Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDeluge Grander Query

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deluge Grander Query
    Posted: December 23 2007 at 13:44
Hi folks,

Some of you may have noticed that Dan Britton, keyboardist extraordinaire and leader of Deluge Grander (who recorded one of last year's most fascinating prog albums), has joined Prog Archives under the name EMKOGCEO. Great to have you here, Dan!

You know, I've been dying to find out what "Inaugural Bash" (the opening track on AUGUST IN THE URALS) is really about. Perhaps someone could now enlighten me?
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2007 at 13:49
I guess Dan himself could answer that, it's great to have him here in PA.
I am a big fan of his creative musical mind and look forward to the Birds & Buildings release to come out and to the next DG release.

emkogceo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 00:37
Well, I get the feeling I'm breaking the artist's code by responding, but what the heck:

initially I had conceived this grand story of some kind of political figure getting drunk and falling asleep at his "inaugural bash" and having surrealistic dreams about how he could use his power to enslave the people who elected him.  This was AFTER most of the piece was written though.  Some early versions of the song had vocals all over the place, but, as I'm not the most adept singer, I opted to take most of them out.  Plus it's really hard to write lyrics that will get the point across and still sound good.   I think I had titles for all 7 parts that would try to tell the story too, but also opted to not use them. 

So I guess the only things in there to give an idea about the song's plot are the picture in the booklet, the words in parts 3, 6, and 7, and maybe the mood of each part.  Part 1 is sort of normal sounding, part 2 is dreamier, part 3 is bizarre, part 4 is rockier in a "let's get down to business" kind of way, part 5 is complex and sort of scary, part 6 is like a surreal march, and part 7 is the culmination of that march.  The only things I had room to fit in the plan for the picture were the politician dreaming at the bash (parts 1 and 2), an overcrowded prison (parts 3, 4, and 5 maybe), and people building a giant pillar (parts 6 and 7).

New Deluge Grander album to be done by the end of 2008 I hope!
www.emkog.com
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 03:23
Oh, thanks very much! Just what I was hoping for. Looking forward to the next DG album, and all your other projects!
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 10:06
Thank you very much for that, Dan.
Looking forward to both DG and B&B albums! All the best with those!

Post Reply Post Reply