Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Carpet Crawlers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which version of this song do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
50 [83.33%]
7 [11.67%]
3 [5.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2007 at 18:27
^^^

Sorry, but IMHO Carpet Crawlers 99 is an aberration:

1. Done by bits in 3 years
  2. The musicians never played together
  3. It was an excuse to promote an horrendous album and to fool the fans of Prog era.
  4. Sounds like Techno more than Prog.
  5. As usual Steve hackett’s part were buried by the trio who decided what goes and what not.

Steve Hackett says it all:

Quote WOG: After you re-record the new version of "Carpet Crawlers" (a.k.a. "Carpet Crawlers '99") with Genesis, were you pleased with the final product? It sounds like on most of the song you're pretty buried in the mix...

SH: Well, I think that my contribution to the song was only used at the very beginning. Either Trevor Horn (the producer) mixed it or handed it off to someone else, and I'm not sure if he was as hands-on as he could have been with it. I don't think it got the best out of anybody to be honest. That's my take on the track and a number of people may disagree with me, but if you're looking for brilliant guitar playing most of it's on the cutting room floor! ...Well, you'll never know if it was brilliant or run of the mill (laughs)!

What I am saying is, I included the guitar figure that was always intended for inclusion on the chorus of "Carpet Crawlers." I have a mix of that which, at one point, I was thinking of including on the website so people could actually hear the removed guitar parts restored, but contractually, I might be on a sticky wicket there. At the end of the day, you're only allowed to do what you're allowed to do. 

If I can answer a common question, when people ask me about Genesis reunions, I feel as though I've got that as an example of something that's likely to happen. Reunions, on this level, end up becoming pretty corporate affairs as you can tell with the credits on "Carpet Crawlers." I haven't worked corporately like this for many, many years, and I'm actually extremely proud of every note that I include on anything these days. Extremely proud. So, I think you can sacrifice quite a lot just to be part of a band again.

WOG: Were you all in the studio recording that together or did each member do their own thing and just have it put together in the studio later?

SH: No! I think it was put together over a period of about three years or so I seem to recall. My contribution was two hours in an afternoon... in my own studio.
I don't think anyone really wanted to meet up and work together on that thing. Again, there's the inevitable question of reunions and the wisdom of those things is that it's really only worth doing if everyone is going to see eyeball to eyeball.

The problem is, handing it off to another producer is a bit of a lottery isn't it? ...As to what's going to be included. I don't know if I'm prepared to take those sort of chances. 

Speaks loud and clear.......As in Seconds out, his guitar sections were buried in the mix, imagine that this is obvious for the interviewer of The World of Genesis, a group of guys who usually keep this affaires in the closet.

Iván

electricsilence View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2007 at 17:25
The Live in London 1975 bootleg version, very emotional stuff.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2007 at 23:21
I think that the 1999 version works best as a stand alone song, so I voted for it.

But if I was listening to The Lamb, I'd want the original version.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12