FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy Road to Prog Enlightenment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2007 at 19:49
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Hi Evans,  Actually the Can album that I have is Future Days.  I also have Anthology which is a two disc set.  I haven't listened to either in quite awhile so I don't recall what it was about them that I didn't like, or maybe it was it just didn't grab my attention.  That is the same issue that I have had with GY!BE.  Not enough action.  Or probably not enough patience on my part.  At any rate I should definitely give these some more listens to see if my tastes have changed at all.

Thank you for the advice.
Well, in my case, it is not so much the music of Godspeed as the mood. They're masters of mood and ambience. Thing is, though, that since the mood of the music is pretty bleak, i only listen to them whenever i am in the same mood myself. I rarely listen to both Led Zeppelin and Godspeed in the same day :)

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2007 at 16:38
Maybe it is the bleakness that I dislike about GY!BE  Not really sure.  I am sure that part of it is that I am not as "adventurous" as some prog fans.  Another limitation that I have is that I do prefer vocals/lyrics with most of my music.  If I am listening to instrumental music I like it to be lively.  I suppose that much of the instrumental music that I do like is music that would not be out of place with lyrics and a vocalist.  I know that there are some "words" included with GY!BE music but it isn't really singing.  Well, with winter fast approaching I suspect that I will experience some moments of bleakness as cabin fever sets in.  Maybe that will be the time to break GY!BE out again.  Also, I haven't heard Yanqui yet, and I saw in another thread where some said that this was their best work. 
kenmartree View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 01:34
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

What is the difference between a well-crafted pop song and a poorly-crafted prog song?

I will offer this definition of pop in order to get people thinking about what they mean when they refer to pop.

If you can whistle it and it still sounds ok even though it obviously lacks all of the nuances of the recording, then you are whisting pop (or God help you, country!!!)

My friends and I used to practice whisting Brain Salad Surgery back in the 70s so that must be pop!
Kim Ankara View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 14:22
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Beavis and Butthead is probably the last time that I regularly watched MTV.

MTV was never the same after it went off.

Not to derail this great thread, but over here we still get Beavis and Butthead on satellite TV.Smile

"I'm a dinosaur" - Adrian Belew

"I am a camera" - Trevor Horn

"I am yourself" - Keith Emerson
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 18:16
I have been trying to think of something new and interesting to add to this blog and figured that I would start by typing just that.  Of course there are those of you who might say "why start now?".   It has been kind of an interesting week with the changes that were made to the PA home page with the blogs being added and shown near the top of the page.  I think this blog went from 150 views in the first two weeks to 450 views in the two to three days that it was listed at the top.  But of all those views there were only 2 posts.  I imagine that many of the views stopped as soon as they saw how long my initial post was.  I was really hoping for some new responses which would give me new ideas for posting, but instead I suppose that I will have to be "original" and come up with something new (and hopefully interesting).

I have spent most of the past week or two exploring more "obscure" prog bands within the genres that I am most comfortable with.  From eMusic, I downloaded Posthumous Silence from Sylvan, Grayceon from Grayceon, Lady of the Light and Sound of the Apocalypse from Black Bonzo, Dawn on Pyther from Project Creation, Mirror from Blind Ego and the first two albums from Beardfish.  I also broke out a pack of Camel(s) and listened to some of their compilations that I own. 

In regards to Sylvan, I had already downloaded their other 3 albums and I had really enjoyed them, but the word on the PA street is that Posthumous Silence is their best.  I really enjoyed it but I don't really see how it is that much better than the others.  Again, I guess I just don't have the ear for the nuances that so many of you seem to have.  Maybe it is because I heard Presets and Posthumous Silence out of order.  I really like Presets alot, but I suppose that it is not that much different from Posthumous Silence so it loses marks for "progressing". 

Grayceon is actually a very nice find as well.  I believe that I owe thanks to Prog-Jester for mentioning them multiple times in multiple threads.  Definitely one of the best new bands of 2007. 

Black Bonzo has also been quite a treat.  I think that their epic Sound of the Apocalypse may be one of the best unknown epic prog songs of 2007.  I was pleased with the sound of most of this album as well as their earlier album Lady of the Light.  If you want a more in depth discussion regarding them see Erik Neuteboom's lesser known prog band thread. 

