog, but 70s prog is a vast ocean Tongue, so what do they sound like? Rush? Kansas? Deep Purple? Genesis? ELP? 

And I am interested to know what happened of your Renaissance excursions. Yes, I am a fan, so there's a 'vested' interest. Tongue Just kidding, the giants like Genesis need no promotion but a lesser force like Renaissance needs a bit of prodding and pushing once in a while. Tongue  If folk prog is what appeals more to you, then Ashes Are Burning and Prologue are worth looking up. From Turn Of The Cards to Songs for All Seasons is more orchestra-dominated and Cards gets my vote as the best album from this phase and also their overall best.  They're not quite all sugary-sweet as much as they are made out to be, but it's not Van Der Graaf with female vocals either.  Clear, powerful vocals with understated, restrained emoting which some people may find too flat for their liking - but unless you like the vocals, you have next to no chance of enjoying the band. Not a discredit to the other band members, it's just the way the music is arranged, it puts the focus squarely on the vocals. By the way, The Other Woman, of course, does not have the legendary Annie Haslam on vocals, so no surprises if you were underwhelmed.  I have not heard that album so I can't tell you how that vocalist compares to Haslam.  From the ratings, it looks to me to be a bad place to start with Renaissance, that much I can tell. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2008 at 10:35

Hi rogerthat, Thank you for reading my blog and your input. 

I think that the best way to describe Presto Ballet's sound is a cross of Kansas with the hammond sound of Deep Purple with a little bit of Styx and even some Dream Theater or I suppose Metal Church thrown in for good measure.

As far as Renaissance goes, I must admit that they are still on my to-do list.  Last time I made it to my local store I did notice that they had Prologue in stock.  I'll keep in mind your recommendation the next time that I make it over there.  I've been looking at eMusic too.  They only have Tuscany and the concert Live in the Land of the Rising Sun available for download.  I might download the concert as that might give me a better flavor of their sound.  Tuscany isn't from their golden era, but it does have Annie Haslam singing on it. so that might be a good download too.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2008 at 11:29

Hi rogerthat, Thank you for reading my blog and your input. 

I think that the best way to describe Presto Ballet's sound is a cross of Kansas with the hammond sound of Deep Purple with a little bit of Styx and even some Dream Theater or I suppose Metal Church thrown in for good measure.

As far as Renaissance goes, I must admit that they are still on my to-do list.  Last time I made it to my local store I did notice that they had Prologue in stock.  I'll keep in mind your recommendation the next time that I make it over there.  I've been looking at eMusic too.  They only have Tuscany and the concert Live in the Land of the Rising Sun available for download.  I might download the concert as that might give me a better flavor of their sound.  Tuscany isn't from their golden era, but it does have Annie Haslam singing on it. so that might be a good download too.

Thanks, the presence of metallic elements with organs in the mix sounds interesting, I might look this up.  As for Renaissance,  yes, Prologue is more than worth a shot, it's not quite quintessential Renaissance but it's excellent nevertheless and I rate it higher than anything they made after Scheherazade, Annie never sounded so fresh again on any other Renaissance album.   Wouldn't recommend Tuscany, sounded to me like they have lost touch with their core for too long to recapture it and the lady's power has considerably diminished though she's always pleasant to listen to.   It's not bad by any stretch but not the place to start with the band. Just because it's a live album, that concert might be better especially since it has a decent cross section of their prime material...nothing like Live At Carnegie Hall though for the full blast of their combined powers.    
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 16:51
I haven't posted anything in here for quite awhile.  In an attempt to further enlighten myself as well as to bring additional discussions about new albums that haven't really been discussed I am creating a series of album discussion threads in hopes of bringing these albums additional attention, as well as to try and give both long and short-term PA forum members something different to talk about other than the same 6 or 7 bands that dominate the forums.  Anyhow, as a central place for the various discussions I will post the links here.

I hope that everyone will participate and that I am doing at least a little part to give back to the PA community.

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by rushfan4 - April 02 2010 at 12:03
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2009 at 12:49
Since I like to use Mike's ProgFreak charts when he creates them.  Here is a double list of my favorite Prog albums (1 per artist) for pre- and post- 1980.  Thanks Mike.

Edited by rushfan4 - October 08 2009 at 12:52
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2009 at 08:37

Somewhere for me to save and post all of these charts that I can prepare from Mike's website.  Here is a list of my top prog albums for 2009. 

