Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTMV - Bedlam in Goliath

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: TMV - Bedlam in Goliath
    Posted: December 11 2007 at 21:57
so far it rocks, and i below i posted all 5 videos that have come out. don't worry, all are on public servers, and completely legal. Four of them are actually on the TMV website, and the fifth likely will be too. The songs are amazing though, that's for sure. Watch and leave feedback please! If these don't get you hyped, I dunno what will!

Track 1 - Aberinkula
Aberinkula Video

Track 2 is called Metatron, and there is a :30 second clip that circulated around Myspace for anyone interested...PM me and I'll link you if you want. It was with an ad, so it was also legally released (by the band's myspace) so nothing to worry about there.

Track 3 - Ilyena
Ilyena Video

Track 4 - Wax Simulacra (official single)
Wax Simulacra Video

Track 5 - Goliath (a monster, the video cuts the song up unfortunately, it's only really like 7-8 minutes, not 10.)
Goliath Video

Track 6 is called Torniquet Man, no news on it yet except that it is short and rather soft/melodic.

Track 7 is called Cavalettas, and is long, and supposedly the heaviest song they've done.

Track 8 is called Agadez. No real news on it, except that it features "Faith No More and Bobby Brown-esque vocals at parts" ...which is HARD to imagine.

Track 9 is called Askepios, and is sweet.
Askepios Video

Track 10 is Ouroboros and supposedly is a soft and heavy song that serves as an effective, dark climax.

Track 11 is called Soothsayer, and is a long, "epic" song, with eastern tinges I do believe.

Track 12 is the final track, called Conjugal Burns, and I know nothing about it.

Anyway, enjoy--it's GREAT stuff. Don't be put off by the videos by the way, they are tongue in cheek and are going to be unified with the entire album having a video, and I assume, considering this is THE MARS VOLTA we're talking about, that they have a point outside their apparent mockery of the band's image!

Enjoy!

(evidently, as marketing, they are releasing a video by week until release...so yes, there will be more, and i'll just update this post with them as they come.)

DISCLAIMER (to save my skin!): if you don't wanna hear the album before release date (which is january 29), then simply DO NOT click on the links...have a nice day!

Edited by king volta - December 11 2007 at 22:58
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case
Figglesnout View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2007 at 22:50
Er...44 views?

no comments on the music at all yet...?

interesting. maybe it's just so good you all are paralyzed.

i hope so at least.
NotSoKoolAid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2007 at 23:48

The hooks are great in Wax Simulacra, Ilyena and Goliath, and Aberinkula and Askepios are solid tracks as well. All excellent and memorable musicianship - five for five. No random noise yet, and no Spanish vocals yet. Personally I'm very impressed.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2007 at 23:52
Originally posted by NotSoKoolAid NotSoKoolAid wrote:

The hooks are great in Wax Simulacra, Ilyena and Goliath, and Aberinkula and Askepios are solid tracks as well. All excellent and memorable musicianship - five for five. No random noise yet, and no Spanish vocals yet. Personally I'm very impressed.

i'm glad you like it!

personally, i LOVE de-loused (one of my favorites of all time) and i was sure they'd never outshine it...until this.

it's all incredibly solid, and, accordingly, Askepios/Ilyena/Aberinkula are the WORST moments on the album...and Askepios is my favorite thus far!

Alls i knows is I'm hyped as hell!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2007 at 23:54
The fact that we disagree as to our favorite tracks leads me to believe almost all people will find a little something they love about this album. Diversity in other words. I prefered their catchier stuff, along with Aberinkula, that was really interesting to me. Askepios was my least favorite. The songs seem more consistent then on Amputechture and Frances The Mute.... Definitely an album I'll buy. I just can't wait to hear the longest three tracks that haven't surfaced yet.

Thanks for bringing Ilyena to my attention, I hadn't heard that before today.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2007 at 23:57

The fact that we disagree as to our favorite tracks leads me to believe almost all people will find a little something they love about this album. Diversity in other words. I prefered their catchier stuff, along with Aberinkula, that was really interesting to me. Askepios was my least favorite. The songs seem more consistent then on Amputechture and Frances The Mute.... Definitely an album I'll buy. I just can't wait to hear the longest three tracks that haven't surfaced yet.

Thanks for bringing Ilyena to my attention, I hadn't heard that before today.

yeah, agreed. this album should bring something to everyone.

I like Askepios because of the vocals, which just move me for some reason, and my favorite sections otherwise include:

the Egyptian ending to Aberinkula,

all of Wax which, as you said, is catchy as hell, and I agree.

the "omega coda" on goliath (ending 4 minutes)

and basically all of Ilyena, which i enjoy greatly for the drumming--which by the way, I think is VERY good.

not as, i'd say, "fitting" as Theodore, much more bombastic, but I like it a lot--gives the band A LOT of energy, which is nice.

Edited by king volta - December 11 2007 at 23:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 00:03
Not to be a downer, but I already miss Theodore's Bonham/Cobham influences, two of my favorite drummers. Though I admit Pridgen is the best replacement I can think of for the group.

And yes, the ending on Goliath is a monster! Very professional, this is the epitome of prog in our day, at least in my eyes.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 00:08

Not to be a downer, but I already miss Theodore's Bonham/Cobham influences, two of my favorite drummers. Though I admit Pridgen is the best replacement I can think of for the group.