Project Creation's Dawn on Pyther is an album in the traditional prog metal vein.  It is album two of a four album project. There is a nice intermixing of male and female prog vocals.  Their website says that they are a supergroup from Portugal.  I am not familiar with the source bands and have not heard the first album yet.  I haven't listened to this album that closely yet in order to get an understanding of the concept, but it sounds intriguing.

It seems that Neo-prog is one of the least popular sub-genres on PA, but it is one of my favorites.  I believe that the blurb said that Mirror from Blind Ego was a project including John Mitchell from Arena and Kino fame so that immediately piqued my interest. It is actually a side project of Kalle Wallner from RPWL and a bit of a prog supergroup including John Mitchell, John Jowitt from IQ, Paul Wrightson of Arena, and Tommy Eberhardt of Beatfreaks (I'm not familiar with them).  As is the case with much Neo-prog there is nothing outstandingly fresh or new on this album, but it provides me with exactly what I want from listening to Neo-prog music.  Inside-the-box prog-by-numbers with nice instrumental playing and nice easy listening vocals.

Beardfish's latest album was released on the InsideOut Music label and since I am a bit of a completionist with InsideOut Music this was a no-brainer for me.  This latest album had some really nice music but also some music that was harder for me to get into (which probably what makes it appealing to others).  I believe I read a post from Micky talking about their previous albums and having seen them at one of the prog festivals, so I was pretty excited when I saw the first two albums listed on eMusic.  The first album has been playing in my car's CD player nonstop for the last week and a half.  Grant it I only drive about a 1/2 hour per day so that means I have only listened to it 3 or 4 times, but it have been an enjoyable listen.  There are a couple of songs that are sung in Swedish, which sound really nice, but lose points with me since I have no idea what is being sung.  For most who don't care about lyrics anyways I know that this is not a problem, but for me it is still a hang-up.  I am working to get over it though slowly but surely.  I haven't actually listened to their second album yet, but that will probably make it into the car by the weekend as a replacement for the 1st album. 

My re-excursion into Camel didn't have any new revelations.  They are a good band with some nice music, but mostly too mellow for my tastes, which is sort of weird because I tend to like softer music than many on this site but somehow most of their music is too soft for me.  A couple of the instrumentals on The Snow Goose are excellent but otherwise it doesn't really connect with me.  I definitely need to pick up a couple of their earlier albums however because that seems to be where the best magic can be found.

As part of my road to prog enlightenment for those of you who might find this thread of interest I felt it might be interesting to share with you my thoughts on some of these bands that I have been recently listening to.  I am definitely not going to turn this into an obscure band thread as guys like Erik and Avestin already do a great job with that. 

I might eventually get around to actually posting reviews for some of these albums here on PA.  I am not very good at that yet though.  I can tell you that it is my opinion that an album is good or bad or that I like this song or that song, but I kind of like doing a song by song review and getting really comfortable with an album before I actually review it, and of course that takes lots of time.  Also not being a musician I can't write those informative reviews that tell you there is an awesome 13/2 rhythm with a pentatonic guitar riff and a sweet classical hammond solo; I am limited to saying I really like the drums and guitar work and the songs sounds really good. 

Yesterday, I paid a return visit to Rush's R30 Anniversary concert.  Of course Rush are always welcome in my CD player and sometimes it is nice to return to the comfort zone. 

Hopefully, those of you that made it this far found something interesting in this post.  Comments are always welcome as they help me to formulate new ideas as well as get me to listen to new or old things (such as Camel).  On the other hand, I know I should just go back to the Just for Fun area of the site since I am somewhat capable of posting there in a reasonable manner.  Keep on progging and thank you for riding along on my road to prog enlightenment. 

Edited by rushfan4 - December 06 2007 at 18:20
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2007 at 22:39
Well I have spent most of my time here over the past ten days since my last post hanging out in the Just for Fun area of this site.  The blogs regarding Gong and the Canterbury scene are far more interesting than anything that I really have to say on the subject of prog music, so if you haven't read them yet, I suggest that you do so.

