Topic ClosedGavin Harrison officially joining King Crimson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2007 at 18:50
Originally posted by Harry Hood Harry Hood wrote:

Originally posted by Guillermo Guillermo wrote:

Well...I expected to read that "Adrian Belew left King Crimson to be a full time solo musician". For me, good news could be a Reunion of the original line-up, or a new line-up without Belew. So, I`m not interested to listen to this band with Belew. "More of the same".Sleepy

The original lineup with Greg Lake? You couldn't pay me to see them perform with that fat miserable old b*****d.

I think they've done their best work with Belew. Fripp knows what he's doing, he wouldn't be around as long as he has if Fripp didn't feel he was good enough.  The new drummer isn't one I would have chosen, but I'm going to try to trust Fripp's judgement on this as well.

I never have listened to Porcupine Tree or Gavin Harrison, so I`m not criticizing him or his band.

I respect your opinion, but for me, the best King Crimson period was 1969-1974. I bought  their "Beat" album in 1982, and I never liked it. Belew is a good singer, but I prefer the band with keyboards as when Ian McDonald played them, apart from the wind instruments. The first album of the band is their best, in my opinion. Greg Lake is a very good singer and bassist (despite the fact that his voice is not the same as years  ago), and Michael Giles is one of the best drummers in Prog Rock.

In my opinion, Fripp is a very smart (and with a very big Ego) person. I could call him "Mr. Marketing". Since he reformed the band in the eighties he has sold to their fans endless "projektcs", "previously unreleased live materials",  "new and definitive remasters", "New line-ups", etc. The band in the 1969-74 period had more quality in their music. When Belew joined, the band became more "experimental" and snob, noisy, etc. I don`t like the style of the Belew line-ups, so I`m not interested in this band since "Beat". I even couldn`t stand a King Crimson line-up with Fripp, Belew, Eno, Laurie Anderson, Patty Smith, Peter Hammill, and that kind of  musicians. So, this band is not interesting for my taste anymore.

Maybe a reunion with Wetton, Bruford and Cross could be also interesting. They played "Heavy Prog" and sometimes they were noisy, but I prefer them more than Belew in the band. Tony Levin is also a very good bassist, so I also don`t have nothing against him.

Edited by Guillermo - November 21 2007 at 18:52
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2007 at 01:00
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

Gavin Harrison?  Are you kidding me?

When I heard the rumor about Zoltan, I was ecstatic, as it seemed like an amazing and logical fit.  I'd make the cross-country trip to Chicago to see that, but I may have to pass on this particular opportunity.  And honestly, it breaks my proggy heart to hear some of you say that Gavin "could do better".  King Crimson are the pinnacle that all should aspire to, and as mean-spirited as it may sound, it sort of makes sense that PT fans -would- underappreciate King Crimson.  -sigh-

Speaking personally:

that's just about the most ignorant and silly post you've ever made and that's saying something. I suspect it was only made to have an effect, which makes it borderline trolling.

Grow up.

So it's wrong for me to be appalled that hardcore PT-heads think Gavin is too good for KING CRIMSON of all bands?  Get out of town!

Edit:  I'll clarify.  I'm a huge Zoltan fan.  I'd go to Chicago to see him give a drum clinic, or to play with a random jazz trio.  I'm a pretty big King Crimson fan, and I was excited when it was -rumored- that Zoltan would join.  I was shocked to hear that Gavin was joining KC instead, because while he's an excellent drummer, I don't enjoy him nearly as much as Zoltan, and therefore wouldn't put things like the light bill aside to travel to Chicago to see him with KC.  Instead, I'd wait for them to come reasonably close, maybe 2-6 hours away.  Then, I comment on the people in this thread upset that Gavin is 'going downward' to play in KC.

This is trolling?  Do you have a vendetta against me?  You seriously need to evaluate your mode of thinking, because it's not cool for you to get all red-assed when I state a valid opinion.  Funny how you haven't said a word about all the anti-KC trolling here.  Get a life, Tony.  I respect your authority and age and position and all that, but you're just being stupid here.

