Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedthe official Krobak appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2008 at 20:23
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

patience is the only cure, my friend [wiseman]

no, no G'n'R kind of thing here - to be fairly honest, I already got a second album ready and currently working on a third record, which is supposed to be a lot HEAVIER than previous ones

Wow, you're pretty prolific. It's too bad it's so difficult to get label attention. In what sort of way is it going to be heavy? Will you be adding brutal riffage and death grunts to your post-rock?
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 07:17
No, mostly Post-Metal kind of thing. The same epic post-rock just heavier
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 08:56
I actually have heard very little post metal, all I'm really familiar with is Isis, so I'm not really sure what to expect, but that's usually a good thing. 
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2008 at 10:55
 "KROBAK is ready for the world but, unfortunately, the world is not ready for KROBAK."

That`s a quote from my upcoming review there Igor. Finally listened to Amnesia, so it`s coming!

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 10:15
wow pathos
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 11:18
It get`s deeper just wait for it Stern%20Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2008 at 11:28
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2008 at 11:32
and?..
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2008 at 20:02
damn...I owe you a review Igor...  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 17:12
while others owe , Assaf does! Detailed and informative as ever, decent review with some important ideas...don't miss it!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 17:16
bear with me.. in case you haven't noticed.. I have been inspired by Raff's return to reviewing and have done more reviews in the last week than in the previous  6 months.  So I defintely will get to it.  I owe two people specifically...reviews.  And you are tops on that list.  LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 17:55
Igor, I'm listening to your stuff right now, but I just found out that I'm missing the song diary of a missed one...
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 18:02
It was known as Album's Preview (because it really is ) on KROBAK's MySpace...I'll send to you later...and I already thinkinh og uploading the whole split to the Net...just ask my KRIKSTON buddy if he minds (I believe he won't)
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2008 at 18:04
great review Assaf! 

KROBAK

Structura Tortura

Boxset/Compilation

Review | Album details | All reviews | Buy Music
Review by avestin (Assaf Vestin)
[Special Collaborator Zeuhl/RIO/Avant Team]
Posted 4:05:22 PM EST, 2/16/2008

3%20stars In the beginning he had a Split

I am lucky to know Igor (Sidorenko) and to have received a copy of his first release, the split with Krikston, Structura Tortura. Igor was kind enough to offer this split to me and in return I promised to write a review of it.

Reminiscing of the atmosphere found in GYBE’s albums (as well as in others like Mono and Larua) the music travels from the quiet, low-profile and serene to higher planes of the guitar climaxes.

The (very) slow build up in Amnesia is well done; it’s not devoid of melody, meaning it is not just a structural approach of letting the guitar and percussions create a slowly developing rhythm and pattern. The melody starts in this part, creating the core already there (it is not always the case, like I hear in other post-rock bands). The string (synth) backup gives a nice soothing touch to the tune (reminds me of a soundtrack a-la Clint Mansell). However I feel there could have been more delivered in this track; more development, introducing another musical idea or theme, add a contrasting instrument or sound to the synth and guitar or have them play together. Of the three tracks, this is my favourite one.

The Diary Of The Missed one starts with an interesting effect of a guitar followed by two over layers of guitars, with again a GYBEian or even EITSian sound. It’s sounds like a short jam and at first I wasn’t sure where this will lead. And indeed it changes style/sound (but keeps the main idea and atmosphere. Nicely done and keeps the flow. However, here it comes to what I hear as a more derivative sound in the climax. This is where I think Igor will need to change, bring other ideas, creative and more original to create his own sound. That is, if he intends on separating himself from the “herd”. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not bad at all. In fact it’s pretty good and I enjoy listening to it; but in order to establish a musical identity (if one is indeed wanted), then going on one’s own musical journey and experimentation is required to achieve that goal. Around the 8 minute in the track comes a part which illustrates some of what I mean; the introduction of the piano and other sounds on the synth and the effects on the background is a good start to get there. The quick change a minute and a half later is a technique he could also use more to attain that objective. However, in general I think this particular track is lacking a connecting thread (unless such proposition was not intended to begin with); I like the way it jumps from idea to idea, but at times it feels like a bunch of ideas, was condensed into one track. And these different ingredients don’t necessarily go with each other hand in hand (though mostly they do, but at times it feels like one idea had simply run its course and another unrelated one was brought in to replace it).

The Fried Bull’s Waltz has a promising abstract intro made up of a loud raw guitar riffing away in intervals. The sudden adding of percussion is done well. The effects with the guitar are a good addition and create a slightly eerie atmosphere, somewhat spacey in nature but this is counteracted by the rawness of the guitar (which sounds slightly skewed). This long episode/intro is a promising one, I find and can be the basis for many different interpretations and build ups. However it lingers too long and remains undeveloped. I think he missed a good opportunity here to do many interesting things with this basic pattern. Playing with effects to give a psychedelic trip is a good idea, but I just feel this could have been done otherwise, or rather been developed in various directions. However I do like the eerie (even creepy) and psychedelic mood he develops with the guitar and its effects.

This music deserves a full lineup of musicians performing it; it will sound sublime. However, kudos for Igor for pulling it off himself and making it sound this good.

Based on this release, I think Igor will do great in his future musical career.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 15:32
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2008 at 17:59
great news! i posted something similar in the other thread but it's never a bad thing to reiterate something like that. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2008 at 08:17
New EP released! It's called "Vorkoma", it contians 4 guitar-only (mostly) tracks and it's free to download via MySpace and LastFM. CD release is also planned, later this Spring
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 03:12
Here's my review of "Vorkoma"

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=163076

please don't be too upset since i only gave it four stars
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 14:33
[>;D<]

thanks a lot!!! in fact, I'd give it 4 stars as well I need to gather me up and write a review!
sean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2008 at 18:33
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

[>;D<]

thanks a lot!!! in fact, I'd give it 4 stars as well I need to gather me up and write a review!

at least you're objective when it comes to your own work. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>