It is ten days until Christmas day and I am certain that there are many progsters who are eagerly awaiting opening their Christmas packages and finding brand new progressive rock albums/CDs to listen to from either their favorite bands or new bands that they would like to discover.    And as the Christmas song goes "It is the most wonderful time of the year."  I, like most progsters, have provided my friends and family with a list of multiple CDs that I would like to hear.  Also, like most progsters I have a list a mile long of all of the CDs that I haven't heard yet but of course want to hear, so my list includes only some CDs that I think that they might actually be able to find.  But of course I get the common remark "What do you need more CDs for?  You already have so many.  You can't possibly listen to all of them."  All true statements, but they just don't understand the prog addiction.  Alas, what is a prog fan to do?  Since I don't have much of anything interesting to say today I'll keep this blog entry relatively short.  That is my Christmas gift to you.

I will end it with wishes of happiness and joy to my fellow PA members and family during this holiday season.  I hope that everyone has a happy holiday no matter how they celebrate it and hopefully you all get to spend good quality time with friends, family and other loved ones.  Merry Christmas.   

Edited by rushfan4 - December 15 2007 at 22:40
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2007 at 23:29
Very cool to read about your musical exploration. And don't worry that you like music that many trash.If you were older and grew up on GENESIS and YES,you would probably be horrified at their eighties output too. I got into music in the late seventies and was turned onto GENESIS from the song on the radio "Follow You Follow Me' from "And Then There Were Three" record.My first GENESIS purchase was "Duke" followed by their self titled album which i still like.Again it's because it was part of my youth and i liked it back then,that hasn't changed.When i got into their earlier classic albums it became quite clear why most don't like their eighties stuff. RUSH is my favourite band and i have to admit when "Signals" came out i enede up throwing it into my glove compartment of my car frustrated at their new sound, and at my not being able to get into it. I didn't give up though,and grew to really like it. I can't say that about late eighties RUSH though.Hey the most enjoyable thing about prog is finding new favourite bands and albums.Keep on exploring.Check out some Zeuhl too you might be surprised at how accessible a lot of it is.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2008 at 01:45
Hi, I read your opinions on the Trevor Rabin led Yes. One thing that should be clarified is that the 90125 band was called Cinema. This was (then) a new project by the Yes men left in that band (such as it was by 1983) and then the record company which prompted the Yes banner.

Thus comes the conflict between art and commerce. Owner Of A Lonely Heart (a very good pop / rock tune) would have been a hit anyway. What then would have happened to Yes? Perhaps the Trevor detractors may then be saying they should have called the band Yes... who knows. But 80s Yes was different; it was a reinvention and re-package.

IMHO the most dramatic / traumatic thing in prog rock in 79 /80 was Jon Anderson leaving Yes. Had he not left Asia may not have happened (no Howe), the consequences of this action informed the whole 80s prog / pop rock collision. IMHO. That and the whole media / punk / fashion / conformist thing...
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 18:38
Originally posted by sinkadotentree sinkadotentree wrote:

Very cool to read about your musical exploration. And don't worry that you like music that many trash.If you were older and grew up on GENESIS and YES,you would probably be horrified at their eighties output too. I got into music in the late seventies and was turned onto GENESIS from the song on the radio "Follow You Follow Me' from "And Then There Were Three" record.My first GENESIS purchase was "Duke" followed by their self titled album which i still like.Again it's because it was part of my youth and i liked it back then,that hasn't changed.When i got into their earlier classic albums it became quite clear why most don't like their eighties stuff. RUSH is my favourite band and i have to admit when "Signals" came out i enede up throwing it into my glove compartment of my car frustrated at their new sound, and at my not being able to get into it. I didn't give up though,and grew to really like it. I can't say that about late eighties RUSH though.Hey the most enjoyable thing about prog is finding new favourite bands and albums.Keep on exploring.Check out some Zeuhl too you might be surprised at how accessible a lot of it is.

Thank you for the kind words sinkadotentree.  I find your comments to be quite interesting.  I really find that bands walk a double-edged sword when it comes to later albums.  Once you have created a
masterpiece it is darn near impossible to follow up with another one.  As you might recall there was a thread a couple of months ago that discussed how many bands seemed to have eras where they were living in the world of masterliness for 5 consecutive albums.  This seemed to apply to all of the major classic bands as well as some of the more recent bands.  But the albums before and after these 5 albums just did not live up to this masterliness, and in many instances are severely panned because of that, despite the fact in many instances (but not all) the material is still pretty fantastic. 

Back to the double edged sword.  A band can create a second album in the same vein as the first album and they might get away with it if it is really good, but there will be some critics who dislike it for the sameliness.  If they do a third album like this they are written off as being too formulaic.  On the other hand, if they create a second album that is entirely different than the first album, there will be some who are thrilled at how they retained their progressiveness and how creative they were with the second, but there will be many more who dislike them because they are no longer the band that they fell in love with with the first album. 

Back to my personal situation (the point of this blog) and to your comment (the point of this post), the music that I fell in love with from bands like Genesis, Rush, and Yes is the music from the 80's and 90's.  I like this music as much or more than their earlier music.  It is the reverse of those who first heard the 70's music and dislike the 80's music.  I think mostly because of (1) familiarity and (2) childhood associations to the music.  I am certainly not dissing the music from the 70's because it is very good.  Since I am not a musician, I do not see many of the differences in the complexity of the music that the musicians see.  Grant it, it doesn't take a genius to see that Firth of Fifth is far more complex than Invisible Touch.  I am still working on my appreciation of early Genesis.  I like a lot of the pre-Lamb music, but Peter Gabriel's voice hasn't grown on me yet.  I like his voice much better during his solo period.  I like parts of the Lamb, but not all of it.  What I find funny about my tastes is that I could not stand Phil Collins in the 80's when I was listening almost exclusively to heavy metal, but you couldn't help but hear Phil Collins' or 80's Genesis music on the radio or the TV because it was everywhere.  In my case, as I got older my tastes mellowed some and now I really like Phil Collins' solo and 80's Genesis.  I do agree to state the obvious however that the Phil Collins version is quite different than the Peter Gabriel version.  But there is nothing wrong with liking both versions. 

I tend to be a completionist both in collecting and listening.  Once I find a band whose sound I like I tend to collect it all, and like it all.  I find that for bands where I don't like their later material, I generally didn't really care for their earlier material all that much either.  I seriously can't think of any bands at the moment where I really liked their earlier material and can't stand their newer material.  I'll have to think on that more and come back and edit this post later when I think of somebody, because I am sure they have to be out there somewhere. 

My favorite music is the music from prog bands, but it is not necessarily their proggiest music.  Again probably the nonmusician in me.  I suppose that I tend to like well-crafted pop and rock songs.  I can't stand rap or hip-hop.  I can't stand bubblegum pop.  I can't stand country music, although the Devil Went Down to Georgia is a pretty awesome song.  I am not a big fan of the blues, for which I find too much sameiness, but that could be as an uninformed listener.  I love symphonic rock, prog and metal, but I am not that keen on classical music, which I find mostly boring, although I generally like the heavy metal classical songs (mostly those covered by prog and metal bands).  I am not that big of a fan of jazz music, but again I tend to like "acid" jazz.  Not sure exactly how that is defined, but basically that means heavy metal jazz bands. 

I listened to the samples on PA from Magma again.  Great musicianship, but the vocals are quite irritating.  I haven't quite learned yet how to treat vocals as another instrument.  Maybe some day.  On a plus side, I did sample some Guru Guru and Henry Cow and I was quite impressed with what little I heard.  eMusic has a whole bunch of their albums on there and I am seriously considering doing some further investigating.  The write-up on one of the Guru Guru albums mentions that the album sounds like they were going through a Rush phase, so I think that one will definitely be an upcoming download. 

Thanks for the inspiration.  Sorry for the delay in responding as I was waiting for my muse to return from sabbatical.  I should probably do another post soon to discuss all of the new bands that I have been listening to and really enjoying lately and I am suspecting that post will probably have more to say (hopefully good) about Guru Guru and Henry Cow. 

Edited by rushfan4 - January 17 2008 at 18:42
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2008 at 19:24

Since this is my blog, I decided to fill it with additional useless information.  I was perusing the different subgenre key albums to see where I stand within the various subgenres.  There was a separate thread a couple of month back regarding being a subgenre completionist.  I had a general post there, but wanted to explore this a bit further within the various subgenres.

Progressive Metal - 19 out of 20 key albums; the only one that I don't have is Kamelot's Black Halo.  I'm not familiar with them at all.

Prog-Related - 13 out of 20 key albums.  Go figure that the second most popular category for me would be a non-prog category.