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2009 at 07:40
This blog is a rather interesting read from my perspective, because I have very much the opposite tastes from rushfan4 - I generally don't care about traditional symphonic prog other than Yes' 1970s stuff and I liked Amon Düül 2 and Can upon first listen. Then again it looks like that's changing with him getting into Blue Öyster Cult, Jethro Tull and Uriah Heep! LOL

Anyway, I've within this year abandoned the "only 1970s and 1980s are real" mindset I used to have, and also begun exploring more and more new music though at the same time it becomes increasingly rare that I listen to new music. That said, I generally can't get much interested in new music that's marketed as progressive... the contemporary music that matches what I like in progressive rock is often filed under psychedelia or "post-rock" instead! Confused Maybe that's another reason why I care less and less about genre classifications as time goes on. Wink
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2009 at 17:27
This thread was actually one of my first reads when I joined the forum and one of the biggest reasons I stuck around in the beginning..
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2010 at 13:47
Oh wow!  A couple of posts in my blog that weren't mine, and I missed them.  LOL  Thanks guys.  The 70's and 80's were the real deal when it comes to music, but I do really like a lot of the modern bands that are assigned the progressive label.  I have been pretty fortunate in that I like most of what I have heard within the hallowed halls of bands listed within Prog Archives.  Of course, there are certainly exceptions to that rule as I have previously noted, and there is just so much here that I still have not heard and probably never will due to financial constraints, as well as the overall obscurity of many of the bands listed here.

Anyhow, I just dropped by this blog to leave another ProgFreak charted created by Mr. ProgFreak.  Interestingly, my top 200 albums of the last decade.  I'm not sure how accurate it is, and in reality I should probably tweak some of my ratings in comparison to other albums listed, but I am too lazy for that, and will play it as it lies for now.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2010 at 16:00
Thanks Rushfan4 for this blog!....I too am a huge Rush fan from back in the mid 70's. I have been around this site for a couple of years but just recently joined the forums. I would usually just look at the album lists and check out stuff from there. It takes me back to my days of spending hours in Tower Records when it was all about VINYL..Tower had an amazing import section where I could find cool stuff. I am a Zune user since day one, and the Marketplace I can find a lot of prog music for download and usually I go out and buy the vinyl if it is available or the CD (I am a vinyl cover art junkie...) I have all the Scorpions "naughty" album covers that were banned from the US, imports from Japan and West Germany.

My music life began with R&B, Funk artists like Earth Wind &Fire, Parliament/Funkadelic.....Then I bought "Fly By Night", cause a friend told me they are inspired by Zeppelin. I was hooked from there and have never looked back.
I even grew with Rush during that late 80's early 90's "weird" stuff they were doing, I never thought much of it and looking back I just chalk it up to really understanding what a band does to change with the times.

I too am trying to expand my 'progness' and am having much success. I have been a huge heavy metal fan like Scorpions, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden (and still am!!)...so I tend to like heavier prog, but not the screamo stuff....can't handle that. Anything like Dream Theater works for me very well....
I first heard Porcupine Tree "Sky Moves Sideways" and it was so awesome back in '95 I think, I just thought hmm....the futuristic Pink Floyd, dark stories and songs...very cool stuff.

I have really only been calling myself a ProgRocker for maybe the past 10 years......but I have to say it is the best genre of music out right now....2009 was a great year for Progressive Music.

Cheers all!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2010 at 16:24
Thank you Catcher10.  I'm always glad to meet the acquaintence of another fan of Rush.  Welcome to the forums. And I am definitely on the side of the prog world that thinks that 2009 was a great year for progressive music.  It is interesting reading through the forums and seeing that there is a nice split between those who thought 2009 was great and those who say that there was nothing released that they like.  I have a hard time understanding how that is possible, but to each their own when it comes to tastes.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2010 at 14:49

Thank you Catcher10.  I'm always glad to meet the acquaintence of another fan of Rush.  Welcome to the forums. And I am definitely on the side of the prog world that thinks that 2009 was a great year for progressive music.  It is interesting reading through the forums and seeing that there is a nice split between those who thought 2009 was great and those who say that there was nothing released that they like.  I have a hard time understanding how that is possible, but to each their own when it comes to tastes.
Key phrase..."nothing released that they like..." I agree to each his own as that is what music is...ART. We are judging someone elses works that thinks it is good enough for public release. Who am I to think I am better than these artists, writers and musicians to say "that new release is no good!?" I agree that sometimes you have to listen to an album over and over to finally get it and maybe even like it. I cannot think of one album I own I actually dislike, understand I said album, not artist. There are many artists I don't listen to but that is because I am not a fan of say hip-hop or electronic dance or country....so obviously I do not own any of that music genre, but I still respect that they are artists.

2009 in my opinion was an awesome year for progressive music, everything I bought I enjoy very much. I'm not a fan of reviews because large portion of the time I do not agree, especially when an album is getting trashed.......IMHO.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 13:20
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

[ There are many artists I don't listen to but that is because I am not a fan of say hip-hop or electronic dance or country....so obviously I do not own any of that music genre, but I still respect that they are artists.

That is fairly common amongst many of the posters on this site.  There have been some fairly interesting discussions regarding hip hop and country, where posters have said that there are some really interesting artists in the underground areas of these genres who are doing things that might appeal to us prog rock fans.  I haven't followed through yet and checked anything out there, because quite frankly, there is still way too much exploring to do with all of the bands listed here that I have never heard. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2010 at 18:11
I'm all for exploring.....bring it on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>