Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVAST (USA)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: VAST (USA)
    Posted: December 24 2007 at 06:58
I think that VAST could be added to the prog related or crossover prog category. Smile
http://www.myspace.com/vast

Biography

Coming of age in the Bay Area in the mid 90s, VAST front man Jon Crosby was exposed to an eclectic mix of alternative music, global consciousness, coffeehouse culture, and the Internet. It was in this atmosphere he began experimenting with mixing electronic, world, classical, metal, and pop to create a sound that music critics found impossible to classify.

“I felt when I started that I wanted to explore new ground,” Crosby says. “I figured every genre came from somewhere. Sometimes it’s just a matter of mixing different styles, and sometimes it’s just a mistake. Either way, it’s exciting.” Through a series of demos and shows, VAST was signed to Elektra and in 1998 released their self-titled debut, which has since become a cult classic. However, the sophomore release, Music for People, while expanding VAST’s fan base, wasn’t a huge commercial and critical success by the label’s standards. “I love that record, but I’ve found over the years you have hits and misses. I think that record might have been self-indulgent in the wrong way (laughs).” It became clear at this point that when it came to VAST’s future, Crosby and Elektra had disparate visions.

Crosby left Los Angeles to seek solace in the Southwest for a year of reflection. “I was signed at 20, and even by then had been working for years on music alone,” he muses. “At that time, I was 26 and between recording and touring, I hadn’t had a chance to live life.” His sojourn in New Mexico ultimately resulted a series of online downloads titled Turquoise & Crimson. This move marked a unique method to release music directly to fans, bypassing big retailers and other sources. The true entrepreneurial breakthrough was selling only bundles of songs, rather than single downloads. “I didn’t want people listening to one song,” Crosby says. “I wanted them to hear where I was going.” Select songs from Turquoise & Crimson were later compiled and released as the c.d. Nude in 2004 through 456 Entertainment.

“Releasing Nude on 456 was a nightmare,” Crosby says. “There were so many problems dealing with them on every level. I feel we made a big mistake not believing in ourselves enough and doing it on our own.” Borne out of this experience was Crosby’s own label, 2blossoms Records & Media. The first CD. was be released in stores in May 2006. “Running a label is whole different experience. But it’s the only way I can make sure my vision is intact and I can live up to the high expectations of our fans. The days of the aloof rock star are over; now more than ever doing new things is important, and if you can’t keep up with what’s going on, you’re left in the dust.” Moving forward also meant the addition of new band members. Michael Austinmoore (bass) of San Diego came on board just prior to the 2004 tour, and Austin native Ben Fenton (guitar) joined VAST in early 2006.

In response to the growing demands of fans, VAST released the download April, an acoustic project that showcases Crosby’s songwriting abilities. The wide release is slated for April 2007. “I feel like for the first time I have found my niche and my voice,” Crosby says. “I feel that people are finally beginning to understand me. It feels right and earned. I think the future is exciting, and I can’t wait. But I’m mostly excited about today. Now is where it’s at.” VAST will tour this spring and summer and are selling tickets directly to fans through their website, once again proving they are on the forefront of a new movement of musicians who are taking their business and their art into their own hands.

Although critics have compared VAST to a number of commercially successful bands throughout the years, Crosby’s unique songwriting and production style continues to cleverly evade niche appeal. “When people hear our debut CD for the first time, they think it was recorded recently,” he says. “It was recorded in 1998! I’m proud of this, and I think it goes to show that there is light at the end of the tunnel when you focus more on growing artistically and less on growing financially. People do notice the effort someone puts in to making something special.”

Edited by PhideauxFan - December 26 2007 at 05:12
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 08:36
The songs on the  myspace page sound really good! Thumbs%20Up
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 09:57

I haven't listened to VAST since Visual Audio Sensory Theater... and on that alone I would say "possibly".

Could you recommend an album that is more prog which would tip the scales in their favour?

What?
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2007 at 05:09
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

I haven't listened to VAST since Visual Audio Sensory Theater... and on that alone I would say "possibly".

Could you recommend an album that is more prog which would tip the scales in their favour?

The first album of VAST is some kind of musical UFO, difficult to put in a rock category.

Their third album Nude was on the label Inside Out Europe.

And Jon Crosby has said that the new cd April was his prefered one with Visual Audio Sensory Theater.

So, the only category VAST can go to IMHO is Prog Related.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2007 at 07:27
The first album crossed many genres of Rock including Industrial, Nu-Metal and Gothic Rock but the Prog influence is slight IMO and probably limited to the string orchestration that gives some of the songs a symphonic feel that is more of Darkwave than Neo-Prog.

To be honest I am reluctant to propose VAST to the Admins for PR inclusion because I don't feel that the material I have heard meets the PR definition criteria sufficiently to warrant their addition.

However, this conclusion is based upon their first album and the MySpace samples since I have not heard Nude at all (being signed to Inside/Out does not automatically qualify a band for inclusion Wink) and only two tracks from April.
What?
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2007 at 04:37
Ok, I understand your reasoning darqdean. Smile
Maybe, VAST is a band that some progheads could like, especially those who listen to prog related or crossover prog.  
 Post Reply Post Reply