Proto-Prog - 12 out of 20 key albums.  And of course, the third most popular category would be the other non-prog category.

Heavy Prog - 11 out of 20.  Mostly Rush.  This is one of my favorite subgenres and yet I don't have too many of the top albums.  Room for exploration. Clap Although 4 of the ones that I am missing are Anekdoten and I don't know that I will be able to get my grubby paws on any of those. 

Eclectic Prog - 11 out of 20 key albums.  I guess that this really isn't my category.  It is dominated by King Crimson, Gentle Giant, and Van der Graaf Generator.  Probably my least favorite of the classic prog era.  GG & VDGG are both relatively new listens for me.  GG has grown on me some.  VDGG hasn't yet, but I will keep trying.  KC has both good and bad phases.  I'm not as big into their improvisation years as others.  I tend to prefer the early Bruford years to any other era of KC.

Symphonic Prog - 10 out of 20.  Another category where many of my favorite bands are, and yet I only have half of the key albums.  Exploration is so much fun.  Clap

Neo-Prog - 9 out of 20.  Another of my favorite subgenres.  And yes more exploration. Clap.  Unfortunately, some of the top albums like Nexus and Triangle don't seem to be available anywhere.  Possibly with Greg Walker where I suppose I could check.

Prog folk - 8 out of 20.  Really I just dabble here, but since this is the home of Jethro Tull, The Strawbs, and Traffic that means I have 8 of the top 20 albums here.

Psychedelic Space Rock - 7 out of 20. 5 Pink Floyd and 2 Oceansize.  Otherwise I know very little from this subgenre (excluding some Hawkwind and the early era of Porcupine Tree).

Crossover Prog - 5 out of 20 key albums.  This is somewhat surprising because I like a lot of the bands that are listed, but I guess I just haven't discovered the key albums yet.

Experimental Post Metal - 3 out of 20 key albums.  The only 3 that I have are Tool's Lateralus, Dead Soul Tribe's A Muder of Crows, and OSI's Office of Strategic Intelligence.  I will definitely be getting Dead Soul Tribe's A Lullaby for the Devil and maybe a couple of others, but the rest of the bands don't interest me too much.

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal - 3 out of 20 key albums.  I have 2 of the Opeth (Not Ghost Reveries) and Nothingface from Voivod.  I like Opeth's music but can't stand the death metal vocals (as I have made known way too many times).  I do like some of Voivod's output but not all of it.  The only other band that I have heard and they were OK, was Psychotic Waltz. 

Jazz/fusion - 3 out of 20.  This isn't surprising since I only dabble here.  1 Mahavishnu album, 1 Bill Bruford album, and 1 Derek Sherinian album (the latter 2 mainly because of their associations with other bands).

Canterbury - 3 out of 20.  I like Caravan. 

Post Rock/Math Rock - 2 out of 20. I have 2 GY!BE albums.  I don't really like them very much though.

Krautrock - 2 out of 20. I have 1 from Amon Duul and 1 from Can.  I don't really like these very much either. 

RIO/Avant - 2 out of 20.  I have 1 from Frank Zappa and 1 from Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.  Both are OK but not really my cup of tea. I will probably further explore Mr. Zappa however, since he is so highly regarded on PA, and it is said that his sound covers so many different arenas I am bound to find at least some good stuff from him.  I will further explore some of the threads that were dedicated to discovering some good Frank Zappa, although I think that at least 1 PA member mentioned each of his 1 gazillion albums so I don't know how useful that will be. LOL

I have nothing from the other 3 subgenres Indo-Prog/Raga Prog; Italian; or Zeuhl.  I'll probably explore the Italian prog further just because the streaming on this site that I listened to sounded interesting.  The other two categories will probably long be ignored by me however.

Other than the traditional prog metal and the non prog categories I have much exploring to do amongst the various subgenre key albums.  And of course much more room for prog enlightenment.

well, one thing seems to be sure: we are from the opposite side of the spectrum. my favorite genres are Kraut, Avant/Rio and Eclectic. Canterbury and Jazz/fusion are high on my list too. and of course Zeuhl.
oh, and I almost forgot Space. definitely a favorite of mine too

Edited by BaldJean - January 17 2008 at 19:26

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2008 at 14:16
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

well, one thing seems to be sure: we are from the opposite side of the spectrum. my favorite genres are Kraut, Avant/Rio and Eclectic. Canterbury and Jazz/fusion are high on my list too. and of course Zeuhl.
oh, and I almost forgot Space. definitely a favorite of mine too

That is one of the things that makes this site so interesting.  Interacting with people who like progressive music like I do, and yet as narrow as the genre tag might be in the realm of pop music, the music and individual tastes are so diverse.  Having read many posts from yourself and BaldFriede I have no doubt that our tastes are on opposite sides of the progressive spectrum.  I knew that the first time one of you had a negative post regarding Neil Peart and/or Rush. LOL Unfortunately for me, many of the bands/artists that you mention are bands and artists that I have never even heard of, let alone been exposed to.  I am also quite sure that there is some wonderful music in the categories that are your favorites which I have yet to have been exposed to.  I think that you would at least be pleased to know that I have yet to create a "who is the best "bassist" "drummer", "keyboardist"" poll and exclude Mani Neumeier, Christian Vander, Jannick Top, etc...  I am not familiar with these artists, but I feel your pain for their exclusion from these type polls.  As I mentioned in my last post, I am interested in exploring Guru Guru after hearing the samples on PA.  I believe that I have you and BaldFriede to thank for creating an interest in them.  No guarantees that I am going to like them, but the samples were definitely quite promising.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2008 at 10:05
I am not a religious person, and I am certainly not a Catholic, but in light of this Easter season, I have a confession to make.  I really like rock ballads.   (Somebody please talk the guy in the Meshuggah t-shirt down from the ledge). 

I don't really know why that is, but I always have.  If you have read my previous posts, it probably doesn't come as all that much of a surprise since my leanings tend to be more towards the poppier sides of prog, but I still find it interesting that there are so many songs that have been done by prog and non-prog artists that I really enjoy, that are written off as filler or sellouts by the posters on this site. 

First off, is rock ballad an oxymoron like jumbo shrimp or military intelligence?  Can a ballad be rock, or by definition are they two separate and distinct things? 

One of the reasons that I find it interesting that I really like rock ballads is that I don't really listen to easy listening music all that much.  There are certainly artists that perform nothing but ballads, but I can't think of any at this time, and I can't think of any that I listen to on a regular basis, if at all.  But I suspect that if you were to list a bunch of names, I might be able to go down the list and say I don't really like that artist to most or all of them.  That being said, I still really like rock ballads.  Why is this?  Is it because of the general contrast from the rest of the artist's album?  After being bombasted for 45 minutes of nonstop double bass drum and guitar shredding and vocal gymnastics, is 4 minutes of acoustic guitar with a clean singing voice the proverbial port in the storm? 

Although they probably weren't the first and despite the overwhelming exposure to this song, most would agree that Led Zeppelin set the bar pretty high for rock ballads with Stairway to Heaven.  Pretty much since this point in time, the rock ballad has been a prerequisite to completing a rock album (not necessarily a prog album, but quite often a prog album as well). 

Being a heavy metal fan from the 80's, rock ballads were something that these bands did really well.  Again, I realize being on a prog forum, rock ballad translates for some reason to cheesy filler.  But to me, rock ballads might be where some bands or musicians do their best work.  For one, I have always liked the sound of the acoustic guitar and that usually gets pulled out for the rock ballads.  Secondly, at times this is when bands sometimes write their best lyrics.  Quite possibly because they are singing slower and cleaner and are therefore easier to understand so they have to make sure the lyrics sound better then when they are screaming and the vocals are drowned out by the double drum bass and shredding guitar.  

I am not a musician.  I can't play a guitar or keyboard or drums.  When I hear a rock ballad, I think that whenever I actually get around to learning an instrument, that is something that I could play.   I will use a baseball analogy to try and explain this phenomenon as to why I might like rock ballads whereas others here don't.  Baseball pitchers can throw fastballs at 90+ miles per hour, and major league hitters are able to hit them with relative ease.  Sort of like a shredfest, musicians can keep up with the shredfest, whereas I am "the batter that stood there like the house by the side of the road" (Ernie Harwell, Detroit Tigers Broadcaster).  The rock ballad is sort of like the equivalent of a knuckleball.  Knuckleball pitches are generally in the 60 mile an hour range.  Major league batters have all kinds of problems hitting knuckleball pitchers, because their timing is gauged for a 90 mile an hour fastball, not a 60 mile per hour pitch.  Major league hitters look like the batters on a Bugs Bunny cartoon with 3 swings on one pitch and their struck out.  For me, a 60 mile an hour pitch is right about my speed, and I always think that the Tigers should sign me up for the one or two games a year that they face a knuckleball pitcher, because that is right about my speed. (Reality is I probably couldn't hit a 60 mile an hour knuckleball either, but I like to think that I can).