Edited by Man Overboard - November 22 2007 at 01:08
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2007 at 02:44
I don't see how they fit. Maybe if KC ever release their supposed album, we'll find out. Ouch

Back in the days when proggers release albums ever 1-1.5 years, a foul record is not that big of a deal, but in an era where a classic prog band might release an album ever 4 or 5 years, it better be spot on in whatever they're trying to do.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2007 at 04:31
Let's keep the discussion civil guys, everyone entitled to their opinion and all that. Even if you strongly disagree with them, respect their right to speak.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2007 at 10:45
Let`s just wait until next August. What`s the point of criticizing something which hasn`t even happened yet ? When it was announced that Pat would be joining the band in `94 I only knew him as the the guy from Mister Mister and was a bit scared and thought that Bob had lost his marbles. But I soon discovered the guy was a big session man who had played with everyone under the sun which alleviated some of my worries. Nobody including Fripp are themselves when playing in Crimson.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - November 22 2007 at 16:08
CaincelaOreinim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2007 at 15:52
For the record Man Overboard, there's something screwy going on around here and it's not you...I think they just overreacted to some hyperbole...while Crimson might be your and perhaps my esteemed "pinnacle" for "progressive rock" there are countless musicians who wipe the floor with them...most jazz guys e.g...and as there are others who trump others; subjectivity, etc. etc.... 

It's really been eye-opening lately, here, and at progressiveears seeing just how many people prefer the old Crimson and clinging to the past as opposed to embracing change and letting go of their selfish preferences; the majority - musicians like Lake and Wetton who last I checked are in dire disrepair - seemingly holding no more bearing in the music world.  I've loved all Crimson's incarnations; however, I've always felt the ones with Belew are the most roundedly rewarding and vital - in more than one sense.  I'm curious to see the new developments...but I do feel this move is a tad redundant...if Fripp's going on a new "who have I worked with lately and found it at least remotely satisfying" M.O. perhaps adding Theo Travis to the mix could be interesting?  It could satisfy those harping for an aerophonist again too...although I think Fripp finds this addition to be too reminiscent?  Composition will tell in the long run either way...

For the record, Pat's also expressed joy in working with Harrison in a recent Vic Firth video interview...so they're probably not going to be butting heads at least not yet...I personally would like to see him have more of a role a la what KTU are doing second "drummer" wise: Pat on electronic pads, or maybe an entire kit's worth, supplying that side, Harrison the acoustic side. 

And as for whoever's singing on the new Harrison/05ric album...yeesh...
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2007 at 16:05

As good as Gavin Harrison is at drums, I hoped someone more fitting to King Crimson's style would join, but of course, its still better than no Crimson. They better hit up a lot of dates on their reunion tour Tongue

Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2007 at 16:33

Funny how you haven't said a word about all the anti-KC trolling here.  Get a life, Tony.  I respect your authority and age and position and all that, but you're just being stupid here.
When I speak personally, I have no position.

Every time a member of PT is mentioned or the band itself, you seem to pop up and post something - usually something negative. I doubt you've ever posted in a thread that mentions PT or one of its members without mentioning TFK or one of its members. To the best of my knowledge comparing TFK and PT is like comparing apples and oranges.
I seem to recall that Steve Wilson once said something negative about TFK....is that the reason for all this?
Big%20smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2007 at 17:14

Funny how you haven't said a word about all the anti-KC trolling here.  Get a life, Tony.  I respect your authority and age and position and all that, but you're just being stupid here.
When I speak personally, I have no position.

Every time a member of PT is mentioned or the band itself, you seem to pop up and post something - usually something negative. I doubt you've ever posted in a thread that mentions PT or one of its members without mentioning TFK or one of its members. To the best of my knowledge comparing TFK and PT is like comparing apples and oranges.
I seem to recall that Steve Wilson once said something negative about TFK....is that the reason for all this?
Big%20smile

You're overthinking it.  This has to do with King Crimson and the previously rumored drummer. 

As for PT, I -personally- preferred their old direction, and felt they were declining before I'd even heard of TFK.  Tongue  I absolutely love Theo Travis's work, despite his PT connection, so I think you may be barking up the wrong tree. 

Edited by Man Overboard - November 22 2007 at 17:16
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2007 at 17:41
I rest my case..Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2007 at 17:45

I rest my case..Wink

Tongue  Merely responding to your claim.

Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2007 at 14:28
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

I suspect most of the correspondents here are not aware of Gavin Harrision's excellent album released in the last two months, Drop, in collaboration with somebody calling himself 05ric:

nor the number of books Harrison has published on music/rhythm:

The presence of Robert Fripp on Drop and the polyrhythms conjured by Harrison, leave you in no doubt that Harrison can readily drop into KC

For what it's worth, I don't think this album is in the archives, and it should be, IMO.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 09:34
Well, I don`t know about that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234