Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLobster Newberg - new prog band

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lobster Newberg - new prog band
    Posted: December 01 2007 at 16:04
This is a young (literally) band and a very talented one, that is influenced by Pink Floyd, VdGG and others from the 70's prog "scene" and they have released an album called Vernal Equinox which is up for sale for 10$ through their Myspace (incl. shipping) and this is a very very enjoyable album, well executed, fun, melodic, catchy, rhythmic etc.

Go listen to them here -

(no, it's not on the side...)

Edited by avestin - December 01 2007 at 17:39
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 11:29

LoB(ump)ster Newberg....

Speesh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 16:06
Hehe, I gave the free tracks a listen yesterday and forgot to post here. The stuff off VE sounded great, hopefully the rest sounds as good too. Unfortunately I can't order it right now being rather broke. And I'm saving up for the Birds and Buildings album coming out (hopefully) soon. Though when I can shell out that $10 I certainly will.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2007 at 18:53
Originally posted by Speesh Speesh wrote:

Hehe, I gave the free tracks a listen yesterday and forgot to post here. The stuff off VE sounded great, hopefully the rest sounds as good too. Unfortunately I can't order it right now being rather broke. And I'm saving up for the Birds and Buildings album coming out (hopefully) soon. Though when I can shell out that $10 I certainly will.

I'm highly anticipating the Birds & Buildings album (Dan Britton is a musician I simply admire, love everything of his I heard).

Anyway, back to LN, they are very much worth the 10$ (includes shipping!) and if you like that 70's prog of bands like Pink Floyd, VdGG and other 70's rock (Allman bros.) then this is for you.

Just look at their influences and sounds like as it appears in their Myspace:
Influences: The Allman Brothers Band, Andromeda, Atomic Rooster, Bad Brains, BB King, The Beatles, The Bee Gees, Camel, Captain Beyond, Caravan, Deerhoof, Dixie Dregs, Frank Zappa, Fuzzy Duck, Gentle Giant, Hot Water Music, The Ides of March, John Coltrane, King Crimson, Leaf Hound, Led Zeppelin, Love, The Move, Miles Davis, Phish, The Pretty Things, The Raw Material, Roxy Music, Spooky Tooth, The Turtles, Umphrey's McGee, Van Der Graaf Generator, Wishbone Ash, Yes The Zombies
Sounds like:
Van Der Graaf Generator, Atomic Rooster, King Crimson, Caravan, Camel, Umphrey's McGee, Dixie Dregs, Pink Floyd

Speesh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2007 at 00:28
Yeah it really sounds worth it, I'm thinking of asking for it as a present over the holidays or something. I love the artwork as well, always a nice added perk. Also they seem like a young group, it'll be interesting to see how they grow as a band/musicians.

And yeah, I love the Deluge Grander album and the Cerebus Effect albums, 2008 has me stoked for two new albums under his direction. I'm very excited to see where he takes Deluge Grander next.
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2007 at 16:37
Well, they're here....

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2007 at 19:55
They posted a new song on Myspace

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 15:00
Lobster Newberg were added to ProgArchives last month, but there's trouble in the band now. They are desperately looking for adrummer and a bass player now that three band members have left.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=102482471&blogID=351120636
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 15:09
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Lobster Newberg were added to ProgArchives last month, but there's trouble in the band now. They are desperately looking for adrummer and a bass player now that three band members have left.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=102482471&blogID=351120636

Three band members, wow!!

Hope they form a new team very soon.

(Uhm...I'll best update the bio, mentioning about the departure and the new musicians, once their problems are solved. Right?)

Edited by Ricochet - January 26 2008 at 15:10
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2008 at 15:34
^Best to do it afterwards I guess - otherwise you have to do it twice. I PM-ed them the suggestion to use the Musicians Exchange section of our forum as an additional option to look for help.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 13:53
Wow, that's rough. I hope they find people that are a good fit. But, Chicago is fertile ground for musicians. They should be O.K. As for the album, I love it more every time I listen.
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 23:11
I listened to the tracks on the MySpace a while ago, and they are great. Once I have some money I'll be buying Vernal Equinox. It sounds vintage, but new. You can hear the 70's influence but it's in a more modern context with the sonic qualities of the music.
If only they were looking for a keyboardist, I'd audition.
 Post Reply Post Reply