To bring this post back to prog, the "romantic" in me does like the love ballads that are sung by prog and heavy metal artists, but what I really like are the dare I say, non-love ballads (or at least more abstract love ballads).  Songs like Lucky Man from ELP.  Songs like Closer to the Heart and Nobody's Hero from Rush and Turn of the Century and Wonderous Stories and others from Yes.  I am sure that you all have those types of songs from your favorite bands that you like. 

To tie this in to my blog, to a certain extent, these type songs were the ones that were played on the radio (sellouts) and therefore were sometimes the first songs that I heard from these bands and they therefore had some affect in drawing me in to the various bands.  Once in the prog spider's web I looked around and enjoyed the music and other "strands" of progressive music that made up the web. 

I think that Opeth is a band that many can relate this phenomenon to.  They're heavy.  They're light.  They growl.  They sing.  They shred.  They play acoustic. And that is all in the first song or maybe first stanza.  I have seen many a post where the posters have said that it is these contrasts within songs and within albums that makes them like Opeth so much.  Personally, I still have a hang-up with the growl singing, but I can see what appeals to others with Opeth because of these contrasts.  I just tend to prefer the port in the storm over the storm when it comes to them.

Anyhow, what thinks the kind folks of progland?  Audience participation would be greatly appreciated, but please keep the "ballads suck" posts to a minimum.  I would really like to have an intelligent discussion regarding this because I would like to get a better understanding of the appeal of these type of songs, but I also appreciate that there are those of you who can't stand these type of songs because they are "filler" or "sellouts", but if you have some intelligent comments regarding why these will also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.  And please don't take my Prog Rock Fan card away from me, because I like the pomp and bombast areas of prog as well, it is just that I sometimes find myself unusual on this site for liking the ballads also.

Edited by rushfan4 - March 18 2008 at 10:15
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 16:03
As a part of my Road to Prog Enlightenment in the past month and a half I have created a bunch of goofy polls to discuss bands listed in Prog Archives that are rarely talked about.  I have gotten some good feedback from many and learned about some of these bands, but there is still room for additional knowledge.  The point of this post is to bring a link to all of these related threads into one place to make it easier for myself (and hopefully others) to search out these threads which sank quite quickly to the dark bowels of prog archives where all threads eventually go.  Hopefully, this will be helpful and maybe create additional interest in these threads, and these lesser known bands.

Share Your Knowledge - Food Related Bands Pt 1 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47235
Share Your Knowledge - Food Related Bands Pt 2 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47236
Prog Gone Wild Life-Have Yourself a Fifth - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48709&PN=1

Edited by rushfan4 - May 16 2008 at 23:25
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2008 at 16:06
oh yes.... I owe those threads a visit...  you posted those when I was hiatus from the forum... was either banned or busy.. one of the two. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 01:57
Well, it has been almost 2 months since I visited this blog, and almost 4 months since I have written an actual post that included my thoughts.  Not that that has stopped me from sharing my thoughts in numerous other threads.  Anyhow, as I sit here watching the companion DVD to Ayreon's 01001001 (or whatever the numbers are) I thought that I would once again splatter these pages with my ramblings of a mad man.  What have I been up to?  Thank you for asking.  Well let's see.  I attended a Rush concert earlier this month, where I quite enjoyed myself.  I attended the show with a buddy of mine that I attended high school with way back in the days of hair metal and new wave and Hold Your Fire, Presto, and Big Generator.  My 20th year high school reunion is this year so nostalgia for my youth, I suppose, has led me to track down some of my old friends from high school. It was my buddy's first Rush concert.  He wasn't a fan back when I first knew him, so I was surprised when I asked him if he would like to go to the concert, he said yes.  Although, he certainly didn't become a fan boy like me, he had purchased Exit..Stage Left, which he said that he really liked, and had therefore been meaning to explore them further.  Anyhow, he seemed to really enjoy the show, and he said afterwards that he did, so overall it was a great experience.

