Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDavid Sylvian / Nine Horses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: David Sylvian / Nine Horses
    Posted: December 30 2007 at 06:27
I felt free to add a few albums to the David Sylvian profile, among them "Snow Borne Sorrow" and "Money For All" which people may claim are technically not Sylvian albums as they were released under the name Nine Horses. A similar situation as with the Rain Tree Crow project, which also was "close" to a Sylvian solo project but released under a different name, and which consequently has been given a separate profile in the Archives.

My question: Is this significantly different from i.e. the Sylvian|Fripp project which is included in the Sylvian profile, so that we should add a Nine Horses profile, or is my addition to the Sylvian profile sufficient?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2007 at 06:57
as caretakers of a sort of Sylvian...I have no problem with it being added under Sylvian.  The aim of the database is to facilitate exploring artists... it stands to reason that someone starting with Secrets of the Beehive or Brilliant Trees .. might better find those albums. I looked at your album additions and they look spot on to me.  However the discographies people might want it done differently.. if so... we'll do another entry. At this point... looks great to me Clap

Edited by micky - December 30 2007 at 06:58
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2007 at 08:29
The Nine Horses album fits well with Sylvian's other discography, but I think it would be more consistent if Nine Horses were added as a band just like Rain Tree Crow, which is basically Japan with another name.

The First Day and Damage are listed under both Sylvian and Fripp, but the two albums by Sylvian and Holger Czukay are only listed under Sylvian. Why?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2007 at 12:58

My thoughts are to list each side project seperately, (I think there is enough precident to do this). I don't know why the Sylvian/Czukay albums aren't listed seperately - Czukay is as "well known" on prog circles, if not more so.

What?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2007 at 19:17
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

My thoughts are to list each side project seperately, (I think there is enough precident to do this). I don't know why the Sylvian/Czukay albums aren't listed seperately - Czukay is as "well known" on prog circles, if not more so.

Personally... for sake of 'exposure'  I'd like to see them under Sylvian.  It's not exactly like he has formed a new group... they are one off side projects..  like Nine Horses. It is  Sylvian, his brother, and other collaborators.  It's not like Steve Wilson...and his side projects ...he is not an 'artist' in his own right. What other precedent of 'solo' artists is there Dean. I'm not coming up with one off the top of my head.   I'll bow to precedence I guess.. though it makes no sense to me.  Guess I'm getting old and crotchety for the new year LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2007 at 20:21
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

Personally... for sake of 'exposure'  I'd like to see them under Sylvian.  It's not exactly like he has formed a new group... they are one off side projects..  like Nine Horses. It is  Sylvian, his brother, and other collaborators.  It's not like Steve Wilson...and his side projects ...he is not an 'artist' in his own right. What other precedent of 'solo' artists is there Dean. I'm not coming up with one off the top of my head.   I'll bow to precedence I guess.. though it makes no sense to me.  Guess I'm getting old and crotchety for the new year LOL
Okay, my first choice would have been Steven Wilson Embarrassed ... and he has released a couple of albums and four singles under his own name as a solo artist Wink, another is Arjen Lucassen who is also better known for his side projects than his solo releases - but all his prog side projects have separate entries (Ayreon, Ambeon, Stream of Passion).

For the sake of 'exposure' I'll give you Nine Horses -  that project was like a Jazz-Fusion version of Japan, (all be it without Barbieri or Karn), however, by that same argument Rain Tree Crow is a proggier version of Japan and gets a separate entry. I just think we should be consistent.

The Sylvian/Czukay albums are nothing like anything else Sylvian has done so they are not representative nor are they something I would casually recommend to someone - these two albums are a joint-venture and could equally be listed under Czukay.

There are others that are listed separately as both solo and joint-venture artists, such Fripp & Eno, McLaughlin & di Meola, Rudess & Petrucci, Cutler & Frith... erm Ermm Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe.....(okay, I'm getting silly now LOL)

What?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2007 at 21:04
hahahhhaha..... I do agree on Sylvian Czukay albums... we should create a seperate entry on them.  I'd say that if Nine Horse becomes more a 'band' that just a one-off side project of Sylvian himself... I'd be the first on  board for seperating them.  My concern is just make sure things flow smoothly for anyone exploring him (or other artists) ... and exposure should be be one of the highest priorites here.  If you do think it best to seperate them.. of course I'm on board.  Just see merit in leaving them as they are.. until the fact this IS an established group.. and not just an offshoot of David Sylvian the artist. Cheers Dean HeartLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply