FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviews
    Posted: March 31 2004 at 01:40

The album review section seems to go between one extreme of handing out 5 stars to any old album to gems like this:

Genesis -The Lamb Lied Down On Broadway

Review by Ian Gledhill @ 3:12:09 PM EST, 3/30/2004
PROG REVIEWER

1 stars  —   Peter Gabriel finally comes to his senses and bales out of this sinking ship of pretentious shlock and embarks on a brighter course towards a splendid solo career.

As Amazon might say '1 out of 33 people found this review useful'

Verisimilitude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2004 at 02:06

Perhaps...

But this is a bit heavy...

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2004 at 02:23

The Lamb "Pretentious shlock"?! Seems like a non-prog fan....

A wee bit extreme, especially as the album in question was largely a Gabriel project!

(See also his Genesis - FOXTROT review: "Pretentious dribble (sic) just like the previous three....")

Oh well. To each his own! "One man's meat...."

Edited by Peter Rideout
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2004 at 03:01
Pretentiuos? a little ironic dont you think?
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2004 at 03:08

Yes Dude! That adjective (pretentious) could arguably be applied to 98.6% of the genre! 

Stynx's "Mr. Loboto," on the other hand.....

Now that is one very real, immediate and profound piece of music!Wink

He chortled in his joy.
Tauhd Zaïa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2004 at 04:00

Hey friends I have made the same remark when discovering this review this morning

But I didn't know it was "possile or accepted" to speak about it here.

My point of view :

Progarchives is a place of liberty, in particuliar the reviews.

But sometimes liberty is scoffed

One star for "The Lamb" is  ù^)à""o&¤$(), hem incredible

Edited by Tauhd Zaïa
The State Of Grace Is Achieved
dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2004 at 04:11
PETER:you mentioned "Mr Loboto"..and with the same cynical tone, elsewhere, i gotta hear it!!(by the way is this the Stynx of "Cornerstone" (in)fame(y))
arqwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2004 at 13:24

i don't know, tastes vary from mind to mind, sometimes th population likes something, but a single person hates it...

to me free will is a basic part of depeloping urbanism and self respect, i agree that "lamb" is a marvellous album, if this guy doesn't like it, well, is his problem... our reviews should be taken as hint, not as an statement, in any case, is very nice to see someone doesn't like certain album, because it makes you think twice if that is "really" a masterpiece or an "untochable" album, hahahaha, any way enjoy..

peace

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 01:24

Arqwave said: "Is very nice to see someone doesn't like certain album, because it makes you think twice if that is "really" a masterpiece."

Either that, or it makes you think twice about where the guy's head is at.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and tastes vary.  No argument with either of those.  My concern here is that Mr. Gledhill doesn't actually "review" many of the albums, he simply makes a subjective judgment in one or two lines.  That is not reviewing; that is simply going for "shock value," since he is well aware of how the majority here feel about these albums.

If Mr. Gledhill cannot take the time to truly "review" albums - giving us specifics as to why he considers The Lamb "pretentious schlock" or Foxtrot "pretentious dribble" and rates them so low - I will personally petition Max to "fire him" as an "official" reviewer.

Peace.

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 08:43
Clap
He chortled in his joy.
M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 09:26
Let's hear what the concerned BOY have to say ...
Prog On !
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 11:21
I take it that you want me to explain myself. I will admit that I went a little bit off the deep end with the Genesis reviews, but to say I "Simply make a subjective judgement in one or two lines." is not true. Check out other reviews I have written on Omega, Grobschnitt, Dream Theater, Mike Oldfield, Focus etc. You will also notice that the very first reviews which I began writing were rather short because I was rather new to the game. Although I have been involved in music both as a listener and musician for close to thirty years I had never previously sat down and wrote a musical critique. Max must have thought that I had some worthwhile insights or I wouldn't have been asked to write as a PROGEVIEWER As for my choice of bands, I try and review a band which would perhaps not be that familiar to someone visiting this web-site with the intention of becoming informed about what is out there as far as the prog-rock genre goes. Bands like King Crimson, Genesis (and I`ll get to this Genesis thing in a sec) and Yes are readily available at major record shops either on the shelf or through a direct order. They even play some of this stuff on classic rock radio stations. I think there is a lot more to this genre of music than just King Crimson, Yes, Jethro Tull etc. And don`t get me wrong I am a big fan of these bands as well, especially KC. I guess I might be a little guilty of not explaining myself in more detail as to why I didn't like a particular work but it just escapes me sometimes why we need another 5 star review for Dark Side Of The Moon, Foxtrot, Close To The Edge and others. There's a lot of great music available out there! What I really like when I`m going through the reviews is to see something different or new which I might not have even heard of (or forgotten about) A couple of good examles of this were some recent reviews on the Irish prog band Fruup ( which used to open for Genesis frequently in the early years) and  Greenslade. Mabye I was just feeling frustrated with looking at so many stars that I just said to myself there! Take that! If I offended any Genesis lovers I most sincerely apologize. I thought it would be taken for just that, shock value! And anyone who might have been taken aback by those somewhat harsh  statements about one of the premier acts of the genre all they would have to do is go and read all the other reviews contained in the archives on Foxtrot, LLDOB or whatever and they would come to the immediate conclusion that there IS someone out there who doesn't care for this band and I'm pretty sure this was going through my mind when I wrote those things. Once again I apologize to the Genesis people for my obviously hurtful comments. You wouldn't believe the comments which I've had to put up with being into bands like Brainticket, Guru Guru, Floh de Cologne and other bands in that vein!
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 11:32

Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

I take it that you want me to explain myself. I will admit that I went a little bit off the deep end with the Genesis reviews, but to say I "Simply make a subjective judgement in one or two lines." is not true. Check out other reviews I have written on Omega, Grobschnitt, Dream Theater, Mike Oldfield, Focus etc. You will also notice that the very first reviews which I began writing were rather short because I was rather new to the game. Although I have been involved in music both as a listener and musician for close to thirty years I had never previously sat down and wrote a musical critique. Max must have thought that I had some worthwhile insights or I wouldn't have been asked to write as a PROGEVIEWER As for my choice of bands, I try and review a band which would perhaps not be that familiar to someone visiting this web-site with the intention of becoming informed about what is out there as far as the prog-rock genre goes. Bands like King Crimson, Genesis (and I`ll get to this Genesis thing in a sec) and Yes are readily available at major record shops either on the shelf or through a direct order. They even play some of this stuff on classic rock radio stations. I think there is a lot more to this genre of music than just King Crimson, Yes, Jethro Tull etc. And don`t get me wrong I am a big fan of these bands as well, especially KC. I guess I might be a little guilty of not explaining myself in more detail as to why I didn't like a particular work but it just escapes me sometimes why we need another 5 star review for Dark Side Of The Moon, Foxtrot, Close To The Edge and others. There's a lot of great music available out there! What I really like when I`m going through the reviews is to see something different or new which I might not have even heard of (or forgotten about) A couple of good examles of this were some recent reviews on the Irish prog band Fruup ( which used to open for Genesis frequently in the early years) and  Greenslade. Mabye I was just feeling frustrated with looking at so many stars that I just said to myself there! Take that! If I offended any Genesis lovers I most sincerely apologize. I thought it would be taken for just that, shock value! And anyone who might have been taken aback by those somewhat harsh  statements about one of the premier acts of the genre all they would have to do is go and read all the other reviews contained in the archives on Foxtrot, LLDOB or whatever and they would come to the immediate conclusion that there IS someone out there who doesn't care for this band and I'm pretty sure this was going through my mind when I wrote those things. Once again I apologize to the Genesis people for my obviously hurtful comments. You wouldn't believe the comments which I've had to put up with being into bands like Brainticket, Guru Guru, Floh de Cologne and other bands in that vein!

In your review on Foxtrot, you say that newbies had better check out Gentle Giant. Is it true that Genesis is being over-estimated? I've only heard a few songs myself, and I wasn't really impressed.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 11:39

Do you mean you weren't impressed with Genesis or Gentle Giant? For many Gentle Giant takes more time to start appreciating whereas people tend to like Genesis right away. (I'm refering to the early pre-1975 Genesis, of course.)

Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 12:07

Do you mean you weren't impressed with Genesis or Gentle Giant? For many Gentle Giant takes more time to start appreciating whereas people tend to like Genesis right away. (I'm refering to the early pre-1975 Genesis, of course.)

Other way round: I ADORE Gentle Giant, but I don't know what's so great about Genesis. I guesss I only know their pop-period, and I only listened to a few songs from Nursery Cryme. What do you think is their best album?

Glass-Prison View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 12:14
Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

A wee bit extreme, especially as the album in question was largely a Gabriel project!

(See also his Genesis - FOXTROT review: "Pretentious dribble (sic) just like the previous three....")

Pretentious? Prog? I think the word pretentious has been thrown around so much that the meaning of it has been lost. The definition of the word is such:

• adjective:   making claim to or creating an appearance of (often undeserved) importance or distinction (Example: "A pretentious country house")
  • adjective:   intended to attract notice and impress others
  • adjective:   of a display that is tawdry or vulgar
  • I don't think that is the point of bands such as Genesis. If anything, their progressive sounds are more apt to turn away potential listeners. also, they are almost always underrated, and have much more importance than is immediately evident. Hence, the term pretentious, when applied to prog, is nearly redundant.

Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 12:39
    Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

Other way round: I ADORE Gentle Giant, but I don't know what's so great about Genesis. I guesss I only know their pop-period, and I only listened to a few songs from Nursery Cryme. What do you think is their best album?

O.K. We're on the same frequency then. Gentle Giant is one of my faves. In a Glass House is my favourite album with Octopus in a t a close second. As for Genesis, and I do have all their earlier stuff, I would have to go with The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway mainly because it was  more or less a Peter Gabriel led project (and despite what I said in my notorious little revew!) My favourite track would have to be Back In NYC.
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 12:43
    Originally posted by Glass-Prison Glass-Prison wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

Pretentious? Prog? I think the word pretentious has been thrown around so much that the meaning of it has been lost. The definition of the word is such:

• adjective:   making claim to or creating an appearance of (often undeserved) importance or distinction (Example: "A pretentious country house")
  • adjective:   intended to attract notice and impress others
  • adjective:   of a display that is tawdry or vulgar

I don't think that is the point of bands such as Genesis. If anything, their progressive sounds are more apt to turn away potential listeners. also, they are almost always underrated, and have much more importance than is immediately evident. Hence, the term pretentious, when applied to prog, is nearly redundant.

• I know this and I can also think of a few other adjectives which have been overused to describe this music, bombastic, pompous, self-indulgent etc.

Edited by Vibrationbaby
    Forum Senior Member
    Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 17:37
    There! I re-did my Lamb Lies Down On Broadway review. I'll fix the other one when I have a bit more time. This is more or less my true feeling towards this record.
    richardh View Drop Down
    Prog Reviewer
    Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 17:44

There! I re-did my Lamb Lies Down On Broadway review. I'll fix the other one when I have a bit more time. This is more or less my true feeling towards this record.

A much better review in my opinion.I agree with your comments about 'Lamb..' being too long.I've often thought that and you do give credit for the better moments like 'In The Cage'.Anyone new to the genre would be well informed by that review.Well done and keep it up!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>