I also had purchased tickets to see Yes for next month, but unfortunately, as you all know, the tour had to be cancelled due to Jon Anderson's health issues.  Hopefully, Jon fully recovers, and someday they come around and tour again.  I recall once watching an interview in which they talked about passing on the family business to their children, so maybe one day Yes, Jr., will come around with all of the Anderson, Wakeman, and Howe, etc children playing the songs of their fivefathers, and maybe some new material of
comparable style and quality. 

None of the above listed polls managed to generate enough negative interest to get closed, so they are still open and available for further input from anyone who feels like exploring the threads and sharing some info on the various bands.  I haven't explored as many of the bands from those threads as I would like, but I do try to keep my eyes and ears open for these bands so that I can explore them further.  Bands from these lists that I have purchased CDs and explored further are Blue Shift, Fond of Tigers, Yak, Arachnoid, Tea for Two, The Strawbs (I previously knew some, but I have explored further), Nektar, and Pineapple Thief.  Check the poll threads for my thoughts on these various bands (at least most of them I have thrown a blurb or two in regarding my listening experiences.  Edit: I missed some other bands that I have checked out some songs from that were included in those threads: Brother Ape, Super Furry Animals, Art Bears, Skywhale, Unicorn, Nightingale, Zebra, and Zzebra.

I happened to be up at the local Target one day and saw Protest the Hero's Fortress album and having seen them discussed here I decided to purchase it on the spot.  After all, it is a rare occasion when one finds a prog band in a nonspecialty CD store.  I am generally a fan of prog metal, but less so of the experimental and technical metal side of things.  At times they sounded quite good, but mostly I was turned off by the vocal delivery.  I also didn't particularly care for the lyrics once I sat down to give them a listen.  Those that are familiar with my posts regarding Opeth know that I have this odd aversion to harsh vocals.  (At least it seems to be odd here on PA). 

I also finally got around to listening to the Satellite trilogy.  What a great band they are.  I truly enjoyed all 3 albums.  Must be that I am a fan of drummer lyricists.  This band definitely receives a very high recommendation from me. Warning:  Before rushing out to buy these albums read the rest of my blog to understand my tastes and where I am coming from.  As good as I find these albums, I suspect that they won't appeal to fans of RIO/Avant or highly experimental music.  After all, I believe that Satellite is categorized as Neo on PA or retro prog and from my readings on this forum this only seems to appeal to a minority of us. 

Oh well, I suppose that I have wasted enough internet space for one post.  As always, please feel free to provide me with comments or suggestions.

Edited by rushfan4 - June 28 2008 at 12:01
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 06:54
you are right Scott.... it is so rare to find prog in non-specialty music stores.  Which may be a good thing. at least for me... I am an inpulse buyer...  and if I 'see' something I like...  I'll buy it. Ordering things is a bit more deliberate.. which again.. it a good thing.  LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 07:37
^ emusic.com is a good online store for impulse buyers ... you get monthly download credits for your money, and if you see a track/album you like then you can download it with one click.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 08:50

Yes. emusic.com has a good selection of progressive music and I believe with certain memberships the price per song is much better than iTunes.  I don't think that eMusic has much in Italian prog though.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 08:53
I do not like mp3 copies of albums...  sort of old school that I like having a 'hard' copy of an album.  Never been into downloading.. legal.. or otherwise.  Though Napster is the best 10 bucks a month I'll ever spend.  It's like having a Barnes and Noble in your living room when you have a wild hair to hear something off  the wall 

Edited by micky - June 28 2008 at 08:55
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2008 at 09:00
I'm still fairly old school as well, as I have mostly "hard" copies.  Although I have an iPod, and I have been using it more and more as a way to listen to music, I still burn the albums that I download to a CD-R and that way I can play it in CD players.  I usually print the album covers with the song listings to include in a slim case with the CD so I have that information.  Not always, but sometimes when I am particularly interested, I will track down the lyrics on-line and I'll print those to keep with the CD too.  Obviously, it is not quite the same as having the booklets with all of the artwork and the liner notes, etc... but it is an OK substitute. 

Edited by rushfan4 - July 08 2008 at 14:48
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>