Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJewel Case vs. Digipack

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Simple question: Which type of packaging do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [55.00%]
0 [0.00%]
13 [32.50%]
5 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2007 at 04:12
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

How do you stack digipacks or organize them properly? They're a nuisance.

They're just an example of record companies trying to save 3 sents by defrauding the consumer with vulnerable pieces of paper.
Exactly the same way as jewel cases.
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2007 at 04:16
Sizes tend to be inconsistent and the packaging doesn't lend itself to either stacking or shelving in the same manner than jewel cases do.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2007 at 04:22
Hmm, interesting so far that no one likes the slimline jewel or download only, but I'm still not getting this preference for the "jewel".  And oddly enough, I've never had and digipacks break on me (in being shipped to me or dropped), I just don't care as much for them as mini LP because of the space they take up.  The one good thing I might say about the jewel and digipack cases is that it is easier to see the title on the shelf.  Which may prove itself to be better as I get older and blinder.

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 24 2007 at 04:28
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2007 at 19:48
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

Jewel cases all the way.

I won't stand for getting an inferior piece of cardboard instead of solid slabs of plastic.

Digipacks all the way.

I won't stand for getting inferior slabs of plastic instead of a solid piece of cardboard!Big%20smile

LOL

Same here.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2007 at 20:37
None of the above Disapprove

It beggars belief that in this day and age we cannot design and fabricate something that carries, protects and houses something as frickin' simple as 12cm disc of ruddy plastic without damaging either itself, the user or the disc. I mean for pity-sake, each of the solution in this poll has faults:

The Jewel case is fragile - it breaks when you look at it; the hinge is pathetic; the booklet either falls out all by itself or you have to use a spoon-handle the prize it out; the prongs snap off, or more often than not - arrive pre-busted; it scratches and looks old in a mater of days; Multiple CD jewel cases just don't work - while you are attempting to remove CD-1 from the tray, CD-2 falls out and rolls across the floor and they ain't green.

Slimline cases are just wrong.

Digipaks trays do break - they split in two straight down the middle; the tray can come unglued for no apparent reason; for the first week you need tyre-lever to get the CD out of the tray and by the second week they fall out unaided; the ones with the DVD style button break the CD if you push too hard, which you have to most of the time; the cardboard case gets dog-eared far to quickly; they don't stand on edge, so fall over in the CD rack when you remove the CD next to it and you normally end up damaging the pocket when removing the booklet.

Mini LP cases at first glance look good, but they actually look cheap and like something given away free, which is bizzare since they have been the most expensive CDs I've bought; it's impossible to get the booklet and/or CD out without damaging something; since they have no spine, you cannot see what it is when it's filed in a rack; nobody makes plastic protection sleeves for them (yet)

I almost like boxes - they have the advantages of both the Jewel Case and the Digipak, but they are too big to fit a standard CD rack.

If we can design and build quad-core pentium based PC's, cars that can do 250 miles an hour, a machine that allows you to carry 1000s of songs in your pocket and pop-corn you can cook in a microwave what the hell does it take for some "packaging expert" to come up with a design that works and a "materials expert" to find the right plastic or laminated cardboard to make it from? Angry
What?
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2007 at 23:36
I agree with Dean. Digipacks are flimsy and jewel cases are fragile. Overall, jewel cases are better, but nothing is worse than opening a CD only to have the damn disc tumble out cause those little prongs that hold the CD in place have broken off and now the CD is being bounced on and off the remaining prongs, scratching the disc. Oh, I could strangle a baby when that crap happens.
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2007 at 23:41
I like the digi pak, much classier.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2007 at 23:42
I smashed PT's Up the Downstair digipak in the car door. Broke both discs. The same would happen if it were a jewel case. But it hasn't yet happened with a jewel case, so I vote for that. The real culprit is the damn car for no having anywhere but between the seat and door to put my album.
SoundsofSeasons View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2007 at 00:13
What is the packaging for Rush's Snakes and Arrows called? Whatever that is I really like that the most; as opposed to the antithesis which was the Rush in Rio packaging...the three cd's get scratched every time I slip them in and out of the stupid cardboard.
1 Chronicles 13:7-9

Then David and all Israel played music before God with all their might, with singing, on harps, on stringed instruments, on tambourines, on cymbals, and with trumpets.

moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2007 at 00:22
I like the digipacks for aesthetic purposes. They look better and I think they work better. I hate buying a cd to find the case is cracked. I've never had a digipack be in less than perfect condition.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2007 at 01:27
LOL  wow Dean, now that's a rant... perhaps particle beams dense enough to suspend the discs in the air but not enough to damage them LOL

I prefer the digipacks, best of both worlds.. I like sleeves too but I don't like how unsafe the disc is in the paper

keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2007 at 01:43
i disagree with digipacks on the whole. it doesnt seem classy to me, just cheap an i come into the album with that in mind. cheap, easy, no thought and i get worried the music will sound the same. the trays break, and the inserts are never interesting (not the the digipacks fault, i know, just something that has yet to happen). you kinda have to chose the lesser of the evils here. i dont really agree with anything accept vinal but i voted for the jewel case here. 
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2007 at 01:46
What i dislike is when the CD is directly into the cardboard, without paper sleeve. So the CD is scratched each time you pull it through. A shame!!!

"Multiple CD jewel cases just don't work "
Indeed, and they don't product double Cds boxes as in the beggining. Another shame!!

Edited by oliverstoned - December 04 2007 at 01:53
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2007 at 03:34
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

standard jewel case, providing they don't arrive with the centre plastic holders smashed in....Angry

Hear, hear.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Forgotten Son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 07:08
Digipacks for me. They generally look more attractive, they are more durable than jewel cases and P&P costs are less when you order them online (unless the seller offers the option of sending the CD and sleeves sans the jewel case, which sadly very few do).
limeyrob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 17:16
Agree with Dean but if it has to be the standard jewel just make sure it is the design with the reinforced centre. There's nothing more frustrating than receiving a CD with the unsupported centres all caved in and rattling around. I don't think these loose bits have damaged the CD but it is so frustrating having to obtain another case just because the centre is broken. Be environmentally friendly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12