Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpoofing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spoofing
    Posted: November 28 2007 at 16:39
I work for a small 3-5 person company and am basically the IT department here.  At the beginning of this month something peculiar happened.  Our domain was "hijacked".  I started getting all these spam messages bounced back to me that were rejected from various spam firewalls.  They were using our domain and making up e-mail addresses that weren't any of ours.  It lasted for about four hours tapered off and then stopped.

I reported it and got this from our host:
"The following is a desription of spoofing:

What happens is a person just selects a random e-mail message and captures the from address and sometimes the subject line and pastes it to a message. This provides a normal looking address that a user might be more inclined to open up and read. The bad guy sends this out to 1000 people and some of those addresses are bad. They bounce back to you as being invalid. The spammer captures a different from address and the cycle starts again. There is really not much we can do. You could get the IP address from the header information and contact the ISP that supports the spammer and notify them of the abuse. The problem with that is we can no longer trust the information supplied in the headers to be accurate."

Anyone with their own domain have this happen to you?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2007 at 16:58
Never came across it at my domain, but I know it's possible. Pretty sh*tty...
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2007 at 17:11
I seem to remember it being a big problem a couple of years ago, especially in conjunction with a virus, but I thought steps had been taken since to address it. Looks like that may not be the case.
 Post Reply Post Reply