Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGrayceon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grayceon
    Posted: November 26 2007 at 18:26
Just bought Grayceon's self titled debut album today, seeing it in HMV was a massive surprise, and I'm blown away.Its the best album I've heard this year and is quite simply amazing.

So lets hear some support for Grayceon, from more than just Reuben and AvestinWink, on here.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 18:48
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Just bought Grayceon's self titled debut album today, seeing it in HMV was a massive surprise, and I'm blown away.Its the best album I've heard this year and is quite simply amazing.

I have the exact same feelings about it.
It is not so much a matter of progessiveness or how well executed the music is (though I do find both to be on the high end), it is about how the music makes me feel, how it affects my mind and in that, it has done what only two or three albums have done this year.

I'm surprised it was available at an HMV.
What next? Their video-clip showed on MTV.... LOL

jikai55 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 18:56
Love it!

I like cheese and I like metal! --Mikael Åkerfeldt
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 20:37
Yep.

Love the band, but sadly Battles' Mirrored took the first place on my list of the best album of 2007. Still Grayceon is a wonderful discovery. The music is very unique and the atmosphere the band creates is wonderful as well. Very organic and operatic in a strange way.

Highly recommended and not only for Prog Metal fans.

Edited by chamberry - November 26 2007 at 20:41

ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 23:51
Just listened to it...very nice.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2007 at 00:01
Count me in the "I like it" column.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2007 at 11:19

So lets hear some support for Grayceon, from more than just Ruben and AvestinWink, on here.

How fast people forgetting kindness. "Who was that guy who wholeheartedly recommended me GRAYCEON in my poll?"

thanks for checking finally!

I LOVE IT AS WELL!!!. Unfortunately not all lovers write reviews for their beloved albums
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2007 at 12:11
I should really start writing reviews....
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 19:12
Go to Grayceon's myspace to hear their new song from their split with GIant Squid

Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 19:14
I like the contrast of the vocals!
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 19:32
^^
Yes, me too.

I am looking forward to hear if they will maintain this particular style in their next release - this un-densed, free feeling, open style - along with the vocal harmonies and the cello and guitar alternating as the lead and support. I can imagine a particular way they can go on to, but eventually it is up to them to decide if and how they want to progress. The West, according to them, is supposed to give us an idea to where they are going with their next release. I still need to absorb it to figure out if there is a real change or more of a moving on.
In any case, this first album is one I love dearly.

The announcement as it appears in their website:

12/04/07

GRAYCEON / GIANT SQUID SPLIT 7" AVAILABLE NOW!!!

Grayceon,%20Giant%20Squid

TRACK LISTING:

Grayceon - The West

Giant Squid - Sutter's Fort

The 7" release is limited to 500 copies, 250 in Maroon color, 250 in Sand color.

We are pleased to announce the official release of our split 7" record with our friends, California-based eclectic doom rockers, GIANT SQUID, on The End Records. Available through our web shop and both The End Records and Vendlus Records web stores, this is the first new material heard from either band since our respective 2007 debut releases.

Our new 7" track, The West, will give you an idea of the direction we are headed for our newest full-length album already scheduled to be recorded in February 2008 and released on Vendlus Records in August 2008. We are weeks from finishing the writing and are completely ecstatic about the new material! Although we are staying focused we do have a handful of shows in the early new year at which we will be testing out the new material on stage and presenting the new 7" on the merch table. We also hope to be in the Northwest area at the end of March to perform with Agalloch. Visit our shows page for the details!

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 22:24
Man...........I can't wait to hear that split.

ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 14:02
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

^^
Yes, me too.

I am looking forward to hear if they will maintain this particular style in their next release - this un-densed, free feeling, open style - along with the vocal harmonies and the cello and guitar alternating as the lead and support. I can imagine a particular way they can go on to, but eventually it is up to them to decide if and how they want to progress. The West, according to them, is supposed to give us an idea to where they are going with their next release. I still need to absorb it to figure out if there is a real change or more of a moving on.

<FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>12/04/07

<FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>GRAYCEON / GIANT SQUID SPLIT 7" AVAILABLE NOW!!!

<FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>TRACK LISTING:

<FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>Grayceon - The West

<FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>Giant Squid - Sutter's Fort

<FONT face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>The 7" release is limited to 500 copies, 250 in Maroon color, 250 in Sand color.

<FONT face=Verdana size=2>We are pleased to announce the official release of our split 7" record with our friends, California-based eclectic doom rockers, GIANT SQUID, on The End Records. Available through our web <FONT face=Verdana color=#810081 size=2>shop<FONT face=Verdana size=2> and both <FONT face=Verdana size=2>The End Records<FONT face=Verdana size=2> and <FONT face=Verdana size=2>Vendlus Records<FONT face=Verdana size=2> web stores, this is the first new material heard from either band since our respective 2007 debut releases.

<FONT face=Verdana>Our new 7" track, The West, will give you an idea of the direction we are headed for our newest full-length album already scheduled to be recorded in February 2008 and released on Vendlus Records in August 2008. We are weeks from finishing the writing and are completely ecstatic about the new material! Although we are staying focused we do have a handful of shows in the early new year at which we will be testing out the new material on stage and presenting the new 7" on the merch table. We also hope to be in the Northwest area at the end of March to perform with Agalloch. Visit our <FONT face=Verdana>shows<FONT face=Verdana> page for the details!

Wow. Awesome!
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 14:06

So lets hear some support for Grayceon, from more than just Reuben and AvestinWink, on here.

Mr Sleeper subjected me to some Grayceon in my car last week....it will be the one and only time...Wink

Now do as I say and go and buy yourself some Spheric Universe Experience....you won't regret it....Big%20smile

LOL
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 16:39
Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Just bought Grayceon's self titled debut album today, seeing it in HMV was a massive surprise, and I'm blown away.Its the best album I've heard this year and is quite simply amazing.So lets hear some support for Grayceon, from more than just Reuben and AvestinWink, on here.

Mr Sleeper subjected me to some Grayceon in my car last week....it will be the one and only time...Wink

Now do as I say and go and buy yourself some Spheric Universe Experience....you won't regret it....Big%20smile

LOL

Thats really good too!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 18:50
Originally posted by ProgBagel ProgBagel wrote:

Originally posted by fandango fandango wrote:

Just bought Grayceon's self titled debut album today, seeing it in HMV was a massive surprise, and I'm blown away.Its the best album I've heard this year and is quite simply amazing.So lets hear some support for Grayceon, from more than just Reuben and AvestinWink, on here.

LOL

Thats really good too!

Indeed it is, but I'm still going to be listening to Grayceon, even if their vocals arent exactly brilliant.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

ProgBagel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 22:40
What did you not like about the vocals?
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 22:45
Sorry, but I had to say that Spheric Universe Experience did nothing special for me (you can read my review). but lets not digress.... LOL I was surprised Grayceon only released this new split on vinyl only.
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 22:47
I have to say, as a rule, I dislike anything at all metal, especially post-metal, but I rather enjoyed Grayceon. 
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 22:49
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

^^
Yes, me too.

12/04/07

GRAYCEON / GIANT SQUID SPLIT 7" AVAILABLE NOW!!!

TRACK LISTING:

Grayceon - The West

Giant Squid - Sutter's Fort

The 7" release is limited to 500 copies, 250 in Maroon color, 250 in Sand color.

We are pleased to announce the official release of our split 7" record with our friends, California-based eclectic doom rockers, GIANT SQUID, on The End Records. Available through our web shop and both The End Records and Vendlus Records web stores, this is the first new material heard from either band since our respective 2007 debut releases.

Our new 7" track, The West, will give you an idea of the direction we are headed for our newest full-length album already scheduled to be recorded in February 2008 and released on Vendlus Records in August 2008. We are weeks from finishing the writing and are completely ecstatic about the new material! Although we are staying focused we do have a handful of shows in the early new year at which we will be testing out the new material on stage and presenting the new 7" on the merch table. We also hope to be in the Northwest area at the end of March to perform with Agalloch. Visit our shows page for the details!

AWESOME!

Love both bands, totally want to get my hnds on that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>