Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWoven Hand added

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woven Hand added
    Posted: December 18 2007 at 21:57
Woven Hand have been added, to Prog Folk for the time being (although they may not end up there).

Thanks to Guigo for an awesome recommendation!

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2007 at 16:10
Difficult to be categorised, no? One site lists them as Gothic Bluegrass... WackoSmile
Guigo

~~~~~~
theBox View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2007 at 01:59
Well, woven hand is one of my all-time favourite artists and while it is flattering to have them here on prog archives, I just have to ask one silly question: Isn't it a trap, in an age where the 3 chord-three minute pop (rock or otherwise) song, is considered the norm, to have artists who  expand these limitations in their arrangements considered as prog? In other words, is it functional to have artists who produce intelligent music included here simply because of that? Maybe I missed the point of prog's definition entirely, but  woven hand is for  me (along with tenhi, decemberists  muse and others)  just  a band  who  is  putting into their music a lot more than  britney  spears , but prog folk? What  would  Gryphon say about that?

P.S.: I'm sorry for bringing up this age old and boring issue but sometimes I feel more than confused with some of the choices being made. No hard feelings...

P.S. II : It also seems to me that by including controversial artists (as far as their prog status is concerned)  and by playing the game "If X is here, then so should Y", that  this site  is being  degraded NOT  in quality, but in functionality and FOCUS.

Edited by theBox - December 21 2007 at 02:08
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2007 at 03:43
Clap
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2007 at 03:59
Excellent

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2007 at 04:17

Reading the first post here we can check that the adder leaves the door open for an eventual genre change.

Anyway, Folk isn't a synonimous of "Celtic"... we may find folk everywhere, be it in Ghana or Venezuela or South Korea and they have nothing to do with Celtic. Some people are supporting to change the name from Folk to Ethnic which in my opinion will bring more confusion because, in many countries, the term ethnic refers to some popular tunes, like salsa, rumba, cumbia, etc.

Not using the old "if X is here then why not Y" but Muse and Decemberists were already part of PA. If we decide to have bands considered 100% prog then our band list will fall from the current 3,000 to less than 10% of this number.

Guigo

~~~~~~
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2007 at 07:42
Originally posted by theBox theBox wrote:

Well, woven hand is one of my all-time favourite artists and while it is flattering to have them here on prog archives, I just have to ask one silly question: Isn't it a trap, in an age where the 3 chord-three minute pop (rock or otherwise) song, is considered the norm, to have artists who  expand these limitations in their arrangements considered as prog? In other words, is it functional to have artists who produce intelligent music included here simply because of that? Maybe I missed the point of prog's definition entirely, but  woven hand is for  me (along with tenhi, decemberists  muse and others)  just  a band  who  is  putting into their music a lot more than  britney  spears , but prog folk? What  would  Gryphon say about that?

P.S.: I'm sorry for bringing up this age old and boring issue but sometimes I feel more than confused with some of the choices being made. No hard feelings...

P.S. II : It also seems to me that by including controversial artists (as far as their prog status is concerned)  and by playing the game "If X is here, then so should Y", that  this site  is being  degraded NOT  in quality, but in functionality and FOCUS.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is the only age in which "3 chord-three minute pop songs" are the norm.  I have a very large stack of albums from the early 70s that make a good argument this was the norm when prog dinosaurs roamed the earth as well.

And "...is it functional to have artists who produce intelligent music included here?"  I hope so; otherwise we are resigned to becoming an anachronism rather quickly since there is very little new music being made today that fits any conservative definition of "progressive".  Most of the guys who defined the standard aren't even making anything we would include here today were it not for their historical bodies of work and their reputations.

Woven Hand (and the Decemberists, and probably Muse although I don't know them much) are definitely not here as a result of an "if X then Y" rationale.  And sure, there is some controversy about whether they should be here, although frankly there was a lot more controversy when the Beatles, the Who, Deep Purple, or even Blue Öyster Cult were added, but we seem to have survived.  I personally could name at least 50 bands I don't think belong here, as could most other members.  But that's not surprising considering the vast range of cultures, personalities, generations and interests that are represented here.

I don't think expanding our base of artists dilutes the focus of this site at all.  If anything, I would hope that recognizing artists who are actually still producing 'intelligent music' would serve to promote them and expand the interests of some of our members at the same time.  I have been richly rewarded by introductions to bands I previously hadn't heard of (Woven Hand among them) because someone took the time to present them here.

And the site's focus is still on the 'classics'.  Just check the Top-100 list: the newest album in the Top-10 is more than 30 years old; and the 4,586 combined reviews of those records will never be threatened by newer artists, at least not in our lifetimes.

As a collaborator I have the privilege of being able to add new bands to our archives, and like the other collabs I don't take that privilege lightly.  But as a habitual reviewer I also know I'd rather present my views on an album nobody else has reviewed, then to simply add another "me too" to the other 622 ITCHYCOCK reviews.

Hope that helps explain another perspective on your very valid question.

peace

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
 Post Reply Post Reply