Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kerry Livgren Re-releases Collectors Sediton
    Posted: November 26 2007 at 14:42
From the official Numavox Website:

If you aren't familiar with this solo project this CD was was comprised of the songs that were not chosen by Kansas for the 2000 release of Somewhere to Elsewhere. This is not a remaster Kerry has actually re-recorded many of the songs (except some vocals ) and brought in Proto-Kaw bassist Craig Kew and Mike Patrum to aid the sound. 

You can purchase directly form Numavox or at Amazon or Download at Itunes.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2007 at 11:27
Wicked!! Thanks Garion. Is it good?
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2007 at 14:22
Originally posted by arcer arcer wrote:

Wicked!! Thanks Garion. Is it good?

Well I have always thought it was his best solo project but Kerry always felt it was rushed and the songs not given their proper due.  The added layers of sound on this are pretty good as he has used new keyboard patchs and of course adding Craig and Mike's spin on the songs helps as well. Kerry's guitar playing has improved a lot since the inception of Proto-Kaw and their improvisational style so all of that has been upgraded as well.  The vocals haven't changed much as he tried to reuse those but they were pretty good to begin with. Jake Livgren, who has a fantastic voice, sings quite a few of them. There is a P~K feel to some of the songs.  My highlights are The Sentinel, Cold Grey Morning and The Dragon.

But like I said before he has re-recorded the new parts not just trying to enhance the old ones. I like it very much.

arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2007 at 17:49
Ahh, so it's not updated rough demos from the Kansas sessions. I thought it might be Walsh's voice on there updated with new instrumental sessions. Shame. 
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2007 at 18:37

Ahh, so it's not updated rough demos from the Kansas sessions. I thought it might be Walsh's voice on there updated with new instrumental sessions. Shame. 

Actually for the Somewhere to Elesewhere album and this one Jake did all the demos Steve was added later. Wink Some of these songs are older than the 1999-2000 time they were recorded.  For instrance Cold Grey Morning goes back to the 71-73 era.  Others you can tell were written around the AD time Time line others right at the time of STE. One really stands out that he must of written when he did that Soundtrack for Oddessy of the Minds Eye.   Still I think this is his best solo work next to Seeds of Change.

As for the Kansas sessions there are only one set I know of floating around and those were the Vinyl Confessions demo right before Steve left the band.

arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2007 at 19:02
Oh dear, those are confessions I'd rather not hear.

I'm a big fan of the music on Somewhere to Elsewhere so might give it a whirl.

BTW are we the only two here who actually like Kansas this much?

Bupie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2007 at 04:51

I, for once, would be really pleased to hear them. I think VC was the last reasonably good Kansas album until STE. Everything in between those two albums is, hmm Confused
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 01:13

What about me?  Big%20smile

Kansas were my first favorite band, and s'long as we're on the subject of demos, there are some great demos from the Power era floating around with Walsh on vocals.  Aside from the tracks that made it to the record, there were 10 or so that didn't.  Some ended up on solo albums (Racing Away on a Livgren album, Broken Home and others on Greer's Seventh Key project), and some were never used at all, like Sea Of Shadows, which is incidentally my favorite of the bunch. 
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 01:34
count me in i like kansas also Tongue

Edited by Yorkie X - December 02 2007 at 01:38
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 17:41
Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

What about me?  Big%20smile

Kansas were my first favorite band, and s'long as we're on the subject of demos, there are some great demos from the Power era floating around with Walsh on vocals.  Aside from the tracks that made it to the record, there were 10 or so that didn't.  Some ended up on solo albums (Racing Away on a Livgren album, Broken Home and others on Greer's Seventh Key project), and some were never used at all, like Sea Of Shadows, which is incidentally my favorite of the bunch. 