And yes, the ending on Goliath is a monster! Very professional, this is the epitome of prog in our day, at least in my eyes.

completely agreed, minus the fact that i really like the sound pridgen brings to this band, and i have to say, while i loved john's work to death, i'm not sure how these songs would've sounded with his drumming as opposed to pridgen's...not as bombastic or energetic i suspect...probably a lot more subtle though.

oh well though. i like pridgen a lot, and yes, these songs kick utter ass, and i think this album will be really well accepted among the prog community--particularly this site.

this band just keeps on developing...it's fun. Amp was a weak spot--a speed bump, and now we have this...quite possibly their best album to date.

it's awesome is what it is.

**and by the way, i wanna thank you for actually replying in this thread haha...i've had like 50000000 views, and 1 person reply...oh well. One's enough for me, now I have someone to be excited with!***

Also to note is: Have you heard Omar's new solo album? "The Apocalypse Inside of An Orange". I like it, what I've heard of it. Just thought I'd let you know if you were interested.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 00:12
Originally posted by king volta king volta wrote:

so far it rocks, and i below i posted all 5 videos that have come out. don't worry, all are on public servers, and completely legal. Four of them are actually on the TMV website, and the fifth likely will be too. The songs are amazing though, that's for sure. Watch and leave feedback please! If these don't get you hyped, I dunno what will!

Track 1 - Aberinkula
Aberinkula Video

Track 2 is called Metatron, and there is a :30 second clip that circulated around Myspace for anyone interested...PM me and I'll link you if you want. It was with an ad, so it was also legally released (by the band's myspace) so nothing to worry about there.

Track 3 - Ilyena
Ilyena Video

Track 4 - Wax Simulacra (official single)
Wax Simulacra Video

Track 5 - Goliath (a monster, the video cuts the song up unfortunately, it's only really like 7-8 minutes, not 10.)
Goliath Video

Track 6 is called Torniquet Man, no news on it yet except that it is short and rather soft/melodic.

Track 7 is called Cavalettas, and is long, and supposedly the heaviest song they've done.

Track 8 is called Agadez. No real news on it, except that it features "Faith No More and Bobby Brown-esque vocals at parts" ...which is HARD to imagine.

Track 9 is called Askepios, and is sweet.
Askepios Video

Track 10 is Ouroboros and supposedly is a soft and heavy song that serves as an effective, dark climax.

Track 11 is called Soothsayer, and is a long, "epic" song, with eastern tinges I do believe.

Track 12 is the final track, called Conjugal Burns, and I know nothing about it.

Anyway, enjoy--it's GREAT stuff. Don't be put off by the videos by the way, they are tongue in cheek and are going to be unified with the entire album having a video, and I assume, considering this is THE MARS VOLTA we're talking about, that they have a point outside their apparent mockery of the band's image!

Enjoy!

(evidently, as marketing, they are releasing a video by week until release...so yes, there will be more, and i'll just update this post with them as they come.)

DISCLAIMER (to save my skin!): if you don't wanna hear the album before release date (which is january 29), then simply DO NOT click on the links...have a nice day!

good stuff.... look forward to hearing the album
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 00:14
I've never really checked out Omar's solo stuff. I also assumed it would be horrible for some reason, kinda prejudice I guess. Is it anything like TMV? Dynamic?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 00:14
^^^glad you like it^^^
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 00:19

I've never really checked out Omar's solo stuff. I also assumed it would be horrible for some reason, kinda prejudice I guess. Is it anything like TMV? Dynamic?

well...let's see.

his manual dexterity mess isn't that great in my opinion.

Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo, is awesome in my opinion--a little TAD bit too much guitar noodling, but what do you expect? 4 stars in my book...

Click here to hear where "Goliath" came from...solo song off of Se Dice...

and go here to hear stuff off of "Apocalypse"

I think you'll like it...

There's some really great stuff on Se Dice, and, by the sound of it, Apocalypse...check it out and let me know what you think.

Edited by king volta - December 12 2007 at 00:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 00:28
Melting Chariots: Funky groove, sounds kinky, haha. I like it, pretty good.

Fuerza de Liberacion: Well I suppose if I wanted to sit around and space out (like I do to Post-Rock) this would be great!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 00:35
yeah it's good stuff.

did you listen to tollbooth?

i wish his biggest myspace still had the Se Dice content up...I wish you could hear the title track (Se Dice Bisonte...) as well as "Please Heat This Eventually" --which is an awesome 13 minute jam...it really is great.

but anyway, yeah Se Dice is good, and I expect Apocalypse will be too.
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 01:30

Sounds pretty good so far, even though I can't take the music seriously at all with those ridiculous videos lmao. I doubt it'll match the brilliance of their first two albums, though.

Juliovp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 01:49
sounds interesting, i cant wait for the cd. I hope TMV gets more heavy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 16:18
hah. well this promptly died after it was moved...eh.

oh well i guess. good riddance.
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 16:22
lol I had a thread like this a month ago but the search function here sucks so I don't care
plus any publicity is good for this album, which so far is 4/4 for me Big%20smile (haven't heard Ilyena, stupid website is down)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 16:24
Originally posted by heyitsthatguy heyitsthatguy wrote:

lol I had a thread like this a month ago but the search function here sucks so I don't careplus any publicity is good for this album, which so far is 4/4 for me Big%20smile (haven't heard Ilyena, stupid website is down)

ilyena is on youtube now if you wanna hear it.

search it up!
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 16:28
am listening now

digging it a lot but slightly miffed by how blatantly singly it sounds

would actually be an awesome choice for a single

just kind of unexpected that they'd do something this funky

that said now  I can say this album is 5 for 5 Big%20smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>