Topic Closed5BridgeS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5BridgeS
    Posted: December 15 2007 at 07:10
Dutch Symphonic quintet, heavily influenced by 70's symphonic prog bands like Genesis, Yes and ELP. Currently, the band has one demo-cd out. Worth checking out!

Web site: http://www.5bridges.nl/muziek.htm

Bio:
Five old flames relight the fire of contemporary progressive rock

Loose but tight

(bio by Bas Luijten)

The Haarlem-based progressive rock band 5bridgeS has been operating with the current line-up since the autumn of 2005. The name refers to the impressive body of work created by Keith Emerson. Five men use five staves to build a bridge to the nineteen seventies, the decade in which craftsmanship was still permitted to be warm, original and somewhat frayed at the edges. 5bridgeS creates that sound, with Hammond organ grooves, a driving rhythm section, a guitarist who knows that less is more and a vocalist/multi-intrumentalist with a voice infused with nostalgia and bel canto.

‘Fun is paramount,’ says singer Piet Roelofsen. ‘It is fantastic to arrange the music collectively. It is even cooler to get on stage and rock the audience. And be honest. How can you expect the audience to enjoy itself if you are not absolutely into what you are doing?’ We love performing, and it shows!

Photograpy: Willem Klopper (www.willemklopper.nl)

Piet, guitarist Enzo Gallo and keyboard player Luke d’Araceno are firmly rooted in classical music. The rhythmic duo of Martin Thoolen – a total symphomaniac – and the rocker Rob van der Linden lay a solidly groovy foundation for the soloists. ‘Layered music with rough edges is my thing,’ says Enzo. ‘Those who want to dance can get down and boogie, and those who like to listen are more than happy,’ clarifies Luke.

5bridgeS does more than just perform its repertoire. It is also working on the concept album The Thomas Tracks, based on Rob’s new novel – De handelingen van Thomas – which will be published by the Querido publishing house. ‘That is not a new experiment,’ explains the author/drummer. ‘I wrote the libretto for an operetta on the basis of my second novel Het logboek van Brandaan: The Brendan notes. It was recorded on CD and enclosed with the book. The fact that the composer used a great many studio musicians meant that it was impossible to play the piece live. With The Thomas Tracks we have control of everything.’

‘The progress that we are making gives me a real kick says,’ says Martin, ‘and the best thing about it is that playing generates more energy than it consumes. We really made a party of it with the audience at the annual Yes fan club day in Eindhoven. Fantastic!’

The guys are ready. Four compositions from The Thomas tracks are on the demo, the live repertoire is finished and the studio beckons.

Edited by Angelo - December 15 2007 at 07:13
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2007 at 07:16

I received a demo CD from the band, wonderful symphonic prog, Angelo Thumbs%20Up

Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2007 at 07:58
Give us a review Erik - I'm still waiting for a reply from the band on more info about the demo and the album mentioned on their web site.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2007 at 18:33
Angelo, tomorrow I will translate the review I send to 5Bridges into an English version and post it here, OK?
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2007 at 01:49
Thumbs%20Up
ISKC Rock Radio
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 15:26

Well Angelo, here it is:

5BRIDGES – The Thomas Tracks (***)

- This is a Dutch five piece band from the city Haarlem, they are rooted in 2005 and last year they send me this promo demo CD.

The Thomas Tracks is a concept album that is based upon the novel The Thomas Tracks by drummer Rob Van Der Linden (the brother of the late Rick Van Der Linden). The music is obviously drenched into the 24-carat symphonic prog tradition of The Seventies, especially 70-77 Genesis because of  the Peter Gabriel-like vocals (melancholic undertone), majestic choir-Mellotron eruptions and the use of the volume pedal in the guitarplay.

The four compositions on this demo-CD sound pleasant and melodic with tasteful keyboards (from sparkling Grand piano and flashy synthesizer flights to lush organ and Mellotron waves), varied guitarwork (from dreamy twanging and sensitive solos to fiery runs), the rhythm-section plays fluent and powerful and the singer has a good voice and hardly an accent. The band does her best to deliver vaiety and dynamics and in general they succeed, especially in the first composition On Calpe’s Rock featuring wonderful interplay between keyboards and guitar. But I am less pleased with the third track Batavian Revolt, it alternates too much between strong moments and parts that fail to keep my attention. And what a pity that the final part of the strongly build-up song Amazons & Haven ends so suddenly, I miss ‘my expected’ bombastic grand finale! Nonetheless, 5Bridges has presented a wonderful symphonic prog album with lots of good ideas and compelling moments, I am looking forward to their official debut CD!

