Topic ClosedInterview with Mikael Åkerfeldt, Dec 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2008 at 16:35
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Doesn't sound too happy does he?

"One thing I don't want to hear is that I'm doing commercial music and there's no feeling to it. That kind of hurts"

I hope that doesn't just translate to "I'm going to play heavier to make the band more popular..."

Loved Ghost Reveries, but I think I'll hear the next album before buying

I concur with that, though he did say the music would be more complex. Still, considering his attitude, I will definitely sample the album first. It almost sounds like he's venting his anger into the music. And I was looking forward to the album following Ghost Reveries considering the evolution the band seemed to be making with that great album. Unhappy
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2008 at 21:00
Originally posted by Draith Draith wrote:

I concur with that, though he did say the music would be more complex. Still, considering his attitude, I will definitely sample the album first. It almost sounds like he's venting his anger into the music. And I was looking forward to the album following Ghost Reveries considering the evolution the band seemed to be making with that great album. Unhappy

ehhhh...  no matter how good any kind of follow up to Ghost Reveries might be..  I like the fact they are heading off in a different direction from  that album.  Look at PT... had a classic in In Absentia.. and stuck to the same formula and each one has been a step down from the last.  If Wilson wants to be thought of as the genius some want to see him as... be bold.. do something different.. not what people expect or want.  Sure the lads at Opeth could have done another album in the vein of GR.. and we might have even liked it.. but this... is progressing.. changing.. evolving.. isn't that what we like about prog. Isn't it would we expect from prog.

Edited by micky - January 25 2008 at 21:01
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2008 at 09:03
I'm really looking forward to this album, it seems right up my street. Contrary to many people here, I dont think Ghost Reveries was a brilliant album. Dont get me wrong, it was good, but it wasnt a patch on Blackwater Park, an album that lived by its dark and melencholic atmosphere, something that I thought was missing a fair bit on GR. 
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 18:21
I kinda secretly want to hear Akerfeldt go apesh*t angry crazy musically for an album, if only to see how it would come out

wish granted it seems

Draith View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2008 at 22:09
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Draith Draith wrote:

ehhhh...  no matter how good any kind of follow up to Ghost Reveries might be..  I like the fact they are heading off in a different direction from  that album.  Look at PT... had a classic in In Absentia.. and stuck to the same formula and each one has been a step down from the last.  If Wilson wants to be thought of as the genius some want to see him as... be bold.. do something different.. not what people expect or want.  Sure the lads at Opeth could have done another album in the vein of GR.. and we might have even liked it.. but this... is progressing.. changing.. evolving.. isn't that what we like about prog. Isn't it would we expect from prog.

Yes, I didn't mean sticking to the same formula, I mean the progression of their albums. For example, Rush progressed their sound from one album to the next, each making sense compared to the album before. But who knows, it may be the prog masterpiece of the century, it may be a total flop. It all comes down to the quality writing, regardless of the album's mood. I'm looking forward to it if it's even more progressive and innovative than GR!

p.s. sorry to burst your bubble but I'm not much of a fan of PT Wink
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 19:40
me either LOL but I did like In Absentia.  I am really looking forward to this album by Opeth... the more I hear from them.. the more I love the group. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SFranke View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 20:18
http://www.bravewords.com/news/82363

Nothing new, just Åkerfeldt saying what I was hoping he'd say.

Money quote:

Originally posted by Åkerfeldt Åkerfeldt wrote:

It’s very extreme in parts and it’s extreme in both directions. It’s not so catchy and it’s not very commercial sounding.

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2008 at 04:00
Well if it happens to be less commerical sounding and fairly heavy, i think they might be on a winner.
dima_olkov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 08:09

2008-02-05

"Watershed" is the name of Opeth´s 9th studio observation. The album has just been mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren with M. Åkerfeldt. The album consist of 7 songs and the titles are as follows:

1. Coil
2. Heir Apparent
3. The Lotus Eater
4. Burden
5. Porcelain Heart
6. Hessian Peel
7 Hex Omega

All the songs have been written by M. Åkerfeldt apart from "Porcelain Heart" which was co-written with Fredrik Åkesson. One additonal track, "Derelict Herds" has also been recorded and this was written by Mikael Åkerfeldt and Per Wiberg. On top of this, 3 cover songs has been recorded. "Bridge of sighs" from Robin Trower´s 1974 Lp with the same title, "Den ständiga resan" (sung in Swedish) by Marie Fredriksson as well as the classic Alice in Chains song, "Would?".

The album was recorded at Fascination street studios during November 1 and December 13. Some addtional recordings were done between January 3rd and 7th. Produced by Jens Bogren and Mikael Åkerfeldt and Opeth.

Says Mikael Åkerfeldt: "I´ve worked so hard with these songs for quite some time now, I´ve listened to 'em a zillion times. I don't hate them just yet! The album sounds great sonically and I think I can hear us evolving as the record plays on. It is taking us somewhere musically and I don't know where. It's very exciting to say the least! I can't remember having enjoyed a recording this much ever before."

The cover was (as usual) designed by Travis Smith in co-operation with Åkerfeldt. Release date is yet to be confirmed but Roadrunner worldwide will have it out sometime in the Springtime of this year.

PF, Genesis, KC, Yes, VdGG, GG, Camel, Jethro Tull
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 08:12
Heart
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2008 at 09:40
as I posted in another thread LOLWink

awesome... will be fighting the young hordes at the local Borders for this when it comes out.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2008 at 14:36
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

as I posted in another thread LOLWink

awesome... will be fighting the young hordes at the local Borders for this when it comes out.

I have a remedy for that, Amazon.co.uk, its cheaper as well.Wink
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2008 at 14:46
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

I'm really looking forward to this album, it seems right up my street. Contrary to many people here, I dont think Ghost Reveries was a brilliant album. Dont get me wrong, it was good, but it wasnt a patch on Blackwater Park, an album that lived by its dark and melencholic atmosphere, something that I thought was missing a fair bit on GR. 

I agree, although I don't hate it, and it WAS my first Opeth album, as time moved on it just feels like it doesn't have as much saying power. Plus I hated the production

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2008 at 02:24
I hope they don't lose their softer side entirely; that's what attracted me to them in the first place Disapprove
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2008 at 23:12
if anything Damnation was a "commercial record" which it wasn't by any means...It's just the closest thing to one they've come...Ghost Reveries is amazing..

I can't wait for the new release, I'll be at best buy the day they release it Smile
esp1988 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 08:36
Opeth are awesome, a very tight and mature band..
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2008 at 19:22
Hey this interview is only about a month and half away from taking place!
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123