Hey MO where have you been?  Wink

Yes I forgot about the Power demos. Embarrassed

Arcer, no there are a few of us but it seems to be dwindling over time.  Cry

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 23:56
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

Hard at work Wink  'bout to be inducted into management Shocked

Did you see the Travelling Wheathead videos on Youtube?  They're awesome LOL
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 08:36
Thanks for the tip.  Kansas was the first band I saw live way back in '78.  I really liked Somewhere to Elsewhere.  Gee, thanks a lot, another damn album I'll have to add to my collection. Big%20smile

Got to commend them for doing quality prog and having some commercial success, which I suspect has drawn some folks into prog who might not have discovered it otherwise.  I did see them on tour at what we had around here called the Midtown Music festival.  I vowed never to attend another one, because the Cult was also playing on a stage way too close to Kansas's and they pretty much drowned Kansas out.  Dead
Kansacult anyone?

And then somehow I missed hearing about the show here where the taped the DVD DVD. Cry  Except for or despite the lack of Kerry, it was a good show.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 08 2007 at 08:43
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2007 at 07:43

Shame isn't it. I grew up on a staple diet of Leftoverture, Two for the Show and Monolith and was awestruck by this otherworldly music from across the Atlantic - you have to remember that when I first heard Kansas, the UK and Ireland was deep into new wave and while I absolutely love a lot of that music, Kansas truly was like music from another planet.

Ah well, at least the dwindling fandom keeps it exclsuive. You would never hear Kansas on the radio here, which is a good thing I guess as in the States you can only take so many classic rock radio plays of 'Carry On..' and 'Dust int the Wind'.

MO, I did se the Wheathead videos on YouTube, really good fun but with a just a hit of pathos. There's something a little saddening about seeing your heroes playing crappy Ramada Inns.

Edited by arcer - December 09 2007 at 07:44
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2007 at 18:26

Shame isn't it. I grew up on a staple diet of Leftoverture, Two for the Show and Monolith and was awestruck by this otherworldly music from across the Atlantic - you have to remember that when I first heard Kansas, the UK and Ireland was deep into new wave and while I absolutely love a lot of that music, Kansas truly was like music from another planet.

Ah well, at least the dwindling fandom keeps it exclsuive. You would never hear Kansas on the radio here, which is a good thing I guess as in the States you can only take so many classic rock radio plays of 'Carry On..' and 'Dust int the Wind'.

MO, I did se the Wheathead videos on YouTube, really good fun but with a just a hit of pathos. There's something a little saddening about seeing your heroes playing crappy Ramada Inns.

MO Congrats on your employment stature!  I hope you like the work

As for those videos make sure you watch the Traveling Wheatheads and not the Southern wheatheads(never heard of them) For those who don't know that is a band of Kansas fans that gets together just once a year at the annual "wheatfest". They play at a dinner (or Lunch) around an auction of Kansas mememorabilia donated by the band and fans.  In 2006 in Vegas I got an original artists proof, signed by the artist, of the Point of Know Return album.  The videos of Child of Innocence and What's on my Mind are form 2005. That is Jake Livgren (Kerry's Nephew) playing guitar ands singing to the left of the front line.  The guy with the bowtie is Wade and he comes from England, one of three eurowheats as we call them) every year to do this.

Oh and here is a tip for all of you who might be in the Kansas City or Topeka area next month on the 18th. Kansas will be playing at the Topeka performing arts center with an orchestra and I have on good authority Kerry Livgren will play the entire show with them.  and I can't go. Cry 

Arcer that place in those videos was so bad we ended up moving to another hotel.  LOL

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2007 at 22:28
I've been listening to a LOT of Livgren lately...

I think I'll try to get this one for Christmas!

What do you think of Livgren's vocal performance on Whiskey Seed?  In my opinion, it's really unique, and in today's musical climate he'd do well as a lead vocalist....
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2007 at 12:47

I've been listening to a LOT of Livgren lately...

I think I'll try to get this one for Christmas!

What do you think of Livgren's vocal performance on Whiskey Seed?  In my opinion, it's really unique, and in today's musical climate he'd do well as a lead vocalist....

That is an intersting thought.  I don't think he would agree but you may be onto something.  You should try and get this Collectors Sediton it is a major improvement over the orginal.

BTW  Proto-Kaw CD they are working will contain 19 songs! Most of them are new but  a couple are reworks of old 71-73 pieces that were recorded by Kansas.  I am guessing Death of Mother Nature Suite, because they play that live,  and Cold Grey Morning but it could be Myriad as well. 

Post Reply Post Reply