FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy Road to Prog Enlightenment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2013 at 19:45
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Currently listening to Turkish band Nemrud's second album Ritual.  It is a really enjoyable psychedelic prog album.  To a certain extent it brings to mind the sound of Pink Floyd, and more recently, Astra.  It is a short album at just over half an hour and consists of 4 tracks; the highlight being the 18 minute long title track, which ends the album.  I think that if you found Astra's The Weirding and The Black Chord to your liking, you should give Ritual a listen.  

Yup i've got that on my "to get" list Scott, I have their first one which I really enjoyed, and that's a great reference(Astra) as well.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 09:29
Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep is interesting as it is the most recent release from a band called Spock's Beard.   This is their first album with new singer, Ted Leonard, formerly (and I suppose currently) of prog metal band Enchant.  I enjoy this album well enough, but it doesn't really feel like a Spock's Beard album to me.  I am a huge fan of the Neal Morse years of the band, who are one of my gateway bands to the modern prog scene, by way of Dream Theater, Mike Portnoy, and Transatlantic.   Although disappointed that Neal left the band, the Nick D'Virgilio's switchover from the drumseat to the microphone worked well for me too, and I enjoyed the albums with him fronting the band.  I suppose that it may just take additional listens for this new album to grow on me, but for now it is lacking something.  I don't dislike it by no means, but it just seems to be lacking in Spockiness.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 09:45
Queensryche had a revolution calling or maybe it was a civil war, but at any rate on the other side emerged two Queensryches.  For the most part, I am one of the few around these parts that has enjoyed all of their albums.  The period through Hear In The Now Frontier obviously being their best period, but I also enjoyed their latter period albums as well.  Now we have two albums, with the first being the now well-documented rushed Geoff Tate led F.U. to the other band members and the second being the other band members with a new singer who sounds quite a lot like Geoff Tate.  I have read a number of reviews and comments regarding these releases and the general comments have been negative regarding Geoff Tate's release and pretty positive about the other guys' release.  For me, it is kind of a toss up.  Neither album really jumps out at me as an Operation Mindcrime/Empire type masterpiece.  End result for me is that we have two decent releases with the Queensryche name on them but neither of them have a strong wow factor.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2013 at 13:22
Don't look now but I am listening to Top of the Charts music.  The return of the Prince of Darkness and the Sabs sans Bill Ward rocked the charts upon its release earlier this year, and was well deserved as this is some excellent doom and gloom from the guys that started it all.  Black Sabbath 13 is a nice return to form providing all of the stuff that made early Sabbath the legends that they are.  If this is to be their last release it is one that they can be proud of.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2013 at 08:56
I know that it is a PA cliche to list Steven Wilson projects at the top of annual lists and for this year there is a good chance that I might follow this lead.  I really enjoy Porcupine Tree, but have to admit that I was not that big on Steven Wilson solo projects...until now.  The Raven is an album that wowed me upon first listen and it has just grown better with repeated listens.  The pacing, sound and production are all excellent on this album.  One of the highlights of this album that seems to stand out for me though is Theo Travis' flute and saxophone playing, which seem to add that extra oomph to put this album at or near the top of my albums of the year list for 2013.  
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2013 at 17:47
I hit pause on my iPod for about 15 minutes and then hit play.  After a few minutes of listening I had to ask myself which Genesis album was this again.  Oh yeah, it is Sound of Contact and the singer is Phil Collins' son.  LOL  He has a pretty similar voice to his more famous father.  Their debut album Dimensionaut was quite the conversationalist piece earlier in the year upon its release.  The band was actually going to perform at a bar in my general neck of the woods, but the show ended up being cancelled due to Visa issues.  Too bad Harry Reid wasn't a fan, he could of got the Visas for them.  Anyhow, this is a great debut album for those of us that are fans of "comfort" prog.  Probably not as appealing for those that are looking for wild and weird adventures.  Pale Blue Dot is kind of the "hit" song from this release and tells a story about earth from space.  The highlight for prog fans is the 19+ minute closing track Möbius Slip
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2013 at 09:38
News from earlier this year that Andy Tillison had disbanded The Tangent came as quite sad news.  News that the now re-formed more economically sound version of the band was releasing the album Le Sacre Du Travail was much better news.  This album is/was musically formed around Stravinsky's Rites of Spring and tells the story of a day in the life of a working stiff aka today's Tom Sawyer.  Multiple references to Rush automatically adds a star to this album for me.  LOL  I have been a big fan of The Tangent's albums from the beginning.  I find this one to be not quite as good as their earlier albums but still quite enjoyable..and I find that it is still growing on me, which is generally a good sign.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2013 at 12:13
If your the type of person who likes their music the way they like their coffee, with lots of sludge, than Earthless is the band for you.  Their latest album titled From The Ages clocks in at 66 minutes, with the title track clocking in at over half an hour and nary a word is spoken.  This is old school psychedelic in an Ash Ra Tempel meets Black Sabbath kind of way.  Strictly a guitar bass drum trio they play the type of face melting heavy rock that is sure to appeal to those prog fans who don't mind getting their ears a bit dirty while they listen.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2014 at 13:05
The last couple of days I have been listening to albums on the Prog Archives 2013 playlist on Spotify created by Andy Webb and I have been finding some wonderful albums.  Not A Good Sign's self-titled debut; Airbag's The Greatest Show On Earth; Amplifier's Echo Street; some RPI with Ingranaggi Della Valle's In Hoc Signo; and Sky Architect's A Billion Years of Solitude.  I am currently listening to Argentina's Jinetes Negros album Tawa Sarira.  They are listed here as Prog Metal, but this album is not really metal and is highly eclectic.  So far it is an excellent listen that is trying really hard to muscle its way into my top 10 for the year.  I have enjoyed so many albums this year.  It really is going to be difficult to narrow them down to a top 10 for the year. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2014 at 10:37
The new release from Manning "The Root, The Leaf & The Bone" is really good.  With his voice and the use of flute it can inevitably compared to Jethro Tull.  However, they also include fiddles, saxophone, mandolin, banjo, trumpet, violin, a diddlybow, and on track 3, Autumn Song, Chloe Herrington from Knifeworld adds some bassoon.  It is quite accessible and yet also quite eclectic.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2014 at 08:24
For anyone who may happen to wonder, here is my top 10 list as submitted for the Collaborator list:

1 Steven Wilson The Raven
2 Moon Safari Himlabacken Vol. 1
3 Exivious Liminal
4 The Flower Kings Desolation Rose
5 Jinetes Negros Tawa Sarira
6 Fromuz Sodom and Gomorrah
7 Manning The Root, The Leaf & The Bone
8 Nemo Le Ver Dans Le Fruit
9 Spock's Beard Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep
10 The Tangent Le Sacre Du Travail

Only numbers 1 and 9 made the Collab list but a number on the Collab list made my next 10.  Overall I found 2013 to be an excellent year for music.  I listened to nearly 100 new prog releases for 2013 and aside from the ones that were overtaken by the Satanic Cookie Monster I really enjoyed most of them and even then those releases had many redeeming qualities.  Here's to 2014 and hopefully another year of great music releases. 

Edited by rushfan4 - February 01 2014 at 08:35
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:56
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I haven't posted anything in here for quite awhile.  In an attempt to further enlighten myself as well as to bring additional discussions about new albums that haven't really been discussed I am creating a series of album discussion threads in hopes of bringing these albums additional attention, as well as to try and give both long and short-term PA forum members something different to talk about other than the same 6 or 7 bands that dominate the forums.  Anyhow, as a central place for the various discussions I will post the links here.

I hope that everyone will participate and that I am doing at least a little part to give back to the PA community.

Thanks,

Scott
After a few years of inactivity I have decided to give this another shot with a new album recommendation.  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=99553&PID=5043594#5043594

I hope that this message at least introduces one person to some previously unheard of before gem.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 16:43
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 15:38
I think my next purchase may well be Skye. I have been tempted after reading positive reviews.

As ever, Scott, your recommendation rather confirms it.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2016 at 05:10
What I listened to from 2015

Edited by rushfan4 - March 09 2016 at 05:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345