Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:16
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

oh he's a dope, from what I've seen

hhahhaha yeah.. .but he could unleash the f**king fury LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:21
The time has come for Richard Clayderman....
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2008 at 02:30
who'd of thought a donut could've thrown the metal world into a tailspin
SolariS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 12:59
Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

"donut...?"    "YOU UNLEASHED THE �%#ING FURY! /ROAR! Angry"

ahahah!

i saw malmsteen in concert a while back...not because i like his music but because i find him entertaining.

before the show, the opening band was finishing up their last song. apparently they had gone over their time limit or something, because yngwie walked right up to the soundboard and turned them off in the middle of the song. then he proceeded to blast classical music for the next HOUR AND A HALF before coming on stage. at that point i lost whatever little respect for him i had ever managed to find.

personally i find his music extremely boring. he has skill, but ripping through arpeggio after arpeggio is not good guitar solo writing. and just because he wears puffy shirts does not mean he's progressive. his type of music might have been innovative but it's a dead end. you can't shred arpeggios to much faster than that and there's really nowhere to build off of it. though he may have been influential, i think his own arrogance really shows in his music and his boring "all eyes on me" approach to guitar.
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 16:38
He was very annoying when I watched the G3 DVD he was on. His constant show-off ruined the Hendrix song all three of them did along with "Rockin' in the Free World".

LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEE!! *pushes Joe Satriani out of the way and head-butts Steve Vai*
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 17:24
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

He was very annoying when I watched the G3 DVD he was on. His constant show-off ruined the Hendrix song all three of them did along with "Rockin' in the Free World".

LOOK AT ME!!! LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEE!! *pushes Joe Satriani out of the way and head-butts Steve Vai*

and you all still doubt he is prog LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
staunchally View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 11:59
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Originally posted by Aeternus Aeternus wrote:

If there are Black Sabbath, there should be Yngwie too.

AgreedClap i think that if Black Sabbath is in the prog related category, surely there should be Malsmsteen in there, because he did certainly inspire many bands to incorporate more progressive elements into their music.

Such as?

What Malmsteen really inspired was a new generation of sweep-pickers.

One single technique - that is all, as far as I can see, and one that was already perfected by the likes of Holdsworth, Zappa and Vai.

That he chose to sweep-pick using mainly Baroque Italian stylisations is interesting - but Blackmore et al had been incorporating quasi-Baroque styles for 2 decades of so before Yngwie.

Yngwie, specifically "Rising Force" was a kind of figurehead - one that was dropped pretty quickly when it was realised he was a bit of a one-trick pony.

Yngwie is not Mr. Versatility but he has done more than sweep pick. He does have a formidable picking technique. I've never heard Holdsworth or Zappa sweep pick, and Vai was a contemporary of Yngwie and didn't "sweep" before him. I don't know if you were suggesting he was or not.
staunchally View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2008 at 14:08
I've just read all the posts and it looks like my response has already been covered. Sorry to be redundant. But I'd like to add that Holdsworth doesn't alternate pick (he could lose his right hand and still be a virtuoso). TongueThat's not a criticism, Holdsy's my favorite. Zappa, as a guitarist is not comparable to any "shredder" or virtuoso. I love Frank but he is not a "technical" player. Vai is mostly legato, Yngwie's alternate picking technique is far superior. I don't mean to come off as a nitpicker, I like all of these players for their strengths. Just responding to the earlier post.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234