Info:  http://www.5bridges.nl/muziek.htm 

Clap

Edited by erik neuteboom - December 18 2007 at 15:27
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 15:30
Interesting to say the least,  Erik! I dropped them an e-mail, but no reaction so far...
ISKC Rock Radio
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 16:35
Angelo, I talked with them after they had received my review, they were positive and even shared my critical comments Wink
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 17:26
Nice! Keep 'em motivated, and make sure the album arrives.
ISKC Rock Radio
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 12:51
Nice to see this band here.
March 29 they'll perform at the Yes fanclub day in Eindhoven, they'll play their own material but also a Yes meddly  and probably some  Genesis material. As my girlfriend knows the band members very well i had the privilege to see them practising , they're really good so i recommend going to this concert.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 13:50
Hey Dirk - you here? That's been a while.... I'll try to be there, but you already knew that of course Wink
ISKC Rock Radio
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2008 at 16:39
Hi Angelo, yes i got interested in how the site is doing nowadays, then  remembered that you put 5 Bridges in the unsigned section and was curious about reactions. I hope you'll make it to the concert.
Basmart View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2008 at 14:01
Hi there,

Nice to see some reviews on our demo. In the meanwhile we have created 5 more tracks which we will record including the demotracks after the summer of 2008. IFor now, it is scheduled for the beginning of 2009 that 5 Bridges will release their first official CD.

On the 29th of March we will perform in Cafe Wilhelima in Eindhoven in THE AFTERNOON due to the Yesfocus fanclub who again have invited us for a gig. Most of the gig we will play our own demo songs AND lots of new stuff. Apart from that we will perform a 40-minute medley of YES including excerpts of And You and I, Ritual, Yours is No Disgrace, Close to the edge, Gates of delerium, etc...And maybe one or two oldish Genesis-tracks just for the fun of it. Cos' its stays all soooo beautiful....
More info on www.yesfocus.org and www.5bridges.nl .

If interested, you are more than welcome to check this out.

yours kindly,  Martin (bassplayer 5B)Hug
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2008 at 15:05
Hey Martin, welcome to PA!!! Glad to see your sign up did not fail after all! Clap

And of course, we can't have enough bass players on ProgArchives Big%20smile
ISKC Rock Radio
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 16:34
I had a few good listens to the demo The Thomas Tracks. This demo confirms what I already heard in the samples - the band is definitely an old school 70s style prog band. At some point (while driving) I actually had the impression I was listening to Gabriel era Genesis. Partly due to the music (just listen to the intro of Babylonian Curse Reversed and think of Firth of Fifth), partly because of the vocals, which - although a bit less melodic - often resemble Peter Gabriels timbre.
The long compositions are very well done, and equally well played, with great guitar solo's and keyboard interludes. Not to mention the familiar rattling of a Rickenbacker bass.

Definitely recommended for those who love Genesis/Yes style long compositions with well designed long instrumental parts.

I am really looking forward to the 5bridges gig on March 29th.
ISKC Rock Radio
Antennas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2008 at 20:07
Originally posted by Basmart Basmart wrote:

Hi there,

Nice to see some reviews on our demo. In the meanwhile we have created 5 more tracks which we will record including the demotracks after the summer of 2008. IFor now, it is scheduled for the beginning of 2009 that 5 Bridges will release their first official CD.

On the 29th of March we will perform in Cafe Wilhelima in Eindhoven in THE AFTERNOON due to the Yesfocus fanclub who again have invited us for a gig. Most of the gig we will play our own demo songs AND lots of new stuff. Apart from that we will perform a 40-minute medley of YES including excerpts of And You and I, Ritual, Yours is No Disgrace, Close to the edge, Gates of delerium, etc...And maybe one or two oldish Genesis-tracks just for the fun of it. Cos' its stays all soooo beautiful....
More info on www.yesfocus.org and www.5bridges.nl .

If interested, you are more than welcome to check this out.

yours kindly,  Martin (bassplayer 5B)Hug

Hi there Martin!

Great to hear all the wonderful news. Clap
I'll make sure to include an 'official' announcement of the 5Bridges gig in Eindhoven on the first page of this site, as soon as Yesfocus has officially put it up on their site too - not as of yet as far as I could see today...
(but I did contact them again to ask them to take care of things... Wink 

Also, I'd love to take care of selling the demo at the gig. See you there! Hug

Karin

Edited by Antennas - February 17 2008 at 20:09

Jesus never managed to figure out the theremin either
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 17:27

Due to family matters I missed the gig, but I'll definitely catch the band at another opportunity - assuming more gigs are planned this year.

@Martin: to make up for it, I put the above short review on my web log - not the highest rated one on the world wide web, but it does get more hits recently. See you soon at another event!
ISKC Rock Radio
 Post Reply Post Reply