Progarchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Jan Hammer appreciation thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum SearchSearch  Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJan Hammer appreciation thread

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jan Hammer appreciation thread
    Posted: December 21 2007 at 17:39
A big influencer... Fans?
Back to Top
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Jazz-Rock Specialist

Joined: April 19 2004
Location: England
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12324
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2007 at 18:36
Any help:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44121&KW=jan+hammer
The best eclectic music on the Web,8-11pm BST/GMT THURS.
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Back to Top
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: July 14 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3438
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2007 at 19:24

What's interesting to me is that Jan Hammer, while playing in the original incarnation of Mahavishnu, did not even have a synthesizer.

I had the good fortune of seeing a Mahavishnu/ELP double bill, way back when.  Jan's only instrument was a Rhodes, though he had some ring modulator effect box attached, which he used to approximate the bends of guitar notes.  He was quite accomplished, but of course we weren't there to hear Mahavishnu and were just biding our time until ELP took the stage.Wink
 
However I remember my guitar-playing friends being slack-jawed...
Back to Top
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Jazz-Rock Specialist

Joined: April 19 2004
Location: England
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12324
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2007 at 05:39
Originally posted by jammun

What's interesting to me is that Jan Hammer, while playing in the original incarnation of Mahavishnu, did not even have a synthesizer.

I had the good fortune of seeing a Mahavishnu/ELP double bill, way back when.  Jan's only instrument was a Rhodes, though he had some ring modulator effect box attached, which he used to approximate the bends of guitar notes.  He was quite accomplished, but of course we weren't there to hear Mahavishnu and were just biding our time until ELP took the stage.Wink
 
However I remember my guitar-playing friends being slack-jawed...


However, by the mid-70's Jan Hammer's development of the Mini-Moog meant his style of playing and indeed his sound were most distinctive. Remember last year Moog presented him with a lifetime achievement award for his work on their synths.

Besides who could afford synths at the very beginning of the 70's - Moog seemed to be restricted to recording studios, Walter Carlos or Keith Emerson? Fender Rhodes was one of the keyboard instruments of choice - btw great to hear Alan Pasqua's new album The Anti-social Club (also his DVD withAllan Holdsworth - Live At Yoshi's), utilising the latest genration of Rhodes, in this recording.
The best eclectic music on the Web,8-11pm BST/GMT THURS.
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Back to Top
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: April 29 2006
Location: Atlantais
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 27060
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2007 at 06:33
I don't want to knock the guy, because I am a long time fan.  But that whole synthesizer as guitar thing grew old after a while.  Then it seems he was trying too hard for commercial success and the music suffered.  For me he really went down hill after Oh Yeah.  The Miami Vice soundtrack certainly bought him some commercial success and it's OK though I don't have it in my collection.  I am really happy that his earlier discography has come out on CD.  One of the more pleasant surprises for me has been discovering "Highway Made Of Glass" from Hammer number two.  Sounds like a Porcupine Tree song.
Back to Top
Woodbridge View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Avatar

Joined: November 17 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 28
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2007 at 22:36
It's sad that I consider myself a progger and my only Jan Hammer experience, is his two collaboration albums with Neal Schon.
 
I LOVE the two Schon & Hammer albums, some experimental arena rock, right up my alley.. great music. I'll need to delve into Mahavishnu and his solo offerings someday soon.


Edited by Woodbridge - December 22 2007 at 22:37
Back to Top
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: September 22 2005
Location: Wuhan, China
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1300
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2007 at 02:07
Originally posted by Dick Heath


btw great to hear Alan Pasqua's new album The Anti-social Club (also his DVD withAllan Holdsworth - Live At Yoshi's), utilising the latest genration of Rhodes, in this recording.
Since you went 'off-topic' with this, Dick, what is it about the guy writing in the liner notes of Holdsworth's original solo release (1976) basically saying that Pasqua was a mediocre keyboardist 'going nowhere' with his career?  Is this because Pasqua landed in Nashville for a while (during the 1980s and 1990s) and played on some CCM (Contemporary Christian Music) albums (e.g., Twyla Paris)?  I think Pasqua is one of the finest, most under-rated keyboardists in the jazz-rock genre.  I mean anyone who gets to play consistently with Allan Holdsworth (!) has got to be pretty good...
Back to Top
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: April 29 2006
Location: Atlantais
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 27060
Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2007 at 03:41
Originally posted by Woodbridge

It's sad that I consider myself a progger and my only Jan Hammer experience, is his two collaboration albums with Neal Schon.
 
I LOVE the two Schon & Hammer albums, some experimental arena rock, right up my alley.. great music. I'll need to delve into Mahavishnu and his solo offerings someday soon.

One of his proggiest post Mahavishnu albums is the duo with Jerry Goodman, Like Children.  I'd start there if I were you.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.69
Copyright ©2001-2010 Web Wiz

This page was generated in 0.